Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like there is going to be new leadership at the ACA.

Looks like there is going to be new leadership at the ACA.

I copied this over because I think alot of you can no longer view posts on the aca site.

rcwild
    Instructor Dude Join Date: Mar 2004

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bashfulbob
    Rich:

I started this thread because I decided to leave the ACA. The purpose was to determine if I should just walk away and let it die or if I should invest some time preparing documentation to make it easier for someone else to take over.

I gave notice to the other members of the board that I intend to leave before April 2010. After giving notice a couple things happened that could complicate my departure. The board will meet on January 20th to consider options and make some decisions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bogley BigShot

I vote: TJ
    Bryan in Las Vegas

This is not the first time Mr. Carlson has quit.... this has happened at least twice before that I know of.... I'll believe it when they are changing the nameplates on the office doors and repainting the executive parking spots at the ACA office complex....

But I will get out the big bag of popcorn and watch the show if anyone wants to join me.... ....Things normally get very entertaining from a spectator standpoint every time Rich resigns....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    This is not the first time Mr. Carlson has quit.... this has happened at least twice before that I know of.... I'll believe it when they are changing the nameplates on the office doors and repainting the executive parking spots at the ACA office complex....

But I will get out the big bag of popcorn and watch the show if anyone wants to join me.... ....Things normally get very entertaining from a spectator standpoint every time Rich resigns....

According to the ACA site it has now been put on hold.

I tried to find that post on their site and even browse a few posts to see whats going on. Man, it looks like they put up a locked bank vault door on the front of their website. Makes it hard to see anything unless you are a member...doesn't help business IMHO.

Serious inquiry here...

So from what I gather, the ACA is an organization that registers the canyons? How big is this organization, and does it actually have an office, or is it kind of an online club? Does the ACA take note of every bolt placed in canyons, and possibly the condition thereof? And is it a group decision to replace those bolts?

Understand, these questions are coming from a Mtn biker, there's probably some sort of organization like this but they are never consulted by anybody I know. Probably because Mtn biking is more of a casual sport.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    I tried to find that post on their site and even browse a few posts to see whats going on. Man, it looks like they put up a locked bank vault door on the front of their website. Makes it hard to see anything unless you are a member...doesn't help business IMHO.
    For a small donation of $50 you can browse until your heart is content.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    That didn't take long.....

Now I just have to say it..... I told ya so....

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Serious inquiry here...

So from what I gather, the ACA is an organization that registers the canyons? How big is this organization, and does it actually have an office, or is it kind of an online club? Does the ACA take note of every bolt placed in canyons, and possibly the condition thereof? And is it a group decision to replace those bolts?

Understand, these questions are coming from a Mtn biker, there's probably some sort of organization like this but they are never consulted by anybody I know. Probably because Mtn biking is more of a casual sport.

Thanks.
    It's a training organization. Original intent is to make safe canyoneers. They offer initial entry canyoneer training, more advanced and canyon leader courses, wilderness first aid and I'm pretty sure a swift water and high angle rescue course.
    There is a canyon databate but not nearly as accurate as your imagining it is. And of course the database is pretty much the same stuff that's already published elsewhere. An unpublished canyon is unpublished there too.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    That didn't take long.....

Now I just have to say it..... I told ya so....

I new you would be coming back soon.

Registering canyons has never been one of the ACA objectives (that I'm aware of).

IMHO.... One of the problems with the ACA is that what they support and what they represent has always been a moving target.... over the years they have attempted at one time or other to be all things canyons to all people.....

With that being said.... teaching canyoneering skills and safety has always been one of the ACA cornerstones....

Historically the ACA has been the place many noobs go to get some skills before moving on to bigger and better things in the canyoneering world.

The ACA office is Rich sitting in front of a computer screen in his living room..... wearing only a bathrobe.... about like the Bogley office complex....

The size depends on how you measure.... if judging by paying members it's a few hundred, but when waving the ACA banner Rich likes to use the number of registered forum members, which similar to many forums, is in the thousands.

"Club" describes the ACA pretty well... others (including Rich) have referred to it as a canyoneering dictatorship.... whatever that is...

The ACA has always aspired to become the NCAA of the canyoneering world... but for various reasons has never gained the traction to move beyond the school/club level.

wearing only a bathrobe.... about like the Bogley office complex....
    Well, as soon as we get a little more professional around here, I'll put something on.

wearing only a bathrobe.... about like the Bogley office complex....
    Well, as soon as we get a little more professional around here, I'll put something on.
    Im sorry but that was funny.

On a serious side. I have only met Rich once. He taught an anchors class that I took. He did an excellent job. I think the ACA is where Rich generates his income. So ya we can joke about it but for him, especially in these economic times, these are serious decisions. So I wish him well in which ever direction he goes. Alot of people have butted heads with him on this and the ACA site but from what I have seen over the years when it comes to technical questions he's got his **** together.

Mark

Looks like there is going to be new leadership at the ACA.
    isn't that an oxy-moron?

i think the ACA could be a could organization. i just haven't seen any reason for myself to join. i don't think anyone would argue some new blood might recharge the thing. or completely bleed it off.

i'm not sure rich makes much with the ACA stuff. probably one of the reasons it may be wise for him to find some other means? pure speculation on my part.

Lots of interesting speculation going on here. I would be happy to provide facts, but Shane's BS is always much more entertaining than the truth, so I'll just sit back and enjoy this thread from the sidelines.

Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

Quote Originally Posted by rcwild
    Lots of interesting speculation going on here. I would be happy to provide facts, but Shane's BS is always much more entertaining than the truth, so I'll just sit back and enjoy this thread from the sidelines.
    Rich! Speak o' the devil. And, who said there was no talent on Bogley?

Yeah, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!

Hope all is well.

-Brian in SLC

ah, never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rcwild
    Interesting how all the talent keeps an eye on Bogley.

Oh wise one.... please feel free to correct me where I'm wrong..... don't worry about hurting my feelings.... I'm married, I'm used to being corrected.