Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009-10 Bowl Games

2009-10 Bowl Games

It looks like the Utes are headed to San Diego to play Cal. Trying to talk my wife into making the trip with me.

BYU is headed to Vegas for the 5th straight year to play Oregon State. Let me tell you this. If Oregon State plays like they did against Oregon the other night, then BYU is going to get waxed. Those Rodgers brothers will light them up and I have to say that I'll be rooting for OSU after all this Max Hall BS.

TCU vs. Boise State will be another great game. I want to say that TCU will light them up this year beacuse their offense is so much better. Yet, I certainly wouldn't want to pick against the Broncos.

Which bowls are you looking forward to.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would have liked to have seen TCU and Boise State play more established programs (to really test them and see how good they really are. I think TCU could match up pretty well against some good teams this year).

I think that the BCS put TCU and Boise State together and put Cincinnati against Florida to make sure that there would only be 2 undefeated teams at the end of the season.

Being a Big Ten fan, I am a little nervous. I think we (the Big Ten) has too many teams going to Bowl Games and if things go just wrong, we could actually lose every one of them. I of course hope that doesn't happen.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Would have loved seeing TCU take it to Flordia. Agree with one columnists opinion that it would have been cool to watch a "mid major" chase and hurase Tebo all day. Also have BSU destroy Cinci, just think Big East is over-rated. I think it's stupid that TCU is playing Boise State. It's a rematch. As one columnist wrote: "David vs. David is just not that compelling, especially on the big stage." Glad neither is playing an Orange Bowl bound team.

Soon as I saw the match ups I turned to the hot young stripper wife and said.... "I wondered how the BCS was going to handle this so they didn't look bad".

I honestly think TCU might be the best team in the county... they have just destroyed everyone they played and they have played some very good teams, so its impossible to know how good they really are.....

With these match ups the BCS schools are guaranteed not to look bad or over hyped.... it also guarantees the non BCS schools do no better than 50%.

Yeah, sucks. Non auto-qualifiers are 3-1 in the BCS and could have been 5-1 with 3 undefeated teams = debacle. Why would they match each other up after they played last year and I believe this will actually be their 3rd bowl game together. Lame....

The best match ups would have been....

TCU - Florida
    Boise State - Cincinnati

Utah got #3 last year, so why isn't TCU getting #3. What a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Utah got #3 last year, so why isn't TCU getting #3.
    Because Utah made #3 look bad.... can't have that happen again.... with the current match ups no matter what happens the BCS teams look good.

Texas isn't even the best team in their own state.... TCU should be playing Bama for #1.

Well, BYU dominated and did their job. Now it is time for the Utes to pony up and beat another PAC 10 school. Right now the MWC is standing at 2-0 in the bowls.
    Life is Good

BYU looked really good last night pounding the beavers.

Yep, what an ugly game for the Beavers. I didn't expect that. BYU played nearly flawless. Wait, the beavers never showed up. Nah. It was kind of a boring game with all the weather related probs for the Beavers. It would have been funner to see a high scoring close game. Oh well.

It was cool to see Wyoming win and yep 2-0. Hope the Utes can keep it going another year. Cougar fans must be proud. BYU was the only MWC team to lose their bowl game last year. I wonder if any classless Beaver fans spilled beer on Max's family. You knew that was coming.

Yep, what an ugly game for the Beavers. I didn't expect that. BYU played nearly flawless. Wait, the beavers never showed up. Nah. It was kind of a boring game with all the weather related probs for the Beavers. It would have been funner to see a high scoring close game. Oh well.

It was cool to see Wyoming win and yep 2-0. Hope the Utes can keep it going another year. Cougar fans must be proud. BYU was the only MWC team to lose their bowl game last year. I wonder if any classless Beaver fans spilled beer on Max's family. You knew that was coming.
    good to see you wishy-washy an unable to clearly give due credit, and still fixated on that really crappy loss utah had to that tds.

that game was far from boring. when was the last time you saw two punts go backward?

correction, the beavers did show up, and had the game in their control right up until they lost that fumble, and couldn't control field position with their punting. BYU had terrible field position most of the first quarter, and two drives that netted negative yardage, before they moved the ball.

i would say the fourth quarter would've been boring, except both teams kept playing, including BYU, which I've NEVER seen. very whittingham-ish. surprised BYU didn't kick an onside kick up 44-13 though...

