Thread: Pleiades Conditions

Blog Entries
    I did pleaides back in March of this year, and that was THE hardest class-C waterfall I've done....soo much water.

So, with that being said, when is the best time to go - when its not a trickle (not too fun IMO) in September/October & when you don't turn into a human icicle like we did in late March. ? So, basically, lots of water, but not 5,000,000 CFS. Would May or June be optimal for that?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I split this out of the Best Pictures Thread because I wanted to use my massive moderating powers.... And to try and keep things cleaned up a little...

The picture below was taken Memorial Weekend.... it's flowing full throttle at that time of year. Also.... the canyon was packed with snow two weeks earlier and we still had substantial ice in the canyon over Memorial Day.

By the end of August the canyon slows to a trickle, perhaps as much water as a fire hose. The canyon always has flow as it is spring feed. About the end of September the canyon is coated in ice......

That's about the best I have it figured out.

Pleiades in August looks about like a garden hose..... In August a $10 Wal-Mart rain suit actually works really well in keeping you dry.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    whoops, didn't intend to hijack, but this works I guess.
    Hmm, thanks for the advice!

I'm making my 2010 Outdoor Calendar right now, and I'm just trying to figure everything in. So far on my list I have 22 Canyons, 10 Peaks, and 10 Misc. (including a trip down to Havasu Falls!) and these are all weekend trips, no more weekdays due to work.

So, I plan on hitting the rest of my Moab technical canyons checklist this year - and to those who have done Pleiades in late August when the water is just a trickle, was the trip really worth it? Pleaides is cool and all, but its short! and the drive up there takes awhile, etc. I mean, sure its rappelling and all fun, but if you are rappelling down water (where possible), you want lots of it, IMO.

And to sidetrack more (one of my best abilities in life) anyone done any exploring of possible technical canyons near Bride Canyon and another one near Hole in the Rock (the house, not the historic site)? The latter one contains lots of water potholes and narrows, as I was on top looking down into it.

Also anyone hiked or searched for canyons east of Delicate Arch? I was there last year about 3miles east of it (close to "Lost Springs Canyon") and to my discovery, there was no footprints, litter, bolts, webbing, etc. there, and the bottom of the canyon has a few potholes of water (even after a month+ of no-rain) and looks tight in some sections and contains a few possible rappels.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I remember kurt oldno7 did this canyon early June and said he hit it about right for the good flow (not too much not too little).

Still think he used class c rigging. He can chime in and provide detail.

Quote Originally Posted by jman
    whoops, didn't intend to hijack, but this works I guess.
    Hmm, thanks for the advice!

I'm making my 2010 Outdoor Calendar right now, and I'm just trying to figure everything in. So far on my list I have 22 Canyons, 10 Peaks, and 10 Misc. (including a trip down to Havasu Falls!) and these are all weekend trips, no more weekdays due to work.

So, I plan on hitting the rest of my Moab technical canyons checklist this year - and to those who have done Pleiades in late August when the water is just a trickle, was the trip really worth it? Pleaides is cool and all, but its short! and the drive up there takes awhile, etc. I mean, sure its rappelling and all fun, but if you are rappelling down water (where possible), you want lots of it, IMO.

And to sidetrack more (one of my best abilities in life) anyone done any exploring of possible technical canyons near Bride Canyon and another one near Hole in the Rock (the house, not the historic site)? The latter one contains lots of water potholes and narrows, as I was on top looking down into it.

Also anyone hiked or searched for canyons east of Delicate Arch? I was there last year about 3miles east of it (close to "Lost Springs Canyon") and to my discovery, there was no footprints, litter, bolts, webbing, etc. there, and the bottom of the canyon has a few potholes of water (even after a month+ of no-rain) and looks tight in some sections and contains a few possible rappels.
    Which way did you hike to get to lost spring canyon?

The guy in the yellow rain suit in Pleiades looks real familiar. That was actually taken in Sept. Personally I think Pleiades is worth it even in low water. But I have never done it when it is flowing.

Mark

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    I remember kurt oldno7 did this canyon early June and said he hit it about right for the good flow (not too much not too little).

Jman
    Late May Early June seem's to be the best, if you want raging but doable.
    We had a pretty solid group last June and went through in 45 minutes and that included waiting at the 3rd rappel on a group ahead of us that shouldn't have been there.
    They stuck their rope and would not have gotten it without our help. I seriously doubt they had the ability to ascend through the torrent.
    When we started, the air temp was 39deg. The water was probably just above freezing. Man--that is fun in those condition's. It would be worth doing in less flow, but no where near the fun.
    Yes everything was rigged for flow....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7
    Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner

Jman
    Late May Early June seem's to be the best, if you want raging but doable.
    We had a pretty solid group last June and went through in 45 minutes and that included waiting at the 3rd rappel on a group ahead of us that shouldn't have been there.
    They stuck their rope and would not have gotten it without our help. I seriously doubt they had the ability to ascend through the torrent.
    When we started, the air temp was 39deg. The water was probably just above freezing. Man--that is fun in those condition's. It would be worth doing in less flow, but no where near the fun.
    Yes everything was rigged for flow....
    nice, good advice! It's good to know someone can relate when the water is raging! haha. truly you are right when its no where near as fun.
    Sounds like early June is optimal! thanks for the input!

moab_mark,
    It is lcoated east of Delicate Arch. So you COULD, park at the delicate arch parking lot. But, I found out a few months ago, that there is actually a dirt road back there (it's how they put in the oil pipeline). And if that's the case, then a shuttle system would be easiest if there are douable and worthwhile canyons in the area.

here's a pic of Lost Springs Canyon, but the canyon I want to look into is the one, north-east of it. It's narrows are tighter, and it's a longer canyon. It reminded me of Dragonfly from the top.

Although, I wonder what Lost Springs Canyon belly looks like. I walked around the edge and saw a few water potholes, but...the bottom was a little wide, but I dunno, never been down there and googling doesn't provide much answers besides people just hiking the salt wash area. Google Earth doesn't make it look toooo interesting, like slot-canyon wise, but when you hike around it, it's a different story. At the very least, it would probably be as Shane rates it either a "hardcore" or "weekend-warrior" if it's not so technical, but there were a few dryfalls I saw though in both canyons I checked out.

I think if there was any routes to be found in the Salt Wash, it would be in this area. The only part that REALLY sucks, is the hike out of Salt Wash. It is muddy, overgrown with tamarisk, and lots of quicksand areas. Not a pleasant 3+mile walk-out. But then again, you would have lots of water around you to drink via purifier. I dunno, but I'll check it out next year for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images