Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NEWS FLASH- Man Stuck in Nutty Putty Cave

I sometimes read the comments on KSL but it seems when I do I usually get annoyed at how stupid most comments are. These finds of yours are pretty good.
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There were over 260 comments last time I checked.... but the part I found interesting is most of the really good (entertaining?!?) comments came from members of Bogley.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    ... but the part I found interesting is most of the really good (entertaining?!?) comments came from members of Bogley.

Really? Who?

Man stuck in cave on verge of freedom
    November 25, 2009

UTAH COUNTY -- A man stuck in the notorious Nutty Putty Cave west of Utah Lake is finally on the verge of freedom. Rescue workers have been trying for nearly 20 hours to free him.

They now say crews have made significant progress in getting 26-year-old John Jones of Stansbury Park out of the tight space he was lodged in, head-down. He now is in a more open space, his head has been moved to an upright position. Moving him all the way out of the cave could take another two hours.

He became trapped inside the cave around 9 p.m. Tuesday.

Sgt. Spencer Cannon of the Utah County Sheriff's Office said Jones was stuck in a very tightly confined space, about 18 inches wide and 8-10 inches high. He was in a head-down position, with his head lower than his feet, about 125 feet or so below the surface and somewhere in the neighborhood of 600-700 feet into the cave.

"Getting people to him where they can actually help him, or removing material -- which is one of the efforts they're trying -- and getting access to be able to do that is very difficult," Cannon said.

Rescue teams from all along the Wasatch Front who are specially trained for situations like this are helping, along with some caving experts who have expertise in the Nutty Putty Cave.

Cannon said of Jones, "His spirits are amazingly good given the circumstances. His physical condition-- obviously he's very tired, he's very worn out, and very uncomfortable. But we're hopeful that once we do get him freed that he's going to be in decent shape. But after almost 19 hours now being stuck, I'm sure he's not going to be feeling well."

Jones and 10 other people had permission to explore the cave Tuesday evening. They had been in the cave for about two hours when Jones became stuck in an area known as Bob's Porch. Jones, who is about 6 feet tall and weights between 190 and 200 pounds, got stuck around 9 p.m.

All of the others who were with him safely made it out of the cave. Rescuers have been able to give Jones water and say he is in good spirits, given the circumstances.

Rescuers worked to get air tools into the constricted area to free some rocks around the man.

Jones' father, who is at the rescue site, said his son has some experience in caves. "He's been in caves. I've got pictures of him at the bottom of the Bloomington caves in a tight spot. So it's not the first time he's been in a tight spot. "

Cannon said the cave is not considered ecologically sensitive. "Even if that were the case, if you have to knock down a 10-million-year-old stalactite to get somebody out to save a life, we would do it," he said.

The Nutty Putty cave is on state school trust land managed by just as a local club of cave enthusiasts, the Timpanogos Grotto. We are not aware of any rescues since the club took over, but in 2004 crews were involved in a 10 hour rescue for a 16-year-old boy who became stuck inside.

A medical helicopter is on standby at the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Cannon said of Jones, "His spirits are amazingly good given the circumstances. His physical condition-- obviously he's very tired, he's very worn out, and very uncomfortable. But we're hopeful that once we do get him freed that he's going to be in decent shape. But after almost 19 hours now being stuck, I'm sure he's not going to be feeling well."
    Amazing! I can tell you this, if I were stuck in that position it would not be said of me that I was in good spirits. They'd be reporting that the emergency crews were having difficulty working because my loud moaning and crying was very distracting.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    I dont see what the big deal is.
    Cant they just cut him in half and reassemble him on the surface?
    According to the permit system, this would technically cut him in two, so there'd be one more person that needed to buy a permit.

Unfortunately, it'd be his top half, and the wallet is in the bottom half.
    what if you split him down the middle?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    edit: he took a turn for the worse and I'm removing this post

I dont see what the big deal is.
    Cant they just cut him in half and reassemble him on the surface?
    According to the permit system, this would technically cut him in two, so there'd be one more person that needed to buy a permit.

Unfortunately, it'd be his top half, and the wallet is in the bottom half.
    what if you split him down the middle?
    Unless the dude has a fanny pack, his wallet is in his right rear pocket. Well, that's the side that real men keep their wallet on.

Cave rescue suffers major setback
    November 25, 2009

UTAH COUNTY -- A Stansbury Park man has been trapped inside a cave now for more than 24 hours. He became stuck in a tight spot in the Nutty Putty Cave, west of Utah Lake, and rescuers are inching closer to freeing him, even with a major setback.

Concern is growing for the man, who has hardly moved in a day's time. He is in an amazing predicament with more than 100 rescuers working to save him. That rescue effort suffered a discouraging setback earlier in the evening.

Sgt. Spencer Cannon, with the Utah County Sheriff's Office, said, "They had him to a level spot where he wasn't heading downhill with his head below his feet. During the course of that, they have a raising system to hold him in position, and one of the devices of that system failed, and Mr. Jones actually fell back to the area where he had been stuck for so long."

The rescue teams have been reassessing the situation since then and working to free 26-year-old John Jones who is from Stansbury Park.

Jones became wedged head-down in the cave around 9 p.m. Tuesday.

The spot he is stuck is known as Bob's Push and is described to be 125 feet below and about 700 feet away from the cave's entrance, requiring someone to meander through numerous confined spaces. The actual area in which he is trapped is described as being 18 inches wide and just 8 to 10 inches tall.

"Getting people to him where they can actually help him, or removing material -- which is one of the efforts they're trying -- and getting access to be able to do that is very difficult," Cannon said.

Earlier in the day, crews drilled holes into rocks and used pulleys to move Jones to a position from which they think he can be more easily removed from the cave.

Family members are waiting outside the cave and talking by two-way radio to Jones, giving him encouragement. They say they have faith that Jones has the strength to get through this.

His father, Leon Jones, said, "John is an incredible young man. And as an old guy, I look up to John and idolize him. He's a great example to me."

Crews have brought in some pneumatic tools to help grind and chip away the rock to open up more space. It's very tedious and difficult work for search and rescue teams, which now have come from all across the Wasatch Front.

Rescuers are still optimistic about getting Jones out safely. Teams are taking turns inside the cave and say they will continue the rescue around the clock.

Jones and 10 other people had permission to explore the cave Tuesday evening. They had been in the cave for about two hours when Jones became stuck in an area known as Bob's Push. Jones, who is about 6 feet tall and weighs between 190 and 200 pounds, got stuck around 9 p.m.

All of the others who were with him safely made it out of the cave. Rescuers have been able to give Jones water.

Cannon said the cave is not considered ecologically sensitive. "Even if that were the case, if you have to knock down a 10-million-year-old stalactite to get somebody out to save a life, we would do it," he said.

The Nutty Putty cave is on state school trust land managed by just as a local club of cave enthusiasts, the Timpanogos Grotto. We are not aware of any rescues since the club took over, but in 2004 crews were involved in a 10 hour rescue for a 16-year-old boy who became stuck inside.

A medical helicopter is on standby at the scene.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Sounds like he fell back to where he got stuck in the first place.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8800398

FWIW: I figure it's only a matter of time before we experiance a similar rescue in one of the skinny slot canyons.

I feel so badly for this guy. I sure hope he is alright.

That poor bastard. I feel like a total tool for bitchin' about how shity my day has been. I am so ashamed.

James

After seeing this on the news last night (after the setback), you could tell it was serious enough to worry about what eventually happened. What a horrible way to go. Truth is, things happen to the best of us. Bogley thoughts are with the family. Good on the rescuers for sticking it out and trying for so long. I'm sure the cave will close.

--

Man trapped in cave dies
    November 26th, 2009 @ 2:58am

UTAH COUNTY -- After being trapped in the Nutty Putty Caves for more than 27 hours, John Jones died Thursday morning, shortly after midnight.

Efforts to pull him from the cave were continuing when he passed away. The exact cause of his death is uncertain at this time, though Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. said Jones had had trouble maintaining consciousness and breathing Wednesday night.

Crews will continue extricate his body from the cave, but it is likely to take several more hours.

Wednesday evening, rescue crews suffered a setback after nearly having Jones free.

Cannon said Wednesday, "They had him to a level spot where he wasn't heading downhill with his head below his feet. During the course of that, they have a raising system to hold him in position, and one of the devices of that system failed, and Mr. Jones actually fell back to the area where he had been stuck for so long."

Jones became trapped at about 9 p.m. Tuesday.

Darn it! That sucks!

Wow. How sad for his family. I'm bettin not much thanks going around his family this Thanksgiving holiday.

Condolences to the family.

Hats of to the rescuers!

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    That poor bastard. I feel like a total tool for bitchin' about how shity my day has been. I am so ashamed.

James
    That is EXACTLY how I feel James. My day sucked but this poor man's story only gives me perspective that what I consider to be a "bad day" is really only a tribute to the charmed life that I live. (That is going to be my Facebook status right now)

(I think the guy looked like DeathCricket)

Wow, I can't believe he died. I was caught off guard on that. I was expecting some permanent numbness or something in his arm.

I wonder what it was that killed him, because it sounded like they were able to get food and water to him ok, and that he was breathing. Maybe when he slipped back down, it was much worse.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Wow, I can't believe he died. I was caught off guard on that. I was expecting some permanent numbness or something in his arm.

I wonder what it was that killed him, because it sounded like they were able to get food and water to him ok, and that he was breathing. Maybe when he slipped back down, it was much worse.
    I'm sure he died due to the position of his head being lower than his heart. He probably died because of pressure on the brain.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce