Thread: Man killed in Orem Auto-Pedestrian Accident

Man killed in Orem Auto-Pedestrian Accident

OREM -- An elderly man died Thursday after a truck hit him in an Orem crosswalk.

Police say the 75-year-old man tried to cross 1600 North near 800 West with two women. The driver of a truck made a left-hand turn and hit all three, dragging the man 30 yards.

The two women had minor injuries, but the man was critically injured and died at the hospital.

Police say the driver did not see the pedestrians because of sun in his eyes. The district attorney's office is screening charges against him.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8900459
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I was there on site. It happened on my way to work. I got out and because I used to be a former EMT, I managed the scene until the authorities arrived. There were other witnesses who saw the whole thing better than I did, so I left after the Police took control of the scene.

I have 2 questions:

1)
    What should be done about this? Should the driver go to jail? For how long? etc.

2) I spoke to the driver before the cops arrived. He told me a different reason for the accident happening than the sun being in his eyes (as described by the article). Should I notify the police of his previous statement to me, or is this the sort of thing in which I am always butting in and should butt out?

If my Dad were run over because of another man's carelessness I would want justice though I don't know what justice could make up for these circumstances. If it were my brother driving the car, I would want mercy for him and for things to be as easy as possible as this situation is hard on everyone including the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    I was there on site. It happened on my way to work. I got out and because I used to be a former EMT, I managed the scene until the authorities arrived. There were other witnesses who saw the whole thing better than I did, so I left after the Police took control of the scene.

I have 2 questions:

1)
    What should be done about this? Should the driver go to jail? For how long? etc.

2) I spoke to the driver before the cops arrived. He told me a different reason for the accident happening than the sun being in his eyes (as described by the article). Should I notify the police of his previous statement to me, or is this the sort of thing in which I am always butting in and should butt out?
    You were a witness, you definitely should provide your version of the events, including what he told you. Then let the authorities decide if they want to bring charges against him.

Someone just died. It isn't like you are butting in for a dance at the local singles dance....

if you heard a differrent version of events then i would contact the injured mans lawyer. could be useful in court.

the next thing i would do is try to seal off the intersection as it is obviously too dangerous.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide
    if you heard a differrent version of events then i would contact the injured mans lawyer. could be useful in court.

the next thing i would do is try to seal off the intersection as it is obviously too dangerous.
    a nice 5 lane wide cement memorial might be a nice way to honor the family as well.

At first, the body would bloat, and then decompose. Removal would be easier in a few weeks, unless it gets paved over.

I'm an ass

I have 2 questions:

1)

Discgo, Most of what I do all day is deal with auto accident cases. PLEASE, for the victim's family and the others injured, please call the police and tell the truth. This is not butting in but a civic duty.

As for your first question, again tell the truth and let the legal system and judge work it out. Again, please come forward with the truth. If you are worried about him going to jail (that is where you think he should go) he is looking at a misdemeanor for the "sun in his eyes". If there was something more the charges could go up from there.
    Life is Good

My sister-in-law's father was killed in a similar situation (I never knew how he died before this week because she has never wanted to talk about it in the past). I'll be contacting the authorities.

Seriously though what should happen to this guy? Should he go to jail for a couple years? Should he never be able to drive again? etc.

I was thinking about it and on top of a financial settlement I think a fair sentence is a couple of months in jail to really reflect on the effect of his carelessness and then 100 hours of service a year to this man's family (1 per week) for the next 52 years and an additional 24 hours of service a year to the community for the next 15 years. That way the family receives some direct benefit from their loss in form of compensation and this guy will not "get off" because he will be forced to remember and think of his actions for the next 52 years (surely more than double the remaining life expectancy of the man who died).

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    I'm an ass

Won't be hard to find out who the man was, eh?

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8934019

Yeah, that is the guy. I feel very badly for his widow and I feel badly for the driver (regardless of how reckless he may have been) this just sucks all the way around.

He told me a different reason for the accident happening than the sun being in his eyes (as described by the article).
    So what was it? Texting or something?

or is this the sort of thing in which I am always butting in and should butt out?
    Yeah... that one...

YMMV