Thread: Pigging out

Pigging out

Caught a 14 inch rainbow today and inside it were about 15 of these minnows in various stages of digestion. What a pig! My wife caught the other fish in the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Pigging out

Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker
    Caught a 14 inch rainbow today and inside it were about 15 of these minnows in various stages of digestion. What a pig! My wife caught the other fish in the pic.
    Wow! All you can eat.

So why aren't minnows a common type of lure for these smaller trout?

Actually, we caught the fish on a minnow imitation. Berkley Gulp. Good stuff.

I've actually had pretty decent success with it. I put one of the minnows on a jighead about 2 feet below a small strike indicator from fly fishing. I fish it somewhat like a hybrid between lures and bait- cast it out, drift it, and cast it out again.

My favorite fly to use while fly fishing is a minnow immitation. I have being tying my own design for the past 15 years for myself and a couple of friends. October and November have been the most productive months for the minnow fly in my experience.

Nice! It's amazing that they'll still strike (or move) with a gut that full.

And to think that some so-called "experts" tried to convince me that trout won't target minnows until they're at least 18 inches.

Those are the types that only fish from a keyboard, me'tinks.

Looks like a fine dinner. Thanks for posting.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. My internets have been tangled for awhile.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum