Thread: Uintas / Lake Fork ?

Uintas / Lake Fork ?

Anyone here have experience accessing the Upper Lake Fork from the north side?

Specifically, starting up the Middle Fork of the Blacks Fork, and taking the Little East Fork up over Squaw Pass, looping west around Upper Lake Fork, and back over the top via Red Knob Pass and back down the East Fork of the Blacks Fork?

Any suggestions on good camping area in the upper Lake Fork or accessing Crater Lake?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I haven't been there for several years now, so this is from memory. Much of upper Lake Fork is above timberline, so if you have a good tent the campsite possibilities are endless. If not, then you must be much more selective.

Lambert Lake is a good place to camp. Crater Lake is above timberline and is one of the neatest lakes in the Uinta Mountains. Very spectacular. You need a good tent to camp there though since there isn't much cover.

Have a good trip.

I have done that trip, but in reverse. The trail up Little East Blacks fork is very good and that basin is full of campsites - the lakes on the bench have decent fishing as well. The Lake fork drainage - coming from Squaw pass - there is great camping just south of the trail as it enters the timberline - there are some old cabins in the area. There are a lot of sheep in this area as well, but we didn't see them, we just heard them. Lambert lake has great fishing - there is a good camping spot above the Lake on the Northwest side where a spring comes out of the rocks and goes into the lake. I was in that area in the first week of August, but didn't see anybody except a pack train of goats.

Going toward Red Knob - the trail kind of peters in and out as you get near the treeline. That is also where I would set out for Crater Lake - as you will be above the creek and then its a pretty straight cross country hike. Once the trail is picked up again above treeline, the pass up to Red Knob is in excellent condition.

There are some good campsites back over in the East Fork Blacks Fork as you come off the pass to the North of the trail in the trees. There are springs that have been dug out by sheep herders, but the water has a different taste to it. The upper basin of East Fork Blacks Fork is very nice if there are no sheep. The trail is very boggy in spots and expect some river crossings without logs - (I remember one crossing needing to wade.)This trail gets very little use, so winds around a lot of deadfall and such, but isn't much of a problem.

I did this hike in the height of the summer season and only saw 3 other backpackers, 2 sheep herders, and a goat train. All the people were in the Lake Fork and Upper Oweep areas, and I didn't see anybody in the Blacks Fork areas.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Thanks a lot guys!

I knew the Bogley folk would deliver.