Thread: Request: Canyons Around ZNP

Request: Canyons Around ZNP

I'm trying to plan a canyoneering trip for this summer around the Zion NP area. My niece came out last summer and enjoyed going through Yankee Doodle with my wife and me. Next July she'd like to come out and spend several weeks with us hiking similar canyons.

I'd like to find a few in and out of Zion that would be appropriate. My wife and I live in Toquerville and want to do these as day trips.

Basically, we're looking for easier technical canyons close to ZNP-- preferably outside the park so we're not standing in line every night to get permits. I would feel confident taking her through anything one the level of Mystery, but nothing even as challenging as Behunin.

On my list already:
    Yankee Doodle
    Keyhole
    Pine Creek
    Mystery

I'd also like to know if there is anything on Kolob Mesa that's around this level of difficulty.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

go buy Tom's Zion book. it has a whole variety of good stuff from easy to difficult.

possibly boundary or water canyon fit your criteria. though i'd bet that all the best options are in the park.

x3. It's an excellent book, well worth thumbing through frequently.

Also, consider Birch Hollow for your list. Not that difficult (I thought) and outside the park, so no permit. Beautiful place.

Funny, I just noticed that climb-utah.com rates it a 3B II on the public page, but a 3A II on the Circle of Friends page. If you pay for beta, they reduce the water flow for you? Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by cookiecutter
    x4 and a plug for Fat Man's Misery - one of the best hikes around Zion

Misery is great, but they are looking for something easy, I wouldn't think a 9-12 hour canyon is exactly what they had in mind...but then again they have Mystery on their list as well so you may be right?

Quote Originally Posted by nonot
    Misery is great, but they are looking for something easy, I wouldn't think a 9-12 hour canyon is exactly what they had in mind...but then again they have Mystery on their list as well so you may be right?
    Thanks everyone. Great suggestions. I'll take more if you'll send them. I'll look up these canyons in Tom's Book.

As far as Mystery, it might be a long-ish hike but it's pretty straight forward, there is some down-climbing (but nothing more dangerous than Yankee Doodle) and she'll do well on a long hike. I took a friend and his 14 year old down Mystery last summer and we did it in about 8 hours or so. That seems about perfect for a kid that age-- long enough to get them tired, but short and exciting enough to keep complaining at bay.

I've got your suggestions on a list to do before July so I can get ready for her trip to Southern Utah. Again, I'll take some more suggestions if anyone has other canyon ideas.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

Echo should be on your list, just make sure it's after June 30 when the snow has melted out. I think Echo is one of the most underated canyons in Zion for a fun slot.

Echo Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/echo.htm

Subway should also be on your list

Subway
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/subway.htm

Thanks Bogley Community!

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    go buy Tom's Zion book. it has a whole variety of good stuff from easy to difficult.

possibly boundary or water canyon fit your criteria. though i'd bet that all the best options are in the park.
    I love Bogley! Thanks to everyone who responded. This is great information-- definitely a great starting-point for planning this trip. I'm fairly new to Southern Utah and I'm learning a lot about this area. This site has been a great place to get input from a variety of people and I've been happy with what I've learned here. Thanks.

I recently purchased Tom's book. It's great, and I can see why all of you recommend it.
    --
    Matthew

Drop into the visitor center and watch the film so you can get your permits through the express permit system. Makes Zion permits so much easier.

Zion Express Permits

Backcountry permits are available on-line! To obtain on-line permits, you must be a member of our Express Permit Program. To sign up for the program, visit the backcountry desk one time every 3 calendar years and complete a simple 10 minute program. If you are a Zion Express Permits member, make sure you are logged in to your account before you make a transaction (reservation or lottery application), otherwise the transaction will not be recorded under your Zion Express Permits account.

Permits are available up to 3 days before your trip. On-line permits are only available to members of the Zion Express Permits. Visitors who are not a member of the Express Permits must obtain their permits in person. It is not necessary to be a member of the program to obtain on-line reservations or to apply for the on-line lottery.
    https://zionpermits.nps.gov/

You can print your permit at home.
    Mark