Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epic 127 Hours

Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by FOX
    I actually met Aron last weekend at Tom's NW Fest and did a canyon with him. I was surprised to find him a very mellow and extremely humble guy...not what I expected at all. The fact that Danny Boyle is making Aron's story the subject of his next film is pretty cool. Boyle is one of the better director's out there and doesn't make crap films. He's one of my faves anyway. Trainspotting will forever hold a place in my top ten.
    Was it really one of Tom's Fests? I heard from other folks he was having one; but there's no new activity on his Yahoo group:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TomsCa...guid=162758195

Just curious...

Tom, you ditching the Yahoo group and flying under the radar now?
    you didn't get the invite? the 148 other people in attendance sure did...

it wasn't a fest, it was his birthday party, that happened to coincide with a lot of other canyoneers plans. the fests are still on hold for the moment.

but yes, ralston was there, and he is quite an inspiring guy, yet altogether very human guy, if i say so myself. we did shenanigans with him. talented, humble, honest, thoughtful, and very creative in how he maneuvers in those canyons...

i'll be interested in seeing how the film turns out.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs

but yes, ralston was there, and he is quite an inspiring guy, yet altogether very human guy, if i say so myself. we did shenanigans with him. talented, humble, honest, thoughtful, and very creative in how he maneuvers in those canyons...
    Yes, but has he learned how to down climb a ralstone?
    Life is Good

Interesting...back when the news about Aron broke through the media, almost without exception everyone in the canyoneering community labeled him as a dumbass for going into slot canyons alone without telling anyone where he was going. He committed one of the cardinal sins in canyoneering, and many people had ZERO simpathy for him.

Today he is a canyoneering icon, and the naysayers are the minority.

We must live in a very forgiving society...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

rock, i think your extrapolations are extreme.

i can't speak for him, but he doesn't seem to be asking for sympathy. in fact, when talking to him, he never blamed anyone but himself, and he will readily admit that he made many mistakes. the feeling i get is those are mistakes he has definitely learned from.

a canyoneering icon? maybe. regardless, it's a compelling story, and now that it is years later, it might be interesting to hear how he's changed. he did, however, refer to his book as a "snapshot" of aron 6 years ago, but he doesn't seem to believe he is the same person today he was then.

not sure what you call "naysayers," but there are few people in the canyoneering community who would ever agree that what he did was a good idea, yet, the idea of solo adventure is celebrated in almost every other sport.

dumbass, however, is probably a bit strong. aron took a gamble, and lost. however, he wasn't just some outdoor rookie. he had already began soloing all the 14ers in CO, in winter. the guy was more experienced than most of us on this forum. maybe not canyoneering specific, but certainly in solo adventures.

Here is my 2 cents.... It's the media that created the "hero worship" and not Aron. I've emailed with him some and thought he was a nice guy. He was very good about giving me permission to use some of his pictures on Climb-Utah.com. Getting stuck without leaving an itinerary was dumb, Aron will tell you that. But his self rescue took some serious brass huevo's, and that I respect.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    Interesting...back when the news about Aron broke through the media, almost without exception everyone in the canyoneering community labeled him as a dumbass for going into slot canyons alone without telling anyone where he was going
    I am going to call bullshit on this statement. Go back and read the posts on Yahoo Canyons Group right after the accident. As soon as the story broke the

Here are the old threads from the minute the accident was first reported. All the quotes below are from the first day the story hit the AP wire.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/messages/11413

Below are a few of the highlights for those who don't want to wade through the antique Yahoo system.

Iceaxe: I admire Aron Ralston's toughness and resolve. But bottom line is this guy would still have his arm if he had of used a reliable check-in with a route descrition. I think we could all learn from his error.

Matt Smith: While I applaud the courage, bravery and resourcefulness of this hiker, I find it disturbing....

Brian in SLC: What if? What if he didn't have detailed plans? Don't get me wrong, havin' emergency contact folks is a super good idea. But, again, I find harsh criticisem whilst there's blood still in the air, and the feller is recuperating in the hospital, to be in very poor style.

