Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayne County Search and Rescue

Wayne County Search and Rescue

Saturday at four o clock pm my husband Jaxx recieved a call from our SPOT satelite beacon. The man on the phone says they've been recieveing 911 messages from our SPOT. My husband informs them that his dad and brother have our SPOT and are doing Larry canyon in the roost area. SPOT says they'll contact SAR right away. Jaxx is of course in a panick and he and his bro in law Chabidiah pack up there gear and head out to the roost about a 3 to 4 hour drive. Just after 8 o clock they call Wayne county SAR to get an update and are told they just headed out at 8 o clock. Feeling frustrated they continue on to the roost. They arrive about 10 o clock pm and contact SAR again to get an update. SAR informs them that they decided it was too late and they won't look for them until morning. Jaxx and Chabidiah set out along the rim of Larrys canyon yelling down into it and at about 1 o clock in the morning find them deep in the canyon. Jaxx's dad has a torn ACL and is in very bad pain. But they have built a fire and are warm and have plenty of food and water. The next morning Jaxx and chabidiah wait for SAR who doesn't show up until 10 am. They lead SAR to where they are stuck in the canyon and SAR rapels into the canyon and decides to hoist him out using a helicopter. The helicopter doesn't arrive until 5:00 pm. It lifts Jaxx's dad out but says it is now getting to dark to get Jaxx's bro or the SAR out and the helicopter leaves. none of SAR have head lamps. Jaxx's brother is pretty inexperienced also only having done 2 or 3 canyons always with his dad. So Jaxx and Chabidiah choose to go at 7:00 pm to the end of the canyon and hike up to meet the group and help them down the canyon. That is the last I have heard and am freaking out at home wondering if their okay. I am so mad and scared that something will now happen to them.

Edited due to incorrect info relayed to me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Holy shit! What a story! Keep us up to date.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Those 2 guys are smart and competent. I'm sure they will excercise caution and do what is right. It's scary not knowing, but I would put your confidence in them.
    Please keep us posted......

Wow, that's pretty messed up - were they really sending inexperienced folks in there? It will be interesting to get the full story later.

I'm sure they'll all be fine, but keep us informed. In the meantime, try & get some sleep...

I look forward to hearing Jaxx and Chabidiah tell their tale!

wow. first and foremost, i hope everyone returns safe and sound.

secondly, it is wayne county. the population is something like 2500, TOTAL. of those, maybe a handful volunteer on SAR, and they are probably from multiple towns. tt would be tough to expect any of those to be properly trained in technical rescues. they are all volunteers, and no doubt, had to drive a long way to get to larry canyon (since larry is about as remote as it gets for wayne county.)

i'm confident it will all work out. in the meantime, jaxx is a good one to have out there, it may be uncomfortable but they'll get 'er done.

Well really you can't blame them. Next time anyone wants to have an accident, they should have it during ideal working hours. I mean who wants to go do a rescue in the cold or get paid overtime?

Seriously though, OMG! I'm absolutely sure they will be fine though and have a great story to talk about. Jaxx is one of the more levelheaded canyoneers I've been with, and his experience is off the charts. Still my positive thoughts going your guy's way this evening. Mostly for you so you don't worry too much, I'm sure this is nerve wracking. If anyone gets cold, Jaxx will be sure to deploy his bottle of liquid sunshine depicted in this picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Hang in there Canyongirl my prayers are with you and Jaxx and the rest. I enjoyed meeting Jaxx in August at Bogley fest. Let us know as soon as you hear they are safe.
    Chere'

secondly, it is wayne county. the population is something like 2500, TOTAL. of those, maybe a handful volunteer on SAR, and they are probably from multiple towns. tt would be tough to expect any of those to be properly trained in technical rescues. they are all volunteers, and no doubt, had to drive a long way to get to larry canyon (since larry is about as remote as it gets for wayne county.)
    I agree. In Wayne County, SAR is more used for things like rescuing hunters and ATV drivers, which don't require things like rope skills nor are they usually that far from roads. It is unlikely that many are trained in technical canyon or technical rock rescue. This is true for many rural county SAR's including the local ones around here. They don't perform many rescues of this type and should be given a break.

