Thread: North Wash

North Wash

I have never been to the North Wash. If the weather is good three of us are planning on giving it a whirl around the first week of december. Where do I want to go?

Mark

On a totally unrelated matter. Tom could you please quit calling me. I get home today and I have about 6 missed calls from Tom Jones, I'm thinking what does Tom want? We'll it turns out there is a Tom Jones that sells insurance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

lol.

you probably want to go down this weekend, because that's when i can go. call your friends and reschedule.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    lol.

you probably want to go down this weekend, because that's when i can go. call your friends and reschedule.
    I wish I could but have to work. The guys coming are ER docs and changing their schedule is impossible.

But if you could hit it around the 5th will feed you well.
    Oh I am going to bring my trailer that has a ahhhhh heater.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    lol.

I wish I could but have to work. The guys coming are ER docs and changing their schedule is impossible.

But if you could hit it around the 5th will feed you well.
    Oh I am going to bring my trailer that has a ahhhhh heater.
    Mark
    that sounds nice, but... i'll be freezin' my ass off in alaska that week.

so, good canyons...

how skinny are these guys? you'd be a VERY close fit in shenanigans, judging by our experience in cave hall. so i might recommend you skip that one. you could, however, try middle leprechaun. you can go high in there, but it is physical for a guy your size. you probably won't have too many issues, however.

East Lep is kinda the classic "intro to North Wash." Might be a good one to do first, then slide up belfast boulevard from beneath and see how you like skinny.

Butler Forks are good, Monkey Business is fun. Fooling around is longer and slightly more difficult (and wetter.)

I think you'd like all of the poison springs canyons too, Constrychnine, Slideanide, and Arscenic. Constrychnine and Slideanide are my favorite of the group.

Hog 1 is really good, if your boys don't mind a little bit of stemming.

East Lep is kinda the classic "intro to North Wash." Might be a good one to do first, then slide up belfast boulevard from beneath and see how you like skinny.
    What he said.

The first North Wash slot on everyones list should be East Leprechaun. Besides being "the classic" it's a good intro and will give you a basic understanding of what you are in for. West Fork of Blarney combines well with it to make a full day.

My first time in the North Wash, I was taken through West Leprechaun, West Blarney and Boss Hog.

Next trip in, I was solo and did East Blarney, East Leprechaun, and West Shillelagh. (Taking it extra easy, solo.)

I like the idea of:

East Leprechaun and West Blarney
    West Leprechaun or Boss Hog

for a nice weekend's introduction.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    If the posse has never rappelled before, take them to one of the Shillelagh's to start, then to East Lep. If they have, do up the East Lep, then the West Lep - just don't miss the West Lep start and end up in Main Lep like many people do the first time (like me!).

next day, Main Lep. A great canyon, but not a good one to start with, as it can be overwhelming, especially for big people.

I consider Boss Hawg to be a big step up, and Hog 2 even more so (because the start is pretty scary).

Monkey Business and Foolin' Around are good canyons, and have a nice, relaxed pace to them - less intense than Main Lep or the Hogs. Shenanigans has some of those attributes, but the narrowness of the final corridor is intense and requires great respect - and the "up" route is long and too difficult for beginners (ie, it is harder than Hog 1 or 2, and harder than Upper Stair).

Slideanide and Constrychnine are good too, and less intense. And fun. Avoid when muddy, unless it is warm out. Doing the two together makes for a nice day. One by itself is a good 'get-away-day' half-day adventure.

More time - throw in Morroco or Hogwarts for a little on-rope fun with a late arrival, or to start people out rappin'.

(whew! had more to say on the subject than I expected).

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    Slideanide and Constrychnine are good too, and less intense. And fun.
    I consider Arscenic to be the best of the Posion Springs canyons for your typical recreational canyoneer. I think it is the prettiest by far. Slideanide is probably the toughest and longest of the PS canyons.... Constrychnine was my least favorite (big rap, short slot is how I remember it).... The PS stuff is really good IMHO....

Just a different prospective.

East Lep is great. I also highly recommend Morocco for a quick little jaunt. Only 1-3 hrs (3 hrs with a group of 7+, mostly consisting of competent first timers).

I may be headed to the area that same weekend, weather dependent - we dont have a trailer with a heater. If we do make it - Arscenic is on my list, and maybe Hogwarts if I can get some current info on weather or not there is water in the pothole. I really liked Slideanide, so that is one reason I want to hit Arscenic.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space