Hank Moon: This was probably a freak accident - one that could happen to anyone, anytime, and in places one might never think to set up a check-in.

Kris Nosak: I do feel for this guy. Just one of those life things. Boulders sit on edges of canyons for thousands of years and fall in the space of a few seconds and Aron happens to be in the path of one. I wish him a good recovery and that his zest for life is not quashed by this tragedy.

Hey could ya'll pass the salt please?.......This crow is a little bland....
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

And I'm include the following just for fun. Most of you never had the opportunity to experience the stylish writings of Joe Wrona. His posts were always some of the most entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wrona
    I've read just about enough crap on this site about Ralston's accident. I am sick and tired of a bunch of posers racing to their computers every time someone farts in a canyon so they can throw their two cents in about how they know so much more than the the unlucky person who had to deal with adversity.

Some of us have had to deal with very serious injuries in the backcountry and have had to make very serious decisions during those accident recoveries. If you have ever been the leader on a backcountry canyoneering trip and have had to handle a complicated evac without help from outsiders, you have some idea of how lonely it can be. If you have ever been injured on a solo trip (or even a trip where your partners have been in the same predicament as you), you have a very real understanding of what it feels like to be responsible for yourself in real time.

The fact of the matter is that each of us has the right on a solo trip to define the risk that we take and it makes my blood just boil to read a bunch of armchair warriors pontificate on this, that and the other with regard to someone's else's misfortune. Funny how the same people who talk about Reuss in mythic terms will wet their pants in their haste to be the first person on the net to rag on an accident victim.

Mallory didn't leave a mommy-note when he went up on Everest; Uemura didn't leave some girly 'check-in' schedule when he went up on Denali in winter. Does anyone bash them for making the decision to take responsibility for their own risks?

Give it a rest. Canyoneering is just hiking. Quit trying to use this website to turn it into something more. There is no canyon in the United States that requires a bolt kit or any of that other crap that everybody sprays about.

Ralston went for a hike and he chose to do it solo; something lots of us do all the time. He has paid a heavy price for the increased risk that he knowingly accepted, but it was his risk to take. GET OFF OF HIS BACK.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    And I'm include the following just for fun. Most of you never had the opportunity to experience the stylish writings of Joe Wrona. His posts were always some of the most entertaining.

I've read just about enough crap on this site about Ralston's accident. I am sick and tired of a bunch of posers racing to their computers every time someone farts in a canyon so they can throw their two cents in about how they know so much more than the the unlucky person who had to deal with adversity.

Some of us have had to deal with very serious injuries in the backcountry and have had to make very serious decisions during those accident recoveries. If you have ever been the leader on a backcountry canyoneering trip and have had to handle a complicated evac without help from outsiders, you have some idea of how lonely it can be. If you have ever been injured on a solo trip (or even a trip where your partners have been in the same predicament as you), you have a very real understanding of what it feels like to be responsible for yourself in real time.

The fact of the matter is that each of us has the right on a solo trip to define the risk that we take and it makes my blood just boil to read a bunch of armchair warriors pontificate on this, that and the other with regard to someone's else's misfortune. Funny how the same people who talk about Reuss in mythic terms will wet their pants in their haste to be the first person on the net to rag on an accident victim.

Mallory didn't leave a mommy-note when he went up on Everest; Uemura didn't leave some girly 'check-in' schedule when he went up on Denali in winter. Does anyone bash them for making the decision to take responsibility for their own risks?

Give it a rest. Canyoneering is just hiking. Quit trying to use this website to turn it into something more. There is no canyon in the United States that requires a bolt kit or any of that other crap that everybody sprays about.

Ralston went for a hike and he chose to do it solo; something lots of us do all the time. He has paid a heavy price for the increased risk that he knowingly accepted, but it was his risk to take. GET OFF OF HIS BACK.
    Damn, that's good. That last paragraph is excellent.

