Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats wrong with the the rigging?

Whats wrong with the the rigging?

Its dead week here at Weber. Nothing to do but study, thus the door room anchor set up.

So whats wrong?

I have seen a friend rig this way in practice.
    Shown is direction of pull.

better off outdoors

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Looks like you have a Munter hitch on your biner block, rather than a clove hitch - a little trick that Randi uses from time to time to speed up passage through the canyons.... ha!

or???

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Looks like you have a Munter hitch on your biner block, rather than a clove hitch - a little trick that Randi uses from time to time to speed up passage through the canyons..
    Ouch, funny!

Yeah, top photo looks like a munter. Bottom just looks like a wrap of sorts.

Tying into a single door and handle isn't really redundant. Be best if you backed it up to the towel rack in the bathroom...

-Brian in SLC
    (who keeps cord in the living room to rig with...)

Looks like you have a Munter hitch on your biner block, rather than a clove hitch - a little trick that Randi uses from time to time to speed up passage through the canyons.... ha!

or???

It was a "friend" (& I use that term very loosly like HIS knot) who tied that biner/munter, which had me zipping through the canyon!
    But, ya know - I would keep an eye on EVERY biner block, and make sure that if any adjustments are done between folks rapelling, that the knot is dressed correctly, because it CAN fail with a slight barely perceptable shift of the cordage, Moses.
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    Looks like you have a Munter hitch on your biner block, rather than a clove hitch - a little trick that Randi uses from time to time to speed up passage through the canyons..
    Ouch, funny!

-Brian in SLC
    It wasn't funny at the time :/
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Mountain Misanthrope ScoutColorado's Avatar
    Tying into a single door and handle isn't really redundant. Be best if you backed it up to the towel rack in the bathroom...

-Brian in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    It wasn't funny at the time :/
    Yeah, I'll bet not.

Now its a "teachable moment" or some such, and, a source of Tom's wicked sense of humor.

Oh, wicked wicked Tom.

I'd a been pretty bummed at the time. To say the least.

Coulda woulda shoulda...

Cheers!

-Brian in SLC

or???

Nailed it. That'd be a fast ride down...when I was learning the munter and clove I would sometimes get them mixed up while rigging.
    better off outdoors

Ouch, funny!

Yeah, top photo looks like a munter. Bottom just looks like a wrap of sorts.

-Brian in SLC
    Even better would have been using my roommate as a meat anchor, all he does is watch tv. Might as well make good use of him.
    better off outdoors

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Technically--your anchor is fine, door knob's,webbing,rapide.
    It is your rigging that is flawed.(munter on biner)

The anchor end's at your rapide, anything done with the rope, attaching to this rapide, is rigging.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7

The anchor end's at your rapide, anything done with the rope, attaching to this rapide, is rigging.
    Thanks for the clarification. Fixed it.
    better off outdoors

what about the hinges?

No one has commented on the un-locked biner, that brings me to a question:

What is the consensus as far as locking the biner during a biner block? I've always locked it
    better off outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by cookiecutter
    No one has commented on the un-locked biner, that brings me to a question:

What is the consensus as far as locking the biner during a biner block? I've always locked it

ALWAYS lock. Even large biners if left unlocked could work themselves through the rapide.

Dang, I never thought of taking pictures of the home made anchors. I should have photographed my rigging I did to hang my christmas lights. Here is the description. I lassoed my daughters bed and pulled the rope out her window for one side of the pitch of the roof. I then took the rope up and over the pitch and then and I slung my old riding lawn mower for the other side of the pitch of the roof. So I had one line from my daughters window up and over the peak, down the other side to my lawn mower. Both were at an angle so I couldn't fall off the front of the roof either. The real purpose for the rope was to prevent me sliding and screaming as I went only to break my legs. I think next year I will place a couple of bolts up at the peak. I thought maybe the satelite dish may do but those screws are short and it is already wiggly. Give me bolts! These natural anchors are ruining my peak shingles!
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I lassoed my daughters bed and pulled the rope out her window for one side of the pitch of the roof. I then took the rope up and over the pitch and then and I slung my old riding lawn mower
    Careful Scott, A few years back there was a similar story about a guy that anchored off the trailer hitch on his truck so he could hang lights. While tied into the rope his wife jumped in the truck without looking and took off for the grocery store. She pulled him off the roof and down the driveway. It used him up pretty good but he lived.

So... I was just thinking if your daughter brought her boyfriend over while you were tied into her bed.... it could get ugly fast....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    So... I was just thinking if your daughter brought her boyfriend over while you were tied into her bed.... it could get ugly fast....

Oh the horror. She is 15. And she has been taught since birth how utterly stupid that would be on soooo many levels.

No, I don't think that would ever happen with my daughter. Jeez, boys have to go through a background check, credit check, fill out a form about their families' mental history and finally be cross examined by me before they can date my daughters. I wonder if there is a boy out there man enough to date my daughters.

BTW, you don't have sons do you? If so, don't even think about it. But I digress... what was this thread about anyway???
    Life is Good

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

There's two 'stages' commonly referred to as 'rigging'. There is rigging the anchor to prepare it to accept the rope; and there is rigging the rope for the rappel.

Tom

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Rigging denotes your rope work of choice, ie.
    double strand
    single strand
    biner block
    munter mule
    etc. etc

I can't qoute you anywhere that this is a fact, but I'm certain you can't do likewise. For clarities sake, my interpretation is the best.
    When I teach technical courses we spend a day on anchor "building", then move on to "rigging".

I would say that when you pull down your anchoring system with you, be it potshot's, retrievable webbing,macrame, etc. it becomes very intertwined. But for general everyday trade canyon's it seem's prudent to make a clear distinction.

When I teach technical courses we spend a day on anchor "building", then move on to "rigging".
    I like this annotation better... clear and precise, with little room for misinterpretation.