Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayne County Search and Rescue

I got a text at 4:30 this morning saying that they are spending the night in Green River. So they must have all got out ok.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

What a relief!

Looking forward to reading the story. Hope Jaxx's dad is feeling better and recovers quickly.

Awesome. Can't wait to hear more about it. Thanks Canyongirl.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyongirl
    I got a text at 4:30 this morning saying that they are spending the night in Green River. So they must have all got out ok.
    Thank's for the update

Woohoo! Great news!

This is old but I thought some might like reading it....

Rescuers trying to reach lost hiker in Wayne County

Desert News
    Sunday, Dec. 6, 2009 5:10 p.m. MST

HANKSVILLE, Wayne County

Whew! Good news - thanks for the inside story on this.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Yeah! Glad to hear they are okay. Waiting for Jaxx's story.
    Chere'

Dang. I hope all turns out well.

I wonder if it would be helpful to have a few guys on standby, or known to the various groups, for such events. I know a few of us Mapleton boys would have gone in a heartbeat and we have night canyon experience and a fair amount of rescue training and a bunch of rope. Not too sure if we or others could have helped get the dad out any sooner but we certainly could have packed a bunch of gear in to make the stay more comfortable.

Just a thought.
    Life is Good

A little FYI that might be helpful to know at a future date.

The Canyonland's Maze Ranger station is located only a couple of miles from Larry Canyon. The National Park rangers will respond to SAR in the area and they are much better equiped and trained to handle this type of rescue. They also have the abilities of bring the resources of the federal government into play. The Canyonland rangers are familiar and have access to all the route descriptions on Climb-Utah.com, which has proven beneficial in the past (the NP rangers know where to look).

I have no clue how Spot works... or who has actual control over this type of rescue.... I just know if the rescue alert goes out to the Maze NP rangers they will respond.

I do know that Wayne County SAR is good at finding lost hikers and hunters. I also know they are completely out of their element when it comes to technical canyon rescues. If you call Wayne County they will come running to help, but they will all be mounted on the back of ATV's and in Jeeps. It's just the nature of the beast....

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    I keep hoping that I'll come on Bogley and see that the most recent post was from Jaxx. I sure hope they are now safe.

Tom- I think you are awesome for your willingness to go out last night. I sure think you are great!
    Thanks, but after a long day, it proved unrealistic. I, like us all, worry. 12" of snow here right now.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    A little FYI that might be helpful to know at a future date.

The Canyonland's Maze Ranger station is located only a couple of miles from Larry Canyon. The National Park rangers will respond to SAR in the area and they are much better equiped and trained to handle this type of rescue. They also have the abilities of bring the resources of the federal government into play. The Canyonland rangers are familiar and have access to all the route descriptions on Climb-Utah.com, which has proven beneficial in the past (the NP rangers know where to look).
    Who ya gonna call?

Good point Ice - it MATTERS, a lot!

The county is loathe to call in the feds, even if they think of it, which they won't. The feds have to clear their participation with the county sherrif, but the county rarely turns down the help once offered, especially in a far corner of their territory. Grand County SAR and the Canyonlands/Arches SAR are really good, play well together, and know what the word 'technical' means. CALL THE FEDS on the slimmest of excuses.

Tom

Good to hear that everyone is OK! Looking forward to more - I hope they remembered to take lots of photos!!!

Interesting stuff, Shane. The SPOT call centre basically has a database of the SAR organization responsible for every region. They look at where the 911 came from, and call the appropriate agency. From there, it's in that agency's hands.

It might just be in canyoneers' best interest to convince Wayne County SAR to make the call to bring in the NPS's big guns when something involving ropes comes up. Perhaps some discussion with the people in charge, looking at their policies on this kind of rescue, is in order.

SPOT routes the call to the nearest COUNTY S&R. I don't think there is a way to route the call to Federal S&R. Another way would be is to set the SPOT message to tell your relatives/friends to call Fed S&R manually.

Regardless, I am very happy to see another happy end SPOT rescue. I carry that thing with me everywhere.

Scary stuff. Glad you heard from them and I'll be interested to hear from Jaxx.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Another way would be is to set the SPOT message to tell your relatives/friends to call Fed S&R manually.
    That sounds like a good option if you have little faith in a certain agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Good to hear that everyone is OK! Looking forward to more - I hope they remembered to take lots of photos!!!

Interesting stuff, Shane. The SPOT call centre basically has a database of the SAR organization responsible for every region. They look at where the 911 came from, and call the appropriate agency. From there, it's in that agency's hands.

It might just be in canyoneers' best interest to convince Wayne County SAR to make the call to bring in the NPS's big guns when something involving ropes comes up. Perhaps some discussion with the people in charge, looking at their policies on this kind of rescue, is in order.

It is a "limited information problem". If your tool is good at looking for lost hikers, every call-out looks like a lost hiker. By the time they figured out it was a technical rescue, it was WAY too late.

Maybe it is time to build our own SAR system. The Hanksville area is especially poor in SAR resources, largely because no one lives out there, including none of us. We are all 5-6 hours away. Makes it more difficult.

thoughts??

Tom

It might just be in canyoneers' best interest to convince Wayne County SAR to make the call to bring in the NPS's big guns when something involving ropes comes up.
    Wayne County is not really interested in advise.... or at least that's my understanding.....

I have good relations with most of the SAR teams in Utah, Wayne County is not one of them (not saying I have bad relations). Wayne County is a little quirky, upper management has it's own ideas.... my relations through Wayne County consist of a couple lower level individuals, upper management has never had an interest in hearing or talking with canyoneers..... YMMV....

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia

It is a "limited information problem". If your tool is good at looking for lost hikers, every call-out looks like a lost hiker. By the time they figured out it was a technical rescue, it was WAY too late.

Maybe it is time to build our own SAR system. The Hanksville area is especially poor in SAR resources, largely because no one lives out there, including none of us. We are all 5-6 hours away. Makes it more difficult.

thoughts??

Tom
    3-3.5 hours from Mapleton!!!
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    my relations through Wayne County consist of a couple lower level individuals, upper management has never had an interest in hearing or talking with canyoneers..... YMMV....
    if this stuff keeps happening, something tells me they will soon want to talk with canyoneers. what's this, 3 or 4 in the last year now?