I do a lot of solo hiking, including some technical canyons. I always let my wife know where I'm going, and when she should hear from me. That's my choice. Aron made his, and is living with the consequences; at least he's not whining about it. I think he sounds like a hell of a guy.

I just hope the movie turns out well - I'll probably go see it.

There's no doubt that the film will be cool. Boyle doesn't make crap and personally I'm really interested to see how he portrays this. Apparently he and Aron met in person back in July and via helicopter, flew over Bluejohn and his exit route. Boyle is also planning to be back in Utah before Thanksgiving to physically scout the route with his writer. They shoot in the spring with a fall release.

Solo canyoneering

So this brings up a good point, I know that solo canyoneering is discouraged, however some still do it for a variety of reasons. I have done a few canyons solo and am progressivley doing more techical trips as my experience grows. I would like to know what criteria other canyoneers use when planning a solo trip as well as what gear you bring. For myself I dont do any that require pot hole escape wet or dry. Perhaps a list of canyons to cut you teeth on that have several exits etc.
    Mike

Re: Solo canyoneering

When I was first starting off, I'd only do canyons that I had previously done non-solo. As I progressed, I'd be a little more lax on that if I felt comfortable with the beta or heard from folks I trusted. I always have, and still do, carry more of a bag of tricks on solo trips...

Letting people know your plans isn't always feasible; depending on if your plans are flexible (hitting certain canyons based on time available, water conditions, etc - which sometimes you don't know until you are "out there" and many times "out there" has no cell reception.) However, whenever possible, I try to let folks know my plans when I'm out solo...

Quote Originally Posted by kuper
    So this brings up a good point, I know that solo canyoneering is discouraged, however some still do it for a variety of reasons. I have done a few canyons solo and am progressivley doing more techical trips as my experience grows. I would like to know what criteria other canyoneers use when planning a solo trip as well as what gear you bring. For myself I dont do any that require pot hole escape wet or dry. Perhaps a list of canyons to cut you teeth on that have several exits etc.
    Mike

The canyons I have soloed are mostly in the swell and robber roost I am stll spooked enough that I dont divert from the plan that I leave with friends, if for whatever reason I cannot do the canyon I planned I usually opt for a non- tech hike or somthing. I have had good luck sending okay messaged around the Roost and in the swell with my Spot. I really dont have enough exerience with pothole escapes yet but hopefully this spring I will partner up with someone and get some practice.

Quote Originally Posted by kuper
    The canyons I have soloed are mostly in the swell and robber roost I am stll spooked enough that I dont divert from the plan that I leave with friends, if for whatever reason I cannot do the canyon I planned I usually opt for a non- tech hike or somthing. I have had good luck sending okay messaged around the Roost and in the swell with my Spot. I really dont have enough exerience with pothole escapes yet but hopefully this spring I will partner up with someone and get some practice.
    Always a good thing to know your limits and play it safe. The canyons will be there another day; so make sure you will be too. ;)

Late to the party as usual, but I just finished reading Ralston's book. I would be curious to see the dateline interview that was done 6 months after the accident, but can't seem to find it on the vast interwebz. Can anybody help me out with a link or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe

I guess I'll just call Bullshit on this. If nothing else Ralston needs to be made an example of what NOT to do. Just because someone claims to shoulder the respoinsibility for their actions does not make it true. The FACT of the matter is that when a solo hiker goes missing a SAR team goes looking for them. This puts other people at risk of injury or death. Simply claiming responsibility for your actions does not obsolve you of the responsibility you have to NOT put other people at risk.

If a SAR team member had died rescuing Ralston would his "shouldered responsibility" include paying support to the SAR teams family for the rest of their lives to replace the loss of income? I doubt it, so this so called "claim of taking full responsiblity" is pure bullshit.

I think we should stay firmly on Ralstons back until everyone leaves mommy-notes and girly checkin schedules and carries a SPOT so they can be found quickly and safely.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!