Thread: TR: Solo Ascent of Sandtrhax (Yes, Ascent)

TR: Solo Ascent of Sandtrhax (Yes, Ascent)

http://benhebbsandthraxtr.yolasite.com/

If anyone is contemplating going up and has any questions feel free to post or e-mail me:

benjamin.hebb@gmail.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Introduced to canyoneering three weeks ago and pulls off what might be the biggest plum ever plucked from the tree.... that is amazing.

That canyon beat the snot out of me going down, and I had gravity on my side. I can't even begin to imagine going up. I'm impressed....

Thanks for posting the TR and welcome to the forum.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopi...sandthrax+keys

I think someone found your keys :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Holy shit. Very cool TR man! Thanks for posting here! Welcome to Bogley.

Thanks to Penny (who incidentally knew I was there, which was a comfort,
    Nice person to know you're in there! Aaron Ramrass and I upclimbed it to just below the twin-hueco rap a few years back and it was purty sweaty. No gear, though and I know I couldn't have made it the whole way (esp with a pack). MUcho physical - congrats!

p.s. i had always thought the crux ow would be easier on the way up - but didn't really want to find out... :)

Trail Master
    9,500' on a foot hill, of a 14er Above the town of Evergreen Co
    The crux OW is way easier on the way up canyon .......

Trail Master
    9,500' on a foot hill, of a 14er Above the town of Evergreen Co

Sad news folks

Benjamin Hebb passed away on friday 8/27/10 when he fell 800' un-roped off the diamond on longs peak. He fell off the first pitch of the casual route near the top where he was to traverse into the dunn westbay. Apparently he looked solid, but loose rock had the final say as it came off with him from what I've heard. He will be missed dearly. I figured some of you over here might like to know. May he live forever as the legend of a man who got the first ascent (and solo at that) of sandthrax.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    wow

sorry for the loss of your friend

i'm always short on words at times like this. I wish you and his fellow friends peace in the coming days forward.

wow that's very sad news.

Damn, sorry to hear that.

Godspeed

Coroner identifies deceased Longs Peak climber as Benjamin Hebb
    Posted: 08/27/2010 04:15:48 PM MDT

A man fell 800 feet to his death Friday morning while climbing along the Broadway Ledge of the Longs Peak Diamond, as nearby park rangers watched the accident unfold.

Coroner Tom Faure identified the man Saturday as 26-year-old Benjamin R. Hebb of Broomfield. An autopsy is scheduled for Sunday.

Kyle Patterson, a spokeswoman for the park, said two rangers were on a routine climbing patrol along the Yellow Wall Route about 8 a.m. when they saw a man on the Broadway Ledge fall from the nearly vertical cliff along the North Chimney Route.

The rangers immediately called for help and scrambled to reach Hebb.

After a two-hour search, five park rangers reached Hebb's body, Patterson said.

Rangers used a helicopter to take the body from the base of the cliff to the Upper Beaver Meadows area of the park. Officials then transported the body to the Boulder County Coroner's Office in Boulder, which is tasked with identifying the man's remains and notifying his family.

Patterson said the victim appeared to be prepared for the climb.

"This was a guy who was a technical climber, meaning he had ropes and gear," she said.

Hebb was also wearing a helmet.

But for some reason, Patterson said, Hebb was not tethered to the rock when he fell.

"He was not roped into the mountain," she said.

At least he was doing what he loved.

Sad sad news....
    I need a Canyoneering partner! I have a open schedule, all my own gear and am looking to go as much as possible..PM me!

Always hurts to lose someone in their prime. RIP

RIP Ben

I feel very sad to hear about the loss of this talented canyoneer and climber. May his memory live on as others learn of his adventures, especially the first ascent of Sandthrax. I feel a renewed sense of caution in my solo activities as I think of what happened to Ben. RIP Ben.

I was fortunate to meet Ben this spring. An incredibly humble and friendly guy, I had no idea what an amazing climber/canyoneer he was until reading the TRs on Bogley after we met. To all his friends and family, I am very sorry for your loss. I wish I had the chance to get to know him.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey