Thread: Women Dies Hiking Angels Landing

Women Dies Hiking Angels Landing

Woman dies while hiking in Zion
    By Lindsay Whitehurst
    The Salt Lake Tribune

A woman fell to her death while hiking Friday in Zion National Park, police said.

The 50-year-old Idaho woman was on Angels Landing, a narrow trail in the park, when she fell, according to a release from the Washington County Sheriff's Office.

Her name was not immediately released pending family notification. Washington County deputies and National Park Rangers are investigating how she fell off the trail.

This is the second death on Angel's Landing this year. In August, a 55-year-old California woman died after stumbling and falling on the extremely narrow hiking path.

Angels Landing is located in the southern part of the park, about 50 miles from St. George.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_13885141

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Her death is regrettable and I feel sorry for her family's loss.

I feel like we are in jeopardy of losing a lot of cool features of Utah if people don't start being more careful.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

That sucks.. I guess it is time to blow angels landing and that trail off the map so no-one can get hurt on it anymore...
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Here is the NPS Report....

Woman Falls from Angels Landing in Zion National Park
    Date: November 30, 2009

Tammy Grunig, 50, of Pocatello, ID and St. George, UT fell to her death in Zion National Park on Friday, November 27, 2009. The fall of approximately 1,000 feet occurred on the north side of Angels Landing while Mrs. Grunig was hiking the popular route of the same name. The Washington County Sheriff

from the Idaho State Journal:

Local woman dies in fall in Zion National Park
    StoryComments (0)
    Share This
    ShareSend this page to your friendsPrintCreate a hardcopy of this pageFont Size:Default font sizeLarger font size
    Photo by: Submitted photo

Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 12:55 am | Updated: .

By Yann Ranaivo yranaivo@journalnet.com | 0 comments

By Yann Ranaivo

yranaivo@journalnet.com

A Pocatello woman, who had residences in both Pocatello and St. George, Utah, was found dead Friday evening at Zion National Park in Utah.

Officials with the Southwest Utah park reported Tammy Grunig, 50, died after she fell approximately 1,000 feet from the narrow Angels Landing Trail. Police reported other hikers witnessed the fall and phoned 911.

After St. George police were notified of the accident at 2:10 p.m., park rangers were dispatched to Angels Landing, while a ground search and rescue team was mobilized. The trail was closed for a short period during the investigation, and Grunig

I was in Mystery Canyon on Friday. When we came out we noticed some headlamps way up on the wall. We thought they were big wall climbers, but it turned out to be the rescue. Since it was kinda late when we came out I checked in with the search team on the off chance they were staging to look for us. I didn't ask any details of the operation, but I had a feeling that it was in regards to a fatality on Angels Landing by the looks on the rescuers faces and their generally distracted/focused demeanor. It's a tough job those SAR guys volunteer to do.
    Remember kids, don't try this at home. Try it at someone else's home.