Thread: Orderville Gulch

Orderville Gulch

Hey all,
    Does anyone have a picture of the initial rappel into Orderville Gulch? Just wanting to get an idea of the anchor point and the perspective of the actual rappel. I havent rappeled since my days in the service so I am just trying to get some ideas on the amount of re-training needed before I get out to Zion this summer.

Thanks in advance for your help

Gary

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There is a 125' rappel at the head of Orderville Gulch that also has a walk around trail, is that the anchor you want to see?

Or the one at the first 15' chokestone that you have to rappel/downclimb?

FYI: You will also have a second 12' chokestone that you have to rappel/downclimb.

Orderville Gulch
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/orderville.htm

The only thing I have a picture of is the second 12' chokestone rappel/downclimb

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    There is a 125' rappel at the head of Orderville Gulch that also has a walk around trail, is that the anchor you want to see?

FYI: You will also have a second 12' chokestone that you have to rappel/downclimb.

Orderville Gulch http://climb-utah.com/Zion/orderville.htm

The only thing I have a picture of is the second 12' chokestone rappel/downclimb
    There was just a trip report that covers that.

Shane's picture is at "The Guillotine". In my memory, there have not been logs there the last couple of years. When there is a good set of logs, it is a reasonable downclimb. When not, not. The rock (and the logs) gets very polished by the silt and people's feet.

Your original question is odd. Having a picture of the rappel is unlikely to be an effective substitute for knowing what you are doing. (Perhaps I state the obvious, as usual).

Tom

The TR Tom is talking about is here:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18991

The info on the 125' rappel into Orderville Gulch begins at the bottom of the first page. There are several pictures but none of the anchor. This is the rappel that has a walk-around.

And yes... my Orderville pictures are several years old.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

Orderville Gulch http://climb-utah.com/Zion/orderville.htm

There was just a trip report that covers that.

Shane's picture is at "The Guillotine". In my memory, there have not been logs there the last couple of years. When there is a good set of logs, it is a reasonable downclimb. When not, not. The rock (and the logs) gets very polished by the silt and people's feet.

Your original question is odd. Having a picture of the rappel is unlikely to be an effective substitute for knowing what you are doing. (Perhaps I state the obvious, as usual).

Tom
    Tom,
    Correct, not using the pictures as training. I am just trying to figure out what I want to do in Zion and what I need to do to be able to achieve my objectives. Not really a noob but it has been a while since I have been on the end of a rope. I am not going to do anything that would be out of my skill set.
    I appologize in advance as I am running on information overload after reading this forum for the last several days. My head is spinning!

Gary

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Akers
    Tom,
    Correct, not using the pictures as training. I am just trying to figure out what I want to do in Zion and what I need to do to be able to achieve my objectives. Not really a noob but it has been a while since I have been on the end of a rope. I am not going to do anything that would be out of my skill set.
    I appologize in advance as I am running on information overload after reading this forum for the last several days. My head is spinning!

Gary
    Welcome Gary, and you are in a perfect place (Bogley) to hook up (ahem, non-Biblically) with folks here for adventures in Zion. When you get some free time, float an inquiry out here and maybe you can round up a posse.

Tom

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Akers
    I am just trying to figure out what I want to do in Zion and what I need to do to be able to achieve my objectives. Not really a noob but it has been a while since I have been on the end of a rope. I am not going to do anything that would be out of my skill set.
    Gary, I think you, and your boys, may be a perfect candidates for the annual Zion noobfest. Some of the skills in canyoneering are different than being on an end of a rope. Wait around a few months for talk and then planning for the 2010 fest.

2008 fest
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11577

2009 fest
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15843

2010 hasn't been plan but there is talk of a seprate "family" fest
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19412

I do think Orderville is a good introductory level canyon if you are prepared for the length of the hike. As for the first rappel, I do not have a ready pic but found the first mandatory obstacle on Bo & Tanya