Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rappel Device

Rappel Device

Just for fun I took this picture of some of the different rappel devices that were at the last Moab Bogleyfest. Just from observation I'd say 90% of the participants were using an ATC (various models) or a Piranha. At least that is the observation associated with the groups I was with. Our Saturday group had 17 canyoneers ranging in skill from god-like to total noob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I was suprised how many atc's there were at the fest. I was going to get one of my atc's out so I could fit in. For entertainment, what device do each of you mighty canyoneers use and why?
    I use a pirana. Seems to work for what I need. I like how easy it is to rig and the different friction settings.

Mark

I use ATC's because I like to use them for belaying as well. You can belay with other devices, but I like the ATC. Mine is labeled #1 in the photo.

ATC, i hate the twists from 8's and piranhas.

Mountain Misanthrope ScoutColorado's Avatar
    ATC guide and ATC XT. Simple, no twist
    Mark,
    I brought a Totem for you to play with on Sunday, but your kids got sick.

Pirana.

It is easy to adjust friction settings on the fly. I never mix my climbing and canyoneering gear.

I use a reverso for climbing, but feel the reverso wouldn't hold up as well canyoneering - especially if it was wet and sandy. Any real life experience anyone?

Bruce

I'm an ATC XP user. Tried a Pirana on my last trip, and it was cool, but I've not had a problem getting enough friction, even on single 8mm, with the ATC. I love the thing. I think it's the name.

Originally used a CMI Mini "8", then went to BD Super "8", then went to ATC, next was ATC XP. Ocassionally use an HB Mini Rack with Brake Bars and Hyper Bars. Have been using the Conterra Scarab for rescue lowers, but would really like to try the Scarab Ti for canyon descents? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, but really simple to load, and add friction on the fly. Check it out!

http://scarabrescue.com/

ATC-XP, I hate the twists from 8's and piranhas. #9 in the picture is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    ATC-XP, I hate the twists from 8's and piranhas. #9 in the picture is mine.
    I use exactly the same, and have for several years

I've seen even experienced people screw up badly with 8's (girth hitch).

Nat

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs

me too

ATC-XP
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin

me too

ATC-XP
    I have been rappeling on a pirana since I started and I am confused on what you guys are talking about? I assume you are talking about twist in double strands? If using an atc, if you needed to lock off for whatever reason how are you doing this? Leg wrap?
    Mark

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    So is it sad that I think I can name all these devices

• 1. black diamond atc guide
      2. petzl huit antibrulure
      3. The Totem made by Rock Exotica
      4. omega pacific SBGII
      5. petzl pirana
      6. petzl reverso
      7. black diamond atc
      8. a figure 8 (not so sure about the make going with Omega know it's not BD super 8)
      9. black diamond atc-xp

Edit: for accuracy

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark

me too

ATC-XP
    I have been rappeling on a pirana since I started and I am confused on what you guys are talking about? I assume you are talking about twist in double strands? If using an atc, if you needed to lock off for whatever reason how are you doing this? Leg wrap?
    Mark
    Yeah an 8 style device twist a rope when double strand. You can untwist it some by putting a biner connect to a cow's tail in between both strands above your 8 style device. You can solve the rope twisting by raping single strand with the rope set to length.

You can lock of a couple ways with a tube style device (atc-xp for example). Leg rap is the easiest. Another is to pinch the rope to the device with your non brake hand. With your brake hand pass a bight through the biner on your belay device and tie off with a mule hitch. For safety it

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    me too ATC-XP
    Mark
    If the rope path is not straight (ie, does not fit on a plane), then pulling the rope through the device under tension will produce a twisting force. The more curvy the path, the stronger the twisting force. Regular Figure 8s are terrible; Pirana is moderately bad; ATC when well controlled produces zero.

The main problem is when ATC users rappel AFTER the Figure 8 users on double strands. ATCs do not tolerate twists well. Rapping single strand reduces these problems significantly.

