Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bogley Family Fest - Zion - May 2010

Bogley Family Fest - Zion - May 2010

Bogley Family Fest - Zion - May 2010
    Thursday through Sunday nights, May 20-23.

Watch the first Post for current info:

We're meeting for dinner at the Pizza Noodle Thursday evening around 6-6:30.

No real group plans for Friday night dinner (Cook in camp? Hit that Thai place just outside the park?)

We're doing a Pot-Luck dinner Saturday night, I haven

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would love to have a family fest and the end of may sounds like it should work nicely for me.

By the way I am embarrassed to admit this, but I didn't know you had kids Kev. I have wondered why you decided not have children but I didn't want to pry. So congratulations on what appear to me as two new children :)
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

This is a great idea. Except my two worst months are May and September. I have every kid playing soccer all over Utah those two months. With two cars and 4 kids it is nuts.
    Life is Good

I'm interested in a family fest.... my only concern is May can be a little early for Zion Canyoneering. A lot of the good family routes are under snow, have high water issues or are filled with ice cold water.

Mountain Misanthrope ScoutColorado's Avatar

Family rental

I might be in the Zion area that weekend, but I'd have to rent a family.
    Any ideas on what that might cost?

Re: Family rental

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutColorado
    I might be in the Zion area that weekend, but I'd have to rent a family.
    Any ideas on what that might cost?
    I'll pay you if you will take my kids for 2 weeks.

Mountain Misanthrope ScoutColorado's Avatar

rental

Kind figured I might get an offer like that.
    Especially from you Mark.
    I was actually more interested in the "wife" part.

Re: rental

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutColorado
    I was actually more interested in the "wife" part.
    Unless you throw in some rug rats it's a "couples" fest and not a "family" fest isn't it? But luckily I think all that would be required is to be able to tolerate our families as opposed to being required to have one.

I'd love a chance to do another fest with my family in tow. Not sure of the date yet though. I see that it is the weekend of my son's school's prom. I don't know if he had any ideas to go to that or not (it's not just for seniors). But I'll float the idea and see if we can swing it even if just as a quick flight to Vegas for the weekend.

If the canyon's are too cold maybe we can find some climbing routes that are family friendly? I bet Bo would have some ideas...
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

I can't come up with a family that fast, but I'll meet you after the fest for some canyons.

Let me know.

That might be possible for my crew.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Hey, ststephen, I heard good things - it would be great to meet you and yours there!

ScoutColorado, hope you can make it, too!

Brewhaha, it'd be great to see you again, and meet your crew!

Matt, after I drop the kids off at the airport on Monday the 24th, I plan to hit Boulder the following weekend. Free on weekdays? Or plans for Memorial Day long weekend? We'll talk...

Back at you Kev!

Well Aaron says the "prom" at his school is not for middle school kids so maybe this can work. He certainly said he'd like to get back in some canyons or up some mountains or something and it would be so great to do that with some other kids.

Cool - something adventurous to look forward to
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

I'll just bump this every now and then; a little reminder to keep the idea simmering.

I've made a campsite reservation at Watchman for Thursday through Sunday nights, May 20-23. We've got 1 tent and 3 people - room for 1 more tent with up to 3 people. More sites available nearby, too, if anyone wants to do the so-called "civilized" sardine camping that you have to pay for. Hey, I like it. We're in Loop D, number 34.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    I'll just bump this every now and then; a little reminder to keep the idea simmering.

I've made a campsite reservation at Watchman for Thursday through Sunday nights, May 20-23. We've got 1 tent and 3 people - room for 1 more tent with up to 3 people. More sites available nearby, too, if anyone wants to do the so-called "civilized" sardine camping that you have to pay for. Hey, I like it. We're in Loop D, number 34.
    I checked out the reservations and there are good campsites remaining right around Kev. Looks like a good time to make a reservation as it would be a small cancellation fee if you needed to cancel in the future.

Is anyone planning to tent at Watchman?

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia

I checked out the reservations and there are good campsites remaining right around Kev. Looks like a good time to make a reservation as it would be a small cancellation fee if you needed to cancel in the future.

Is anyone planning to tent at Watchman?
    My family is in for a Zion W/E getaway. I just need to round up some kids! My dot Finch will come for sure, maybe some of her friends, but I don't think my dot Sarah can get the time off of work. Damn her w/e work shcedule! :(

I'll go check out reserving a site!
    Kev, what do you plan on doing? If Finch's friends come, I'm not sure they'd be up for Pine Creek - but I think they'd be OK with Keyhole. Could be, we'd end up doing more hiking than canyoneering, cuz these city kids are a bit wimpy------but, it would still be fun.

So, I will be there for sure, with some amount of kids!
    Well, not really kids as they're in the 16 - 18 YO range - not quite kids anymore.....
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    I'm not sure they'd be up for Pine Creek - but I think they'd be OK with Keyhole. Could be, we'd end up doing more hiking than canyoneering,.....
    Well, we know that I will not be canyoneering.

I'm planning to just hang out and enjoy. I can be shuttle driver. I will also plan to have lunch at the North Rim one of the days.

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    I'm not sure they'd be up for Pine Creek - but I think they'd be OK with Keyhole. Could be, we'd end up doing more hiking than canyoneering,.....
    Well, we know that I will not be canyoneering.

I'm planning to just hang out and enjoy. I can be shuttle driver. I will also plan to have lunch at the North Rim one of the days.

Alrighty then - I've just reserved site #32 next to #34!

6 people/2 tents/2 vehicles!
    But, I'll most likey have 4 people/1 tent/1 vehicle...

Wer'e gonna have SOOOO MUCH fun!

Cool, Randi!

Y'all know that we'll be celebrating Felicia's & my birthday on Saturday, too, right?

I've kind of been talking it over with ststephen a bit, too. I definitely want to do a quick intro Keyhole, and really want to take the kids through Pine Creek. Other than that, on the table are things like Spry and Behunin. But depending on the kids and how they lean towards raps vs. long walks, something like the Subway on the more walking side, or Birch Hollow on the more rapping side.

Unfortunately, with the big snow year, I'm thinking that Mystery will not be in season yet by May 20. Last year, it was available from about the 18th on, except for the 24th. On the other hand, if it starts melting early, it may happen - and that's one I'd like to take them through.

I just booked site 33.

Cool, Randi!

Y'all know that we'll be celebrating Felicia's & my birthday on Saturday, too, right?

I've kind of been talking it over with ststephen a bit, too. I definitely want to do a quick intro Keyhole, and really want to take the kids through Pine Creek. Other than that, on the table are things like Spry and Behunin. But depending on the kids and how they lean towards raps vs. long walks, something like the Subway on the more walking side, or Birch Hollow on the more rapping side.

Unfortunately, with the big snow year, I'm thinking that Mystery will not be in season yet by May 20. Last year, it was available from about the 18th on, except for the 24th. On the other hand, if it starts melting early, it may happen - and that's one I'd like to take them through.
    We won't be pulling in until late Friday night, and we'll have to leave by 3ish on Sunday - not a long w/e for us sadly. But what the heck, we'll have two full days and a couple of nights in Zion with y'all ~

And with two Birthdays to celebrate too!

Do you think we could get a Subway permit? I'd attempt to take the kids through subway if we could a permit! I'm more concerned with taking them down big raps. Not my daughter, the other people's kids!