Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: NEWS FLASH- Man Stuck in Nutty Putty Cave

Well, it is happening despite what anyone wants....

From KSL:
    PROVO, Utah (AP) -- The Utah County sheriff's office has begun to seal off the deadly Nutty Putty Cave.

Officials decided to permanently close the cavern after 26-year-old John Jones died last week after he became stuck in a narrow crevice.

Sheriff Jim Tracy says the popular spelunking site south of Salt Lake City will be completely sealed by the end of the week.

He says the cave will have two seals, one where Jones' body now lies, and one at the entrance of the cave.

Tracy says there has been significant backlash against closing the cave. He says it is not a decision that will make everyone happy, but it serves all parties the best.
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hmmm.

It is interesting that they are sealing the finger John Jones is in as well as the entrance. Maybe the entrance will be reopened some day.

Any one know if there is any legal effort to stop the county from sealing off the cave? I may be interested. This kind of thing really ticks me off. (AKA Zion Permit system)
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    Any one know if there is any legal effort to stop the county from sealing off the cave? I may be interested. This kind of thing really ticks me off. (AKA Zion Permit system)
    Scott, I PM'ed you some contact information that I have.

Good Luck, I'd hate to loss that cave.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Scott, I PM'ed you some contact information that I have.

Good Luck, I'd hate to loss that cave.

Not a lot of money sitting around but I'd be happy to volunteer time, write another letter or make more phone calls if it might help.

I don't even like caves; they're scary, but closing this is bullshit.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I'll probably head out there on Saturday to see how the entrance is being sealed. My boy (age 11) and I have always had a goal to explore the areas I could fit in (I'm 6'1 and 220 pounds).
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Any one know if there is any legal effort to stop the county from sealing off the cave?
    Since it is on private land, it doesn't seem like there would be any way to stop it legally.

this just in: death penalty supporters take different stance with cave on gallows...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P
    Since it is on private land, it doesn't seem like there would be any way to stop it legally.
    There is always a way.... if nothing else.... since its private land that means it has a price.

Might be able to get it cheap right now. I bet SITLA would love nothing better than to climb out from under this mess right now.

I just recieved this.....

Friends of Nutty Putty Cave

First and foremost, I'd like to thank everybody who has taken the time to call the Sheriff, Trust Lands, and their Legislative Representatives. Without these actions we never would have been able to convince the Sheriff to put in a "removable" plug in the cave, or generated the News stories that we have been constantly following. It was your actions that allowed everybody to know exactly how the public felt and how big an atrocity was being committed by these "officials" by rushing this action instead of at least allowing for Public hearings that are standard on natural formations such as this Cave. The Nutty Putty stories are far from over. KSL is doing some pod casts from supporter's houses tonight, we have word that a demonstration is taking place at the Cave itself, and KSL is still doing Radio interviews that will continue to be aired in the following days. The primary message behind these stories is over the concern of citizens like us who feel this decision was made in hast and was a travesty because no public input was even allowed. We understand many of you are not cavers, but lover's of freedom and independance. Please stick with us so we can continue this pressure.

To clear a few things up, I

This cave is clearly a killer hole. It should pay for its misdeeds and be permanently plugged for the greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon
    This cave is clearly a killer hole. It should pay for its misdeeds and be permanently plugged for the greater good.
    We should bolt more canyons to prevent more injury on rappels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Sorry but you have it wrong on the Canyons... some C4 to collapse them and posted guards 24/7 so people can't even go on the rubble
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Sorry but you have it wrong on the Canyons... some C4 to collapse them and posted guards 24/7 so people can't even go on the rubble
    That would make some sweet caves.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Stopped by Nutty Putty today to see how it was sealed off. Hard to determine with the amount of snow:

2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

I love that you went out there to check it out. Surprisingly nice TR!

I saw this in Saturday and Sunday's paper..... great read.

Thanks Don for the links. You are right, tough to read some of it but well worth it too.
    Life is Good