Me - I prefer a Pirana for two reasons:
    1. It's FASTER!!! Faster to rig up, faster to unrig.
    2. It's more powerful!!! Meaning, it provides many more options especially in rescue situations. Though rarely used, these are important options for ME should the merde hit the escaladorator.

When doing canyons with few and/or short rappels, and with an experienced posse, I use an ATC XP.

I have been rappeling on a pirana since I started and I am confused on what you guys are talking about? I assume you are talking about twist in double strands?
    An 8 type device twists the rope in both single and double strand, if the rappel line is touching the ground. The only way to stop a 8 from twisting the rope is to suspend the rappel line a couple inches above the ground so the twist remove themselves. This can be difficult as you might set the rope just off the ground, but with rope stretch the rappel line ends up on the ground and the rope ends up twisted.

IMHO: The twists are just anther pain in the ass thing to deal with that can cause problems when pulling you ropes. Twists can knot and hang when being pulled through rapids.

One benefit of an tube style devise (ATC) is that it actually straightens your ropes and removes twists and other potential problems.

This is from my own observations..... but.... If you look at the real hardcore canyoneers (guys who do a lot of difficult canyons) I bet you will find well over 75% are using an ATC of some type. And I bet if you look at the novice and recreational family canyoneers you will find about 75% are using an 8 of some type. I'm not saying using one device or the other makes you a pro, just something I've noticed, both have pro's and cons.

I've probably rappelled on everything under the sun at one time or other. I began using a 8, switched to a BD ATC for a couple of years, switched to a Trango B-52 for a couple of years, and finally switched to BD ATC-XP that I've been using since it was first introduced.

And a fun fact: The ATC-XP my wife is now using is actually one of the pre-production prototypes that was given to me by a friend at BD.... It was the first ATC-XP I ever saw and was before you could buy them.... err... something like that.

Anyhoo.... that's my 2 cents....

This is from my own observations..... but.... If you look at the real hardcore canyoneers (guys who do a lot of difficult canyons) I bet you will find well over 75% are using an ATC of some type. And I bet if you look at the novice and recreational family canyoneers you will find about 75% are using an 8 of some type. I'm not saying using one device or the other makes you a pro, just something I've noticed, both have pro's and cons.
    Here is my take on the issue. I use both a Pirana and an ATC XP. I have both hanging on my belay loop often. I go back and forth between the two depending on friction needed, whether it is short or long, wet or dry. For the last rap in Heaps I will use the ATC XP with two biners. For the wet short stuff I like the Pirana --easy on and off with no dropping the device involved. But I really don't care for the regular 8's at all particularly for newbies using skinny ropes.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I use both a Pirana and an ATC XP. I have both hanging on my belay loop
    So that's why you make a cool brass clanking sound when you walk....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card
    I use both a Pirana and an ATC XP. I have both hanging on my belay loop
    So that's why you make a cool brass clanking sound when you walk....

Why did I know you would comment on that statement......
    Life is Good

As Tom mentioned, the twists are (usually) only an issue when the 8 devices mix with ATC devices. Mark, you should have seen the snarls after the 200' rap in Granary. I've also found the twists to add time to some rope pulls, as you don't want those to snag on the pull. Thus, I usually use an ATC type device.

For wet canyons, I sometimes switch to 8's, as they are more tolerant for twists and such (and the rope is usually set on single line and the right distance; as well as the water is flipping it all around so the more tolerant device works well here.)

I highly recommend AGAINST a reverso or reversino. They get worn down quickly and can produce a sharp, knife-like edge. Have taken a dremmel tool to mine many times to reduce the knife edge.

I like the Jaws type devices (ATC XP, ATC Guide, Trango Jaws, etc), especially for beginners as you can pick the high friction side, or the low friction side - depending on circumstances. The jaws devices have more metal too, so they usually last longer. The ATC Guide also has other things you can do with it (auto locking belay, etc.)

YMMV,
    A.J.