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    correction, the beavers did show up, and had the game in their control right up until they lost that fumble, and couldn't control field position with their punting.
    Dude, that fumble was in the first quarter. So the Beavers had "the game in their control" for a quarter? The game was over at half time and turned into a blowout early in the 3rd quarter.

correction, the beavers did show up, and had the game in their control right up until they lost that fumble, and couldn't control field position with their punting.
    Dude, that fumble was in the first quarter. So the Beavers had "the game in their control" for a quarter? The game was over at half time and turned into a blowout early in the 3rd quarter.
    you said "they never showed up" which is false. oregon state showed up, but they got their teeth kicked in.

Wait, the beavers never showed up. Nah.
    Uhhh that was obviously a joke.

It is always fun to watch your team blow out another team. When the Utes beat Pitt and Alabama I never thought...oh this would be funner if it was close. Hell no! Yet if your just watching the game for the match-up...a number 14 vs 18, then you don't want to see a blowout. Most people prolly turned that game off at half time or early in the 3rd.

Here's my 2 cents.... BYU did a good job of making adjustments in regards to the wind, the Beavers did not.... the situation also played nicely into BYU's hands as the weakest part of the BYU team is the secondary and the wind was like getting to add a free safety over the top....

Also, Max Hall is really good when he is given massive amounts of protection, and the Beaver's have sucked at applying pressure all year long.

The Coug's have a good D line and LB's... which did a good job of shutting down Quizz.....

And with regards to punting.... after you see two punts go backwards it might be a good idea to adjust your punting strategy.... stupid Beavers....

Bottom line

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    the situation also played nicely into BYU's hands as the weakest part of the BYU team is the secondary and the wind was like getting to add a free safety over the top....
    kind of... but you forget that BOTH teams play into the wind, and oregon state had the advantage on wind, ultimately. they chose sides of the field to start, afterall, and would have it in the 4th. the biggest mistake of the game had nothing to do with the wind (the fumble for a touchdown.) and BYU did have an 84 yard drive INTO the wind too...

it is true that BYU's secondary is generally laughable. but you have to admit, they played out of their minds good last night. they were physical, and breaking up stuff they normally aren't even close on. might have gotten away with a few penalties too. but seriously, when was the last time you heard of BYU's secondary manhandling another team?

byu didn't really make adjustments in the wind. they had terrible field position on multiple drives in the first quarter. their punts were not good, but they weren't 6 yards either. oregon state did totally muff those up though. after the first one, why didn't they think they could do the exact same thing the second time? just silly.

but give credit where credit is due. without the wind, BYU still would've kicked the crap out of oregon state last night. they outplayed them in every facet of the game, including when BYU was at a wind disadvantage.

overall, awesome game to watch. but also slightly annoying because it proves that if some players (linebackers and secondary) can actually get up for a game and play with confidence, the cougars actually are a good team, instead of a middle of the pack team. and it sure makes that FSU loss look absolutely ridiculous.

kind of... but you forget that BOTH teams play into the wind, . . . .
    I have been reading some of the national press and comments online and I swear, the wind only blew when Oregon State had the ball. It was truly a Christmas miracle for BYU!
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    kind of... but you forget that BOTH teams play into the wind, . . . .
    I have been reading some of the national press and comments online and I swear, the wind only blew when Oregon State had the ball. It was truly a Christmas miracle for BYU!

i know, it's bizarre. at the beginning of the broadcast, ESPN was even talking about how much of an advantage OSU would have because they got the wind advantage first and fourth, and that Canfield had a stronger arm than Max, so they will benefit.

No doubt BYU just pounded the Beavers.... they were better prepared and they adjusted better.... that game was over at half time and boring to watch after that (at least for me).. I also though the The Beaver's quit in the 4th... at the start of the 4th the Beavers were looking for the exit.... I was a little shocked that BYU's bench let them score..... that was ugly and the Bev's should not have scored....

BYU made a lot of adjustments after their first drive because of the wind.... BYU adjusted their punts into the wind. The punter was kicking low line drives that would go 30 yards into the wind.... that's not usually a good punt, but 30 yards was a good punt last night. Also... there first scripted play was a long ball that the wind caught.... you never saw them go back to that.... which is the reason you script plays.... and interputing the results of the script correctly is good coaching....

The wind helped BYU more.... IMHO... slow secondary and slow recievers.... bad weather and poor conditions ALWAYS helps the team with less speed....