Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chrome OS

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    If any one company had to approve every program in the world
    huh?

Do you understand that Apple approves every program for their systems?
    you talking about the iphone? you used the word 'mac'. the iphone is not a mac.

Microsoft and Linux on the other hand allows any and everyone to write and create programs for their Operating Systems. Almost every medium sized company in the world (and up) use some form of custom software.
    please explain, how is software development on a mac restricted?

Quote Originally Posted by discgo
    Well among other things, I am an "IT Consultant" (that is my actual job title). My job consists of being consulting companies on what to build their infrastructure and then implementing and maintaining that plan. It is literally my job to stay up to date on IT solutions (including different forms of computers) and then maintain my customers networks using those solutions.

I don't know everything but about every OS. But I do support a lot of different computer and a lot of different users with different needs. Almost every company that is a client of my company has some form of custom software (time clocks, heating and air conditioning, firewall, 3rd party application like an insurance quoting program etc.) on which their company depends.

My experience is that Macs are generally only a solid option for web designers or people who are running VMware Fusion (which gives them the functionality they need).
    interesting stuff, to be sure. i am not trying to be rude, discgo, but as you yourself point out, your experience is limited, nonetheless.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Either that, or the Mac problems are VERY small but the users are complete idiots compared to PC users. I'll be nice, and stick with the former. ;)
    There have been so many generalizations stated in this thread. All from people who have very little experience with Macs. Kinda like me talking about owning a Porsche when I have only driven them a few times. Kinda fun making generalizations though, let me make one too. Most of the people that bring computers to you are idiots. It wouldn't matter what kind of computer they had, they would break it One more, Mac users are the popular cool kids and PC users have always been the nerds.

Macs are great for many creative jobs and this is the field that I am in. They are simply setup the best for me and my team. More generalizations (wait I have actually used PC's and Macs for years): The Mac UI is also very friendly to the type of work that creative professionals do. If I was going to do word processing all day then I would choose PC (although many of the UI traits of PC's have a similar setup to Macs now...hmmmm). I also like to be different. I don't buy the same stuff that everyone has...I like unique things. At 15% Macs are different...which is good for me.

Don't forget that it was Microsoft that designed a system where you used the "Start" button to turn off the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    There have been so many generalizations stated in this thread.

Ok so how this for a generalization.
    Went the Apple store and Costco.com and picked out what seemed to be (at a glance) two comparable notebooks.

Apple
    15-inch: 2.53GHz
    4GB Memory
    250GB hard drive
    SD card slot
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
    $1699

or

Win7
    15.6" 2.2GHz
    4GB DDR2-667 dual channel 667MHz memory
    500GB hard drive
    5-in-1 digital multimedia card reader
    $599.99

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    FORD
    Chevy oh.... wrong thred (you computer guys crack me up )
    Life is Good

Like I said Stefan- Say what you want. My review is not a full spectrum but a general spectrum and no offense right back at you but I don't care at all if you don't think I am qualified to have an opinion on the subject.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

FORD
    Scott,

Ford $25,000
    Chevy $75,000

any questions

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    FORD
    Scott,

Ford $25,000
    Chevy $75,000

any questions
    I own a Tundra... but I digress..
    Life is Good

So what about Chrome?

Seriously, Macs are good computers. They're expensive, but if you have a goal in mind that can be accomplished with a Mac, it's a good machine. You won't go wrong.

If you want a general use system to install various things as you come across them, and yes, this includes unsafe software, then Windows is a great system.

With the School District, there can be 100 staff members in a High School. Each of them dabble in something a little different. We just couldn't have this same kind of variety with Mac. Sure, some of them wander off and pick up viruses because they're trying to print a video....

But in the end I feel I'm a better Tech by being exposed to a wider realm of software, options, and yes - even problems that I solve.

Somebody told me this morning they were thinking of buying a Mac. For sake of conversation, I asked why. They said because they don't crash.

He's got a PC desktop and laptop here, and they've yet to crash. So, kudos to Mac for great marketing, because that's what it is. He's never actually experienced a crashed PC, he's just heard things.... and so it goes.

Like I said Stefan- Say what you want. My review is not a full spectrum but a general spectrum and no offense right back at you but I don't care at all if you don't think I am qualified to have an opinion on the subject.
    i simply think you paint really broad strokes and your statements would be more reasonable if you added more words to qualify them. i think being in IT gives you a lot of perspective and experience, clearly more than most. but since you're painting broad strokes, i'm just challenging your opinion. since you didn't explicitly refer to "general use," whatever that means, i simply took your opinion literally and interpreted your statement to mean the full spectrum of use.

anyway, since you're in IT, i assume you have good understand of OS X and the macintosh computer. so i'll address some of what you've written

The iPhone is awesome and ....
    again, let's make it clear that the iphone is not a mac. although os x for the iphone is very much related to os x for the mac, there are key differences. if one is talking about computers, then one is not talking about the iphone. the lines will probably be blurred when apple's tablet comes out with yet another version of OS X.

Macs are the best computers in the world as long as all you want to do is surf the web, or do Mac approved tasks.
    i have no desire to determine what is the best computer for what purpose. i think most people care about a product that they like and works well for their needs, whatever those may be.

Macs are the best computers in the world as long as all you want to do is surf the web, or do Mac approved tasks.
    mac approved tasks? what on earth do you mean. keep in mind this isn't the os x operating system for the iphone.

But can you even imagine how much our entire world would be held back if all programs had to be approved by Windows to work?
    again failing to see your point. software development for OS X is arguably hindered most by small market share.

It is also my understanding that Google plans on following Apple's model of needing to approve applications in order for them to work in their OS.
    again you seem to be blurring the lines between the iphone and OS X for the macintosh computer. apple has multiple families of operating systems. approving applications only applies to OS X for the iphone. i assume you're referring to this.

Say what you want about me or Windows users but I know a lot of people that wouldn't have jobs if they had to wait for their software to be approved to be used.
    again with the approved ... now it would seem to me that here you make a direct comparison to windows and the iphone software. seems kinda apples and oranges to me, no?

How many Mac users really can do everything they need on a Mac?
    i am very satisfied and, since i need to qualify, i do substantially more on a computer than browse the web or upload pictures. the only thing i really want is an internet explorer that runs natively and render webpages exactly as it would on a PC so i can check web design. however, i am sure someone could convince me of something that currently doesn't exist on a mac.

Those who can do everything on a Mac have surely found a perfect fit for themselves but the average person relies on the openness of Windows much more than most even realize.
    this would be an interesting analysis that i would be interested in having a better understanding of.
    as long as all you want to do is surf the web, or do Mac approved tasks.
    Say what you want about me or your Macs, but I would be really surprised if you Mac guys don't know on some level that what I am saying is right.
    personally, i don't know what you're saying is right. i do substantially more with a computer than surf the web, and i don't feel there is much missing that i would have access to if i used a pc, so i disagree with you. i do realize that there is more software available on a PC, so i can see that some may recognize that software on the mac is limited.

If any one company had to approve every program in the world, then either EVERYTHING would cost more money to pay for the army of full time employees which would have to review every program in the world, or you would have a lot less programs.
    again ... not following.

I realize that for some of you guys loving your Macs is close to a religion to you
    eh, for some it might be. i work night and day on a computer and i want something that works for me and that i enjoy working on. personally i like the unix-based approach of os x and between the extensive unix based software, apple software, and software developed for os x, the majority of my needs are very easily satisfied.

I really do think that Apple makes a solid product and for a lot people (who really don't use their computers for much more than emailing and surfing the web or uploading their pictures), the Mac is a great option.
    your words appear to suggest you are trying to say apple likely does NOT make a solid product for people who don't use their computers for more than email and surfing or uploading pictures.

well, that's your opinion, but i'll totally disagree. i think a lot of people would disagree with you. this is one of those points where i think you make way broader strokes than your experience allows you to. perhaps if you qualified better what you're trying to say.

Do you understand that Apple approves every program for their systems?
    no i don't understand this. i do know it's true for the application to run on apple's iphone software, but aside from this i don't understand what you mean.

Microsoft and Linux on the other hand allows any and everyone to write and create programs for their Operating Systems.
    who is not allowed to write software for the mac and why?

You can install Windows on any machine, including making your own. Apple does not allow their OS to be installed on 3rd party systems allowing them to control the hardware their customers use in an attempt to control their customers' experience.
    true and apple will likely fight to the end to keep it true. that's their business model.

whoa

let's simplify it; What program or process can you do on a Mac that can't be done on a PC?

PS, remember not to use your "broad strokes" statements like "doesn't crash" or "viruses" because it's false. I'm monitoring over 300 computers in my building right now, 2 of them had a virus this year. ...that's >1%

Final Cut Pro. Isn't that enough?

let's simplify it; What program or process can you do on a Mac that can't be done on a PC?
    and don't forgot to explain why macs cost twice as much as a PC

They look so cool! More like an artiste would use than an accountant.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    They look so cool! More like an artiste would use than an accountant.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I can't. Because they don't. At least not when comparing identical specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeps
    I can't. Because they don't. At least not when comparing identical specifications.
    Example......

Pass. You show a comparable example, or one that supports your position that a Mac will cost twice as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeps
    Pass. You show a comparable example, or one that supports your position that a Mac will cost twice as much.
    i think he already did...