Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wedge Salad

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar

Wedge Salad

First, I've never seen nor had a Wedge Salad until a few weeks ago. I grew up and lived most of my life abroad (courtesy, US Army).

I attended a technical seminar a few weeks ago at Flemings Steak House (@ the Gateway) and they served up this salad). I decided to Google the recipe, found one that was similar and posted it on my blog site (that was intended for my friends & family).

Tonight, I received this email. I was quite perturbed. Can you (c) an American salad that is presumably widely known & made?

--
    Hi James,

Please remove the photos and recipe of my wedge salad recipe from your website. If you like something, you're more than welcome to link to it. However, republishing my photos and recipe, including directions, on your blog is a violation of my copyright. I spend a lot of time cooking, photographing, and writing the recipes for my blog. While I enjoy sharing my recipes, having others republishing them without my permission is upsetting and illegal.

http://utahbruteforce.com/bruteforce...-dressing.html

----

While I immediately removed my blog post of this recipe, it really irritated me that this person went on the Twitter-sphere and started bitching about how rude I was and how little I knew about copyrights.

WTF has this country come to when you can't quote a persons fricking salad recipe?
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wait a minute... your name is James?

James

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    Wait a minute... your name is James?

James
    I think it might be a pseudonym. I hear he goes by James - uh, what was it? Wadsmouth? Wordsworth? Something like that...

Actually, I need to bring a salad to my brothers place tonight. Could you post it here?

Re: Wedge Salad

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce
    First, I've never seen nor had a Wedge Salad until a few weeks ago. I grew up and lived most of my life abroad (courtesy, US Army).

I attended a technical seminar a few weeks ago at Flemings Steak House (@ the Gateway) and they served up this salad). I decided to Google the recipe, found one that was similar and posted it on my blog site (that was intended for my friends & family).

Tonight, I received this email. I was quite perturbed. Can you (c) an American salad that is presumably widely known & made?

--
    Hi James,

Please remove the photos and recipe of my wedge salad recipe from your website. If you like something, you're more than welcome to link to it. However, republishing my photos and recipe, including directions, on your blog is a violation of my copyright. I spend a lot of time cooking, photographing, and writing the recipes for my blog. While I enjoy sharing my recipes, having others republishing them without my permission is upsetting and illegal.

http://utahbruteforce.com/bruteforce...-dressing.html

----

While I immediately removed my blog post of this recipe, it really irritated me that this person went on the Twitter-sphere and started bitching about how rude I was and how little I knew about copyrights.

WTF has this country come to when you can't quote a persons fricking salad recipe?

if someone copyrights his page, you cannot go copying and pasting to your blog. seems pretty straightforward to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Actually, I need to bring a salad to my brothers place tonight. Could you post it here?

I hereby copyright all of my posts. Anybody who quotes me will be sued.

how about tweets? Are they copyrightable as well?

4:27 PM Dec 12th from web in reply to LadyDucayne http://utahbruteforce.com stole my photos & recipe & republishes it on his blog. Emailed him to request removal, he calls me an ass. Jerk!

So is a tweet always the result of a wedgie?

This post is worthless with a picture and description of said salad.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Hey, sidetrack here (or as Dan would say, "classic bogley/Beech move")

I just went to Brute's site and I have to link this picture

(or am I stealing it? )

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Hey, sidetrack here (or as Dan would say, "classic bogley/Beech move")
    I think whats referred to as "classic bogley/Beech move" is your lack of perspective.
    What if someone was stealing your youtube videos removing the water mark and posting them on their website without crediting you? How would you feel in someone started copying the posts off the front page of bogley and loading them on to a website full of google adds?

I just went to Brute's site and I have to link this picture
    (or am I stealing it? )
    That really depends on Brute.. I mean you did give him credit and that's all most people want.

Just to clear the air here (is that even possible), I did not remove watermarks or anything. I referenced the site, but forgot to put a LINK BACK to it.

I admit I over reacted after receiving the email and have since apologized to the person that put together the photos, etc.

As for content on my site, I don't claim (c) to any of it. It's freely accessible to anybody that wants to use it.

Thanks for sharing my Sub-for-Santa photo, Beech.

Question on the picture:

Seems like I've seen that picture on the FAIL blog or the YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG blog.

;-)
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    How would you feel in someone started copying the posts off the front page of bogley and loading them on to a website full of google adds?
    This actually happens all the time. We're honestly fine with it. I'm an open source kinda guy. It's not harming Bogley's reputation in any way. And when somebody wants more information on those copied posts, it will lead them to bogley one way or another.

Now, it's percieved that I don't believe in copyrighting something, which is false. I just don't believe in "lazy" copyrighting. If you put something on the internet and don't want it copied or linked, I've got some bad news.

The good news is, you can ALWAYS turn this into a good thing for your credit by watermarking the image. Then you will GLADLY let others copy your images and do the marketing for you.

And if you finally decide that you want to have them on your site but disable linking the images, there are multiple ways to do that too. Flash image slideshows, disabling right click on the page, watermarking.... A good technique is to post thumbnails, and require registration to view the full image. There are a lot of options to discourage copyright infringement. The honest truth is, if you're lazy about it, you will never be able to stop it. It doesn't mean they're right, but it will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    Question on the picture:

Seems like I've seen that picture on the FAIL blog or the YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG blog.

;-)
    As long as you haven't seen it on Sketchy Santas: http://www.sketchysantas.com/

http://www.sketchysantas.com/

Thanks for sharing my Sub-for-Santa photo, Beech.
    There's something about crying kids and Santa, but the dog... that was over the top for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhaha
    Question on the picture:

;-)
    You ever try to be "Santa" and get three kids and dog tossed on your lap? My ratio wasn't too bad. Out of the 50+ kids that cycled through, only 3 or 4 were crying.

This actually happens all the time. We're honestly fine with it. I'm an open source kinda guy. It's not harming Bogley's reputation in any way. And when somebody wants more information on those copied posts, it will lead them to bogley one way or another.
    Wait...
    I was talking about not getting any credit at all for your work, not something that eventually leads back to you.
    Also I am unaware of anything open source that does not give credit where credit is due

and on that note you guys should check this new browser I created -
    I call it.. FireFox.
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html

Wait...
    I was talking about not getting any credit at all for your work, not something that eventually leads back to you.
    But the point of this thread was that Brute linked to the owner's site.

Besides, if somebody links to one of my pictures and doesn't provide any link back, I can try to waste hours of my time trying to stop that one instance, tweet about it, complain a little on facebook, and maybe it will get taken down. But what about the 10 sites I don't come across?

I might as well use my time more wisely. ...starting with that list I mentioned before on lazy copyrighting.

Now with you, Summit, you take some amazing photos. You put a lot of work into what you do. You would actually care a lot more than me if one of your photos was posted elsewhere without credit. I completely understand that.

But the salad photo, I didn't see it, but I imagine it was just a point and shoot camera taking a picture of what they made.... getting the recipe from somebody else as well. The owner most likely didn't realize this was doing some marketing for them because it reached a more broad audience than what she was currently reaching. This being said, I haven't been to that site, and have no idea what it's about.

And if she didn't want a broad audience, that it was only intended for family and friends, she should have set it private.

Wait...
    But the point of this thread was that Brute linked to the owner's site.
    I referenced the site, but forgot to put a LINK BACK to it.
    You know, I think it would have been better if BruteForce had simply posted a link:

Hey everybody, I found a great salad, you can get the recipe here:

http://wanderingchopsticks.blogspot....-bleublue.html