Thread: Canyoneering: How to Tie a Swiss Seat Harness

Canyoneering: How to Tie a Swiss Seat Harness

This is probably one of those things every canyoneer should know how to tie.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Re: Canyoneering: How to Tie a Swiss Seat Harness

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

This is probably one of those things every canyoneer should know how to tie.
    Wow, they make it so complicated.

People have many different ideas of what constitutes a 'Swiss Seat'. This one shown is not mine. Much simpler works OK. KISS! I guess I will have to cover that in the next book.

Tom

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Wow--that guy look's like he forgot to tie everything together.
    Here's the version I use, very simple to tie and reasonably comfortable.

http://home.arcor.de/varn/rappel/swiss_seat.htm

So - how reliable, trusted, safe... are these methods? I tried the diaper sling posted on the other thread, and i think i like it alot. Most of the time we go it is to the North Wash, and i hate seeing all my gear get shredded. I have been wanting to try out a swiss seat or something for a while, and i am too lazy to take my harness off between raps.

After trying out the diaper sling, my only concern is that, before loading it, I would definitely need to make sure the loop coming through my legs is... in the correct place so that i dont smash things that shouldnt be smashed. Obviously, i wouldnt use it for bigger, free hanging raps - just those skinny north wash canyons with smaller raps, few and far between.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27
    So - how reliable, trusted, safe... are these methods? I tried the diaper sling posted on the other thread, and i think i like it alot. Most of the time we go it is to the North Wash, and i hate seeing all my gear get shredded. I have been wanting to try out a swiss seat or something for a while, and i am too lazy to take my harness off between raps.

After trying out the diaper sling, my only concern is that, before loading it, I would definitely need to make sure the loop coming through my legs is... in the correct place so that i dont smash things that shouldnt be smashed. Obviously, i wouldnt use it for bigger, free hanging raps - just those skinny north wash canyons with smaller raps, few and far between.
    works great. it used to be all i would use in the skinnies. now i have enough garbage gear that i have a junk harness for rapping in the skinnies.

hell, brejcha raps on just an alpine bod belt, so...

AJ rapped on some webbing cluster mess the whole time in moab. Seemed to work, he didn't die.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27

We use the diaper sling for scouts in orderville and subway. We just use a sewn sling, works great.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    AJ rapped on some webbing cluster mess the whole time in moab. Seemed to work, he didn't die.

Mark
    I use a webbing harness quite a bit. Anything up to 200' is fair game. As DWayne stated, you just need to make sure you clip all the strands of it; otherwise it can be rather uncomfortable. If you take the time to tie it right, it works awesome. Incredibly inexpensive, and tied right, can be as comfortable as a regular harness; and takes me less than 30 seconds to put on.

Depending on how many raps and how long of a day, I'll decide whether I take a webbing harness; or a store bought thicker webbing harness such as the Black Diamond Vario Speed or the Yates 8000m. I'm all about lightweight gear...

Bogley BigShot
    Looks Kinky.