I hope everyone there is safe and makes it out OK and with no further injury. I wish everyone involved the best of luck.

good luck fellas. Looking forward to hearing all about it when you're safe at home.

Re: Wayne County Search and Rescue; don't waste your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyongirl
    Then SAR yells up to Jaxx and Chabidiah that they are not prepared to hike a technical canyon, none of them have head lamps, and most of them have never rapelled before today and didn't know what they were doing!
    UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Oh my gosh! I love Jaxx and I sincerely hope and will pray that all is well for you and yours. Good luck. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

Not being sarcastic here, but what took so long to get the helicopter the next morning? Did they have to rent it out somewhere?

I wonder if they all knew they couldn't do any technical hiking, and were hoping that the people in the canyon would just find a way out.

canyongirl, do you think more assistance is helpful? there are some people who are likely available and valuable enough to be of significant help. feel free to contact me via PM if you think it would help.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Wayne County Search and Rescue; don't waste your time.

Saturday at four o clock pm my husband Jaxx recieved a call from our SPOT satelite beacon. The man on the phone says they've been recieveing 911 messages from our SPOT. My husband informs them that his dad and brother have our SPOT and are doing Larry canyon in the roost area. SPOT says they'll contact SAR right away. Jaxx is of course in a panick and he and his bro in law Chabidiah pack up there gear and head out to the roost about a 3 to 4 hour drive. Just after 8 o clock they call Wayne county SAR to get an update and are told they just headed out at 8 o clock. Feeling frustrated they continue on to the roost. They arrive about 10 o clock pm and contact SAR again to get an update. SAR informs them that they decided it was too late and they won't look for them until morning. Frustrated Jaxx and Chabidiah set out along the rim of Larrys canyon yelling down into it and at about 1 o clock in the morning find them deep in the canyon. Jaxx's dad has a torn ACL and is in very bad pain. But they have built a fire and are warm and have plenty of food and water. The next morning Jaxx and chabidiah wait for SAR who doesn't show up until close until noon. They lead SAR to where they are stuck in the canyon and SAR rapels into the canyon and decides to hoist him out using a helicopter. The helicopter doesn't arrive until 5:00 pm. It lifts Jaxx dad out but says it is now getting to dark to get Jaxx's bro or the SAR out and the helicopter leaves. Then SAR yells up to Jaxx and Chabidiah that they are not prepared to hike a technical canyon, none of them have head lamps, and most of them have never rapelled before today and didn't know what they were doing! Jaxx's brother is pretty inexperienced also only having done 2 or 3 canyons always with his dad. So Jaxx and Chabidiah choose to go at 7:00 pm to the end of the canyon and hike up. Apparently they will have to climb up two rapells to meet the group and help them down the canyon. That is the last I have heard and am freaking out at home wondering if their okay and not too happy about the choice they made to climb up the rapels in the dark. I can't believe they are having to rescue SAR. I am so mad and scared that something will now happen to them. Useless Wayne county SAR.
    Canyon Girl, if you are still awake, give me a call (before 1:00 AM).

Tom Jones 435-648-3089 I'm thinking of heading out there - looking for a few more details.

The upclimb is not AT the last two raps, it is off to the side. Not too hard, but would be difficult to find a reasonable line in the dark.

Tom

just talked to jaxx and him and chabidiah couldn't find the group of jaxx's bro and 6 SAR so they came back out of the canyon. he said they finally got a helicopter from page AZ who will come and try to find these guys and get them out before the big storm hits. the helicopters eta is 3 min so hopefully this group can all be rescued quickly. thanks for everyones concern.

just talked to jaxx and him and chabidiah couldn't find the group of jaxx's bro and 6 SAR so they came back out of the canyon. he said they finally got a helicopter from page AZ who will come and try to find these guys and get them out before the big storm hits. the helicopters eta is 3 min so hopefully this group can all be rescued quickly. thanks for everyones concern.
    That's great news I think. That storm had a few of us worried. Hoping for the best!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Excellent. Please keep us posted.

Tom

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Anyword yet?
    Chere'

I keep hoping that I'll come on Bogley and see that the most recent post was from Jaxx. I sure hope they are now safe.

Tom- I think you are awesome for your willingness to go out last night. I sure think you are great!

Sounds like it may be good news. Hopefully they are out now and will be home safely.