Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NEWS FLASH- Man Stuck in Nutty Putty Cave

NEWS FLASH- Man Stuck in Nutty Putty Cave

Crews work to rescue man stuck in cave
    November 25th, 2009 @ 8:28am

UTAH COUNTY -- More than 30 rescuers are trying to reach a man stuck in the Nutty Putty Caves in Utah County.

The Utah County Sheriff's Office says the 26-year-old man was with a group of 11 people when he became lodged in a narrow part of a cave around 8:45 p.m. Tuesday. Friends called authorities around 9:30 p.m. saying the man was stuck and could move only a couple of inches.

A helicopter is on stand by and crews from Utah County and Orem City say it could be hours before they're able to free him.

The sheriff's office says the group had a permit to tour the caves.

People have become trapped in this area in the past, and crews have had to chip away at rock to free them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Update: For those familiar with the cave he is stuck in the Birth Canal.

And here is the Beta for anyone interested in getting stuck... err... I mean exploring Nutty Putty Cave.

Nutty Putty Cave
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/nutty.htm

edit... you beat me to it.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redpb
    edit... you beat me to it.
    jumar beat both of you

http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopi...=190933#190933

Bring some Vaseline ...

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    jumar beat both of you
    Yeah... but he put it down where very few will read it.

I've been reading some of the comments on the KSL board... pure comedy gold....

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148...&comments=true

A human body should only spelunker through the birth canal once in a life time..... One big push, a little yank and a slap on buttocks....everything will be just fine!
    Maybe it should be the governments job to put all the stupid people in the Nutty Putty cave, then seal it up. But I think we need a much bigger cave!
    Search & Rescue might have to let him go hungry for a few days until he loses some weight. . . like Winnie the Pooh had to do! Sorry about Thanksgiving this year Pal!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I've been reading some of the comments on the KSL board... pure comedy gold....
    FlieByNight
    Report Comment 8:28am - Wed Nov 25th, 2009

@TripleTeazer - Chip away at the rock to get people free?? Great... Won't be able to call that area the "birth canal" after this. It will be like throwing a hotdog down a hallway.. :(

I'm anxious to see the news footage of how they get the helicopter into the cave to rescue him.
    They should leave him there to think about what his next smart move will be.

dang, the crews are there but he's still stuck. Expecting a few more hours.

I wonder if he is crying? I am pretty sure I would have lost it.

I don't know how familiar you guys are with the Nutty Putty caves but I'm quite certain it wouldn't be the Birth Canal but the wormhole in which he is stuck.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

The cave has been in labor for HOURS! Might be time for a c-section...

I think getting stuck in the cave would be pretty scary and traumatic. I hope he gets out soon. I

[quote=Scott P]I think getting stuck in the cave would be pretty scary and traumatic. I hope he gets out soon. I
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I wonder if the man's father told him to do it "for the show" I guess we'll find out.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

I dont see what the big deal is.
    Cant they just cut him in half and reassemble him on the surface?

Crews make some progress in moving man stuck in cave
    November 25, 2009

UTAH COUNTY -- Rescuers have been able to move a man stuck in Utah County's Nutty Putty cave about 12 feet, but there's still no estimate when he'll be freed.

He has been stuck there since 9 p.m. Tuesday. Rescue teams have been working ever since to free the man, and concern for the man's condition keeps increasing as time goes on.

Reinforcements are being brought in to aid in the rescue. Teams from West Valley, Murray, West Jordan and South Jordan have arrived on scene to replace some of the rescuers who've been in the cave since the page for help went out Tuesday night.

Utah County sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon said, "Any time you're in a position where you don't have control over when you come and go, it's gonna have an effect on a person, emotionally."

It has turned into a very tedious and precarious rescue for the man. We are told crews are making some progress, but he is still in a very tight spot. He is about 125 feet or so below the surface and somewhere in the neighborhood of 600-700 feet into the cave.

The man who is trapped has been identified as 26-year-old John Jones. He and 10 other people had permission to explore the cave Tuesday evening. Jones, who is about 6 feet tall and weights between 190 and 200 pounds, got stuck around 9 p.m.

Cannon said, "He's stuck head down, and that would tell me he was probably still on his way in. The feature he is stuck in is called Bob's Push. It is 18 inches wide by about eight or 10 inches high."

He added, "To say he is very uncomfortable would be an understatement."

All of the others who were with him have safely made it out of the cave. Rescuers have been able to give him water and say Jones is in good spirits, given the circumstances.

Rescuers are working to get air tools into the constricted area to free some rocks around the man.

Cannon said the cave is not considered ecologically sensitive. "Even if that were the case, if you have to knock down a 10-million-year-old stalactite to get somebody out to save a life, we would do it," he said.

