Thread: North Cascades 2003

North Cascades 2003

The photo lab owes me money so the slides are going digital. Here is the July 2003 3 week trip. Torment, Sharkfin, Sahale, Goode, Triumph, Sloan etc.
    If well received, I will post other year's trips here.
    Ram

http://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/2003Cascades#

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sweet pics RAM! I really enjoyed them, thanks for sharing

Question (and maybe a tough one).. Canyoneering vs Mountaineering? either one your favorite?
    better off outdoors

The cascade pics are awesome as always Ram. Cookiecutter, if Ram doesn't answer, I can answer for him later. I, and many others, have asked the same question. I'll embed some of the images here for you Ram, since I know trying to figure out how to do these types of things makes your head hurt

Quote Originally Posted by cookiecutter
    Sweet pics RAM! I really enjoyed them, thanks for sharing

Question (and maybe a tough one).. Canyoneering vs Mountaineering? either one your favorite?

Not tough at all. Not even close. Mountaineering by a landslide. I canyon more than climb simply because the season is longer than in the mountains and I'm over doing too much off season mountaineering any more. The beauty. The effort. The focus. The solitude. The bomb!! Mountains all the way.
    Ram

i'm thinkin' those delinquent clients are making a lot of us happy, seeing these photos. amazing stuff, no doubt!

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    as always ram your pics make me want to get into mountaineering more. I really need to pic this up.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM
    Not tough at all. Not even close. Mountaineering by a landslide. I canyon more than climb simply because the season is longer than in the mountains and I'm over doing too much off season mountaineering any more. The beauty. The effort. The focus. The solitude. The bomb!! Mountains all the way.
    Ram
    Awesome

My list of climbs and canyons could probably fit in the palm of your hand compared to what you have done, but from what I have done I'll agree with you. Mountaineering is my favorite, I get a much larger sense of achievement standing on top. I'm lucky to have had people help me into the sport, as I couldn't have on my own.

Anyways, sweet pics! they give me something to look forward to someday
    better off outdoors

Ah, beautiful! Looks like home - granite, snow, glacial blue lakes, and evergreens. And gnarly roots, and mud, and ice axes and crampons...

It's very interesting to hear your answer on the canyons/mountains, Ram. I love them both, though I don't do much technical mountaineering - more of a scrambler, since I so often go solo. I should probably meet up with friends and get into more technical stuff (I've taken some mountaineering courses, crevasse rescue, etc.) but everyone else is off on the weekends - not me, usually... I'm a member of the BC Mountaineering Club, and need to avail myself of the opportunities more often with them.

So, I know about your canyoneering, and I know about your Cascades trips - do you do a lot of mountaineering back home in Colorado?

Edited to add: I just viewed the 2004 Cascades pics, and there were a couple there that I think burned my eyes pretty badly. Can you say "shrinkage"?

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    Ah, beautiful! Looks like home - granite, snow, glacial blue lakes, and evergreens. And gnarly roots, and mud, and ice axes and crampons...

It's very interesting to hear your answer on the canyons/mountains, Ram. I love them both, though I don't do much technical mountaineering - more of a scrambler, since I so often go solo.

So, I know about your canyoneering, and I know about your Cascades trips - do you do a lot of mountaineering back home in Colorado?

Edited to add: I just viewed the 2004 Cascades pics, and there were a couple there that I think burned my eyes pretty badly. Can you say "shrinkage"?
    :

That's the place!! Toyed with the Coastal range, but passport, border crossings, rental car limitations. Easier staying put in Washington.

Our technical fare is pretty moderate. Its all the logistics and timing that are the challenges up there. Being at the right place, at the right time, rested, in the right weather. Then the 5.7 routes feel like 5.7 routes, with loose rock. ;-) Ha ha! If not, it feels a lot harder.

Colorado, the Wind Rivers and the Sierra get visited too. As more slides get digitalized, these will show up as albums too. Still, probably as much or more Cascade's than the others combined. Three weeks in July 16 out of the last 18 years. Adds up

Burned eyes??? Geez and your from the progressive Great White North, eh?? What are the Utah folks gonna think? Shrinkage? Some of us can afford more than others. Will post that album in the next few days.
    Ram

That's the place!! Toyed with the Coastal range, but passport, border crossings, rental car limitations. Easier staying put in Washington.
    True enough - it's not like you'll run out of things to do in the Cascades!
    Being at the right place, at the right time, rested, in the right weather.
    That weather thing can be the tricky part, for sure!

Burned eyes??? Geez and your from the progressive Great White North, eh?? What are the Utah folks gonna think? Shrinkage? Some of us can afford more than others. Ha Ha
    Aw, I don't really care, but I gotta act like I do. I just wanna fit in with the Utahns when I come down to visit the canyons!