Thread: Quandary / Miner's Hollow Conditions Report

Quandary / Miner's Hollow Conditions Report

A group of us spent Thanksgiving in the area.

We did Music, Miner's Hollow, Quandary, and Mud Canyon. Miner's had a few swimmers and some pot holes had ice that we had to break. Over all less water then we expected and some pot holes were dry. Quandary had less water. Most pot holes were dry or only had knee deep water.

We found and removed the coffee can anchor that someone had left earlier this fall. One of the deadmen might have been a coffee can also but we did not excavate to inspect.

Please don't bring even more trash into the canyons!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think you should go back and excavate further. While your at it pack out the bazillion metal pipes near miners hollow and quandary.

Re: Quandary / Miner's Hollow Conditions Report

Quote Originally Posted by rsmiller
    We found and removed the coffee can anchor that someone had left earlier this fall.

Life is Good

Thanks for removing the trash...

The feller responsible for leaving the coffee cans has already been admonished and promised not to do it again.

It was a novice attempt at using natural anchors and not placing bolts, at least give the feller credit for not slamming in a couple of difficult to remove bolts. The coffee cans make clean up easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Thanks for removing the trash...

The feller responsible for leaving the coffee cans has already been admonished and promised not to do it again.

It was a novice attempt at using natural anchors and not placing bolts, at least give the feller credit for not slamming in a couple of difficult to remove bolts. The coffee cans make clean up easier.

This deserves a public reprimand!!!! Where is the MWC when you need them...
    Life is Good

Where was the discussion posted about the coffee cans originally? I'd like to know whether the other anchor was a can also.

Also upon further inspection it looks like the metal broke on 2 of three of the holes so not only does it bring trash into the canyon but it also could be really dangerous.

I was surprised no one has removed the pitons at the last big rap in quandary. It seems like a easy place to build a natural anchor.

It was on the ACA website
    http://www.canyoneering.net/

That site is down (for good?), but it doesn't matter anyways as the site recently went to pay-per-view. If the site ever comes back up maybe one of the pay-per-view guys will quote the specific item you are looking for.

Or... The guy who placed the coffee cans also visits here occationally.... maybe he will point you in the correct direction...

Nice. You gotta be kidding me.

I hate the whole canyoneering community after seeing this.

Actually after further investigation these things look just plain dangerous!

Here are a few pictures of the can. I looks like only one of the attach points held and only just bearly.

Here is the side that blew out.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    If the site ever comes back up maybe one of the pay-per-view guys will quote the specific item you are looking for.
    back up now. It's from this thread: http://www.canyoneering.net/forums/s...ead.php?t=3077

Quote Originally Posted by rsmiller
    Where was the discussion posted about the coffee cans originally? I'd like to know whether the other anchor was a can also.
    for those that can't access: author writes that only one of the two deadman were coffee can's. The other was one small rock with more small rocks pilled on. author in big bold letters states DIG THIS ONE UP AND REPLACE (directed toward the 2nd deadman).

Interesting it says to inspect & evaluate the coffee can but doesn't come straight and say replace like the 2nd dead man, instead use at own risk.

also will add that the strenght rating on the quick links used is only 220lbs!

It's a good idea to inspect deadman anchors because just like this situation you don't know if it was poorly made or not. Good idea to brink a headlamp because you might spend time replacing and evaluating and don't want time to be an excuse to cut corners, IMHO.

rsmiller may I have your permission to hotlink these anchor pictures back into the original thread, maybe even a scenario thread about this anchor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    for those that can't access: author writes that only one of the two deadman were coffee can's. The other was one small rock with more small rocks pilled on. author in big bold letters states DIG THIS ONE UP AND REPLACE (directed toward the 2nd deadman).
    Thanks

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I tried to edit it but Ice posted before I could cleaning edit it so I want to point this one out in it's own post.

The strenght rating on the quick links used is only 220lbs!

Thanks for the info. I can't access the ACA forums - not a member - but please cross link to provide some educational value.

Yeah we used the other anchor with a backup and then the last guy rapped with several spotters. We where running short on time and wanted to push on. It worked (this time) but it was a calculated risk.

Its too bad they (ACA) went members only. They are going backwards in terms of open content on the internet.... and saftey notices like this one would not be visible to the greater community.... thats for another thread though.