Thread: Real Life Survivor Man?

Real Life Survivor Man?

I want to find someone in Utah that can take me out down south and show me how to live off the land and how to survive if I had to. Anyone know anyone that does this? I of course am willing to pay. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    A few questions for you:

- Where "down south" did you have in mind?
    - What kind of time frame did you expect to be living off the land?
    - What experience do you have (any Military SERE or Desert Survival)?
    - Have you ever hunted or trapped big or small game?
    - Own any rifles or shotguns?

* I'm not suggesting I'm your person, just helping you out.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

live entirely off the land? i don't think it is legally possible. what would your food sources be? without hunting/trapping/growing food i don't see it happening.

if you want to live off the land, you gotta go somewhere that nature will provide, like the tropics. the desert is probably not that place...

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    live entirely off the land? i don't think it is legally possible. what would your food sources be? without hunting/trapping/growing food i don't see it happening.

if you want to live off the land, you gotta go somewhere that nature will provide, like the tropics. the desert is probably not that place...

YMMV
    lots of Jackrabbits, Coyotes, and some snakes that are not protected can be hunted any time of the year and eaten... mayhap not the best tasting but when it comes to survival? also lots of bugs and a sprinkling of plants if you know what you are looking for. water is the big one but still not that bad :) I don't see why you would want to learn survival techniques for the tropics if you live in a desert, you never know when your skills at staying alive will come in handy be it getting lost or the zombie Apocalypse
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

I would suggest somewhere in the Uintas with good fishing. It depends how isolated you want to be, and what you plan to eat.

You'll run into regulations on fires, things like that. There are a lot of things to consider when living off the land. I think you can be taught how to prepare and what you WOULD do, but like Carpey said, you'd be running into a lot of legal issues.

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee

YMMV
    lots of Jackrabbits, Coyotes, and some snakes that are not protected can be hunted any time of the year and eaten... mayhap not the best tasting but when it comes to survival? also lots of bugs and a sprinkling of plants if you know what you are looking for. water is the big one but still not that bad :) I don't see why you would want to learn survival techniques for the tropics if you live in a desert, you never know when your skills at staying alive will come in handy be it getting lost or the zombie Apocalypse
    I kind of thought he meant living off the land permanently... That's why I suggested going somewhere else. Maybe he just wants a weeklong experience?

Quote Originally Posted by TooeleCherokee

YMMV
    I kind of thought he meant living off the land permanently... That's why I suggested going somewhere else. Maybe he just wants a weeklong experience?
    a month is the same as a week.. in survival terms you need the same things.. after that you are looking at more sustainable living and that can be done in southern Utah without that much hassle (relatively speaking) and the skills are then again just adaptations of the skills you needed for surviving for a week to a month.
    in a survival situation (not counting zombie apocalypse) and you are just trying to survive until you can be found or get back to civilization you should only have to survive at most 2 weeks off the land (Generally you can make it to civilization anywhere in the lower 48 states within that much time at a long sauntering walk from wherever you are).. yes there are many other factors involved :).. I would too much rather survive in a tropical environment but living in Utah and playing where I like to play has kinda swayed me to learning the skills to live off the land here as well it seems livelife has.

anyhow I would start by reading this :)

http://www.humboldt.edu/~hsusnc/FM%2...L%20MANUAL.pdf
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Call Guy Dumas. He's got experience with this sort of thing and I can vouch he's not a nut.

four three five, eight two zero, forty five hundred.

I told him about this thread, tell him Deanpaul suggested you call.

When you say "down south", if you mean the Colorado Plateau than this might be the guys you want to contact:

Ancient Pathways
    http://www.apathways.com

They have a course list and price guide posted on their website.