Thread: Another Trip Report of Larry Canyon

Another Trip Report of Larry Canyon

This past May, my wife, daugther, her boyfriend, a friend from my work an I adventured to Larry Canyon. Curtis had done Larry Canyon once before and talk me into going. It didn't take much to get everyone else to come along. We all left Salt Lake on a Friday night and set up camp shortly after heading into the Robber's Roost area. Early Saturday morning we headed on down to Larry Canyon and got started. This was the first technical slot canyon that any of us had done except for Curtis. Though, except for my wife we all had varying degrees of rock climbing experience. For me it was limited to the indoor gym and Rockreation so this was really exciting. Actually, it was exciting for everyone.

It all went smooth until my wife got injured on the last rappel. Fortunately, it was the last rappel. We all help her out the rest of the way. I can't wait to do this again.

My wife just create a trip report which is posted on my website. You can see her report with a map and photos at:
    http://tripreportsplus.com/TripReports/report.jsp?id=99

(Unfortunately it was not possible to get gps waypoints in the slot.)

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow!!! It sounds like you had a huge adventure in Larry Canyon at the Roost as well. My father and I two weekends ago had to get life flighted out of that canyon. The story is in here actually under Wayne County Sear and Rescue if you would like to read about it. The posts from myself, TNTrebel and Jaxx are the story. It was a huge adventure! I am glad to hear that you got out of there safely as well. My family and I are going to try and go back next summer to see if we can get through it this time.

Thanks for the Story!!!
    Murphy's Law: "If anything can go wrong, it will."

Quote Originally Posted by Chungy22
    My family and I are going to try and go back next summer to see if we can get through it this time.
    I'll be interested to hear your story the second time round Chungy22.

I just read your dad's story. That's aweful. I thought we may have to use the spot too, but we managed to get her out. If the accident had happend before reaching the last rappel, we wouldn't have been able to get her out ourselves. She's finally fully recovered. It sure changed our activities for the summer; lot's of car trips. We finally got to go to Yosemite and Toroweep this year.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kkemp
    I just read your dad's story. That's aweful. I thought we may have to use the spot too, but we managed to get her out. If the accident had happend before reaching the last rappel, we wouldn't have been able to get her out ourselves. She's finally fully recovered. It sure changed our activities for the summer; lot's of car trips. We finally got to go to Yosemite and Toroweep this year.
    Maybe I just missed it, but what specifically was your wife's injury?

Tom

You didn't miss it, I just left it out. She chipped a bone in her right ankle and left knee. It was the knee that gave her grief at first. She actually walked on the hurt ankle to get out. By the time we got home she needed a wheel chair.

What happened is on the last rappel, soon as you drop over edge it is undercut significanty. You need to go into the center and straddle it. She stayed to one side until gravity got the best of her and she slammed into the other side and broke her ankle then came back and slammed into the first side and chipped her knee.

BTW, she had so much fun, that she even had fun after she got hurt. She wants to do more next year.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    You didn't miss it, I just left it out. She chipped a bone in her right ankle and left knee. It was the knee that gave her grief at first. She actually walked on the hurt ankle to get out. By the time we got home she needed a wheel chair.

What happened is on the last rappel, soon as you drop over edge it is undercut significanty. You need to go into the center and straddle it. She stayed to one side until gravity got the best of her and she slammed into the other side and broke her ankle then came back and slammed into the first side and chipped her knee.
    Ouch!! Yeah, that last rap is kinda tricky.

T

Wow, your wife sounds like a real trooper!
    Cool that she didn't let an unfortunate injury hamper her ability to get back up that horse so to speak! Hope you guys have a kick-*ss adventerous next year full of fun, and devoid of injury!

Hope she's recovering well too!

You didn't miss it, I just left it out. She chipped a bone in her right ankle and left knee. gravity got the best of her and she slammed into the other side and broke her ankle then came back and slammed into the first side and chipped her knee.

BTW, she had so much fun, that she even had fun after she got hurt. She wants to do more next year.
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Wow, tough wife! Thanks for the TR and photo link. I love that canyon and re-live it every time I read about it or see a photo. Thanks again!
    Life is Good

Yeah that sounds pretty intense! On our trip we had to do that last rappel in the dark and that was quite an adventure. We all made it down safely though and luckily got out. We are going to have a ton of fun doing that one again hopefully this next summer. Thanks for the story! I hope you goes don't have any injuries on the next trip!
    Murphy's Law: "If anything can go wrong, it will."