Cannon said about 40 people from numerous agencies are on the scene to assist in the rescue, including confined space rescue experts from Utah, Wasatch and Salt Lake Counties.

The Nutty Putty cave is on state school trust land managed by just as a local club of cave enthusiasts, the Timpanogos Grotto. We are not aware of any rescues since the club took over, but in 2004 crews were involved in a 10 hour rescue for a 16-year-old boy who became stuck inside.

It's unknown how long it will be before Jones is safely rescued, but a medical helicopter is on standby at the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    I dont see what the big deal is.
    Cant they just cut him in half and reassemble him on the surface?
    According to the permit system, this would technically cut him in two, so there'd be one more person that needed to buy a permit.

Unfortunately, it'd be his top half, and the wallet is in the bottom half.

Man still wedged in Utah County cave after 18 hours
    By Lindsay Whitehurst
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Updated:11/25/2009 02:56:55 PM MST

Search and rescue crews are working to free a man stuck upside down in a crevice of Utah County's Nutty Putty cave since Tuesday night.

John Jones, a 26-year-old from Stansbury Park, is suffering from circulation problems after getting wedged in a narrow part of the cave called "Bob's Push" around 8:45 p.m., said Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon.

"He's just plain, flat stuck," Cannon said, but is doing "remarkably well given the circumstances."

Jones, a medical student at the University of Virginia, was with a group of 11 people who shimmied into the narrow entrance to the cave, which is a hole on top of a hill about seven miles west of State Road 68. He got stuck about 700 feet into the cave and is now about 150 feet underground.

"We were just looking forward to a good time," said Mike Jones, the victim's 32-year-old brother. "We were in a pretty happy mood."

The group split into two, with several children and some adults staying behind in the less treacherous "big slide" area while some others went looking for "an adventure" in the more advanced parts of the cave, said 23-year-old Josh Jones, another brother who was with the group.

Jones, who is about six feet tall and 200 pounds, was going head-first into a space 18 inches wide by 8 to 10 inches tall when he realized he was stuck.

"He got to a point where he couldn't back out. He got himself wedged into the vertical crevice upside down," Josh Jones said.

The family tried to free him, but soon realized the situation required more help.

"I was only able to see his two feet that was hanging there in the crevice," Josh Jones said. "I wasn't able to see more because he was engulfed in the crevice itself."

Jones is conscious, and has been throughout the ordeal. The geothermal cave is about 60 degrees, Cannon said. He said about 100 rescuers have been involved, with fresh crews rotating in. They plan to fly him to a hospital after he is freed because of the length of time he's been immobile.

Cannon noted that one of Jones' arms is pinned beneath his body.

"It's like if you're watching T.V. and you have your leg underneath you and it falls asleep," Cannon said. "Usually, you move, but he hasn't been able to move."

Search and rescue crews are using air-powered tools to chip away at the rock to pull him out.

"There's a lot of pushing and pulling," Cannon said. "It's almost literally a millimeter at a time."

Karl Vizmeg, an emergency room doctor at Mountian View Hospital in Payson, said that, hypothetically, he would be most concerned about the loss of blood flow to the arm stuck beneath the trapped man's body.

"If there truly is compromise of the arterial circulation, he could lose a limb," Vizmeg told The Tribune .

But Vizmeg added that losing a limb would be unlikely because there are "several avenues of arterial flow" in the arm.

Another potential complication -- from a combination of being immobilized and having compression to a limb -- is muscle breakdown, causing the elevation of an enzyme that can cause kidney damage.

The enzyme, creatine phosphokinase, is also created during exercise, but in amounts small enough that the kidneys can clear it out, Vizmeg said.

"But when muscles are traumatized, you can have a large load released and the kidneys can't clear it and it causes kidney damage," he said.

The last search and rescues there were in 2004, when two people became trapped in separate incidents within a week of each other. A 16-year-old got stuck in the same place Jones did.

After those incidents, a local caving group, Timpanogos Grotto, took over access to the caves, requiring proper preparations and approval for people seeking to go there.

The approximately 1,500-foot-long cave has several narrow passageways, and is a popular spot for caving enthusiasts, Cannon said.

Rescue crews with special equipment and a medical helicopter wait Wednesday near the entrance to the Nutty Putty Cave, where John Jones, 26, of Stansbury Park, has been trapped since Tuesday night. (Al Hartmann / The Salt Lake Tribune)

Utah/BYU smack talk visits the cave....

Tell max he needs to get out because he has a big game against UTAH this saturday.
    Wynn would be crying "really I'm trying to get out.. I have a big game." as he thanked god for his situation.
    Its not wynn, he's not 26 and still playig college football.
    Shouldn't Max Hall be at practice getting ready for a beat-down on Saturday? Dude's head gets stuck everywhere.