Thread: Adventure Race, etc. volunteerism sought?

Adventure Race, etc. volunteerism sought?

Again...maybe not the right forum, but, but, but, here I go anyway! As some may know from previous posts that the City of St. George is trying to fill a dormant period in their calendar, and has asked a group of us to help out in the 1st annual Adventure Race Festival. The event takes place Feb 5 and 6 2010. There will be 2 adventure races on sat. the 6th, but music, food and events leading up to and during the event on Feb. 5 night and all day Feb. 6th. There will be all day clinics on sat. to include climbing-rappelling-ziplining-adventure race prep. and training-hiking safety-rescue-canyoneering, etc. I'm in need of someone that might be interested in setting up a booth (area) and doing "canyoneering" related clinics? Here's your chance to give back to the community and even mold the up and coming canyoneers to proper technique and ettiquette! Please help me out!
    Bo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I wish I had the experience and time off to help out. Sorry Bo.

I met this guy and he is super cool. He approached us while we were rock climbing and told us all about it. It sounds like a really neat and inventive type of race that involves a bunch of stuff in a triathalon type setting. If anyone is interested in doing the adventure races. I believe his website is http://milestoneadventure.com/ and you can sign up there. But here is the basic desc from his website.

Generally the various activities that take place consist of but are not limited to the following:

Ropes courses: Rappelling, Tyrolean traverses Climbing, etc.
    Cross Country Mt. Biking: Riding on trails & rough terrain dirt roads.
    Water activities: Kayaking, Swimming, Paddle boarding etc.
    Mystery Challenges: Includes Questions, Clue Interpretation & Skills Tests
    Rogaining: Cross-country navigation using only a map & compass while trying to locate as many checkpoints as possible in a given period of time. These checkpoints can be located in any order & route you choose. The participants map reading skills can be an advantage and help to offset physical ability. (please visithttp://www.rogaining.com/rogaining.html for more information on the sport of ROGAINE)
    Adventure Racing is designed to challenge the individual in managing themselves as a solo or team participant in the outdoor wilderness setting, however, a four person coed team is usually the official participation platform.

I was totally interested in doing it but then the price tag hit me and was beyond my budget. Roughly $100 per person (4 man team) and then you have to be certified in ropes, so whatever that costs... Still I'm sure it's not beyond a lot of other peoples budgets and they have the needed certs so they would be good. I will watch, maybe next one!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    talk to Kurt. may be good for his canyoneering business