Thread: Gear Question - shoes?

Gear Question - shoes?

hello everyone,
    I have a quick gear question about shoes for wet canyons. I have a pair of Keen Newport sandals and love em most of the time, but I do get debris, rocks, and sand in them on some wet hikes. My feet get cold sometimes and if I wear a neoprene sock they sandals can slip off if I do not have them secured tight enough.

I was looking at the Keen Hood River Boots. has anyone used these? I can't quite tell if they are for hiking and climbing in wet conditions or if they are more rafting and kayak shoes. I like the idea of the neoprene upper and a regular sole. http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/ss09/shoes/men/waterfront/hood%20river%20boot/dark%20gull%20grey%20!%20yellow

what do you guys use?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    5.10 Canyoneers.

nothing else even close.

T

Go read these three threads, and than feel free to ask any questions you might have.

La Sportiva - Exum River
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1960

5.10 Canyoneers? Likes, dislikes, advice
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1647

OTB - Over The Beach Boots
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6065

And FWIW.... it's pretty much agreed among experienced canyoneers that any type of sandal totally sucks.

Thank you. I appreciate the info.

I've mostly done canyons in light hikers. North Face brand fell apart pretty quick and I will not buy another pair from them. Merrell lasted a bit longer but still only got one summer (mix of canyons and hiking) out of them. I've used a pair a Salomon light hikers for 2 years and still use them but can't remember the model name right now. I really like those Salomons. They're comfortable, they've held up well and they're quite sticky.
    I did buy a pair of 5-10 Canyoneers earlier this year. Partly because I wanted to be one of the cool kids and partly because Josh (and everyone else) raved about how sticky they are. I like them well enough but to be honest they're not all that much stickier than the salomons (they don't make me into spiderman) and they're not nearly as comfortable or affordable as the salomons.
    Of course, I am one of the cool kids now... right?

In summary: Wear what is comfortable, functional and affordable to you.

Does anyone know if Nike still makes an approach shoe? and if so what do they call it?

The best canyoneering shoe ever was the Nike Rioveros, when they stopped making them I bought 3 pair. The problem is I'm down to my final pair and they are looking pretty ratty.

Re: Gear Question - shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by jb56chevy
    what do you guys use?
    Most of my canyoneering partners (and me) use some variety of 5.10 sticky rubber shoes. They all use pretty much the same footprint which is fantastic for sticking to wet rock.

These are the one's I've seen work well (in no particular order)
    - Camp Four
    - Savant
    - Insight
    - Exum Guide
    - Canyoneer II

5.10's , the Canyoneers..... the only way to go. But alas, bells and whistles and shiny techy boots will lure the unsuspecting away....
    Life is Good

Mountain Misanthrope ScoutColorado's Avatar
    I use LaSportiva Exums. Although they are Ridges instead of River. Almost same shoe, very sticky rubber.
    No argument with Canyoneer 5.10s though - they are the gold standard. I just like the open ankle of the Exums, and I got them dirt cheap.

I use the Exum River. I do want to get a set of Canyoneers, but haven't yet. I'm sure I will one of these days...

I had the Exum Rivers last year, and they got torn up quickly. Upgraded to the 5.10 savants this year, and initially i was very pleased. They are super comfortable, good in water, goo don approaches, etc. Although, now I am realizing they wear out pretty fast too. I hope they last me a while, cause they are comfortable
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

i have had exum rivers now for about 12 canyons and the soles are just about got they don't give me much traction on the sandy slick rock stuff. I love them for aproach shoes and they held up great other than the soles. one strap finaly broke off a coupld of canyons ago.
    IT ALWAYS LOOKS HIGHER FROM THE TOP!!!!

Helpful Hint: No matter what shoe you buy.... they will last much long if you put some armor (shoe goo) on all the threads and seams. I armor all my canyoneering shoes before I ever wear them. I have found this greatly increases the life of the shoe in skinny slots.