Thread: What Ski Length?

What Ski Length?

I'd like to get cross-country skis for myself. I haven't done any skiing for years and have never done cross. I snowshoe a bunch and would like to mix up my winter routine with the x-ski's. I'm 6'8" and weigh about 215lbs. What size ski's should I buy? I'll probably go used from KSL or somewhere. What are some things I should look for, stay away from, etc.?
    Thanks!
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Go to REI and look at their catalog book thing that is by their nordic skis (or ask someone to show you), it has lenght/weight recommendations. Take the guess work out of it, then look for used ones. I just went there and bought some new backcountry nordic skis... a little shorter, a little wider and a little more shaped then my current ones, and with metal edges...
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and recommend the longest size they make.

It's a bit of a science all to itself though. You essentially need them long enough to provide stability and with just enough flex that the center of the ski is on the snow when it's bearing most of your weight and off the snow when it's not.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...