Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epic 127 Hours

Epic 127 Hours

Danny Boyle climbs on mountaineer epic 127 Hours

Slumdog Millionaire director to tackle the tale of Aron Ralston, the trapped climber who amputated his own arm with a pocketknife in 2003

If Hollywood was hoping Danny Boyle's next film would be another jubilant, rags-to-riches fable in the vein of Slumdog Millionaire, then it has another think coming. What it has coming, in fact, is a stark, small-scale survival drama about a lonely mountaineer who cuts off his own forearm.

Boyle has signed up to direct 127 Hours, a film based on the true-life ordeal of mountaineer Aron Ralston. According to Variety, the picture will reunite Boyle with his team on the Oscar-sweeping Slumdog Millionaire. Christian Colson returns as producer, while Simon Beaufoy is in talks to write the script.

Aron Ralston was climbing in Utah's Blue John Canyon in late April 2003 when his arm became trapped beneath a fallen boulder. Pinned against the mountainside for five days, he survived by drinking his own urine and even videotaped a goodbye message for his family. He eventually escaped by hacking off his arm with a blunt knife and a pair of pliers.

Following his ordeal, Ralston appeared on the US talkshow circuit and found a fresh lease of life as a corporate speaker. He later wrote a book about the experience, entitled Between a Rock and a Hard Place.

127 Hours, like Slumdog Millionaire, will be backed by Fox Searchlight. It is due to shoot early next year with a release date set for late 2010.

Slumdog Millionaire opened the London film festival last October. It went on to win eight Oscars at the 2009 Academy Awards and has so far earned $377m (

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

LAME!

Raise your hand if you're sick and tired of hearing about Aron Ralston.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin

I would have to agree with you rock, although I am glad that he survived, I dislike all the hype he has gotten for it. The media has hailed him as a hero and survivalist. What they need to talk about is how lucky he is and how bad it was for him to go out and do what he did. Solo canyoneering is not bad, but the way he did it is, and he paid for it.

Off my soapbox now......
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

Joe Sixpack is still memorized by Ralston. I was just looking at the static's for Climb-Utah last month and the most visited page on the site was

Cheating Death in Bluejohn Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/Roost/bluejohn2.htm

And for comparisons.... Zion Subway was number 2 with less than 1/2 the visits.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Looks like I need to hike Blue John before it becomes disney land crowded.

Anyone want to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonbug
    I dislike all the hype he has gotten for it. The media has hailed him as a hero and survivalist. What they need to talk about is how lucky he is and how bad it was for him to go out and do what he did. Solo canyoneering is not bad, but the way he did it is, and he paid for it.
    Boo to all the Aaron Ralston haters! Like it or not it is a very compelling story. As for the stupid things done, he would be the first one to tell you that he made many many mistakes that should have killed him. Ralston has always taken full responsibility for his actions.

As for all the hype afterward, good for him. He quit his engineering rat-race job before the accident to play in the outdoors full time. With the book sales, lecture circuit and now a movie deal he

Hey James -- you got all them splinters outta your mouth yet?

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner
    Looks like I need to hike Blue John before it becomes disney land crowded.

I was talking with the rangers at the Maze after the Ralston accident. After the accident they told me they were getting something like 100 calls each day from tourists wanting directions to the canyon so they could go vacation there. But after learning the canyon was 50 miles down rough dirt roads not suitable for motor homes, and learning that the nearest town was about 3 hours away, and learning there were no hook ups or improved campgrounds, and learning there were no restaurants or motels nearby, 99.9% of the tourists lost all interest.

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    I dislike all the hype he has gotten for it. The media has hailed him as a hero and survivalist. What they need to talk about is how lucky he is and how bad it was for him to go out and do what he did. Solo canyoneering is not bad, but the way he did it is, and he paid for it.
    Boo to all the Aaron Ralston haters! Like it or not it is a very compelling story. As for the stupid things done, he would be the first one to tell you that he made many many mistakes that should have killed him. Ralston has always taken full responsibility for his actions.

James
    James,
    For the record, I don't hate Ralston, I hate the media that has sensationalized his actions. I have seen him give interviews and have read excerpts from his book and know he lays blame on himself, however the media doesn't seem to focus on that. The focus is on the great survival story and there is no focus on the safety aspects of what happened.

I am in agreement with others that once this movie hits the big screen/DVD that the area is going to see a lot more use and there could potentially be more accidents. I am just saying that I would like to see a documentary focusing on the issues that caused the predicament he was in and the mistakes he made that contributed to the incident being drug out as long as it did forcing him to amputate his arm and rescue himself.

Oh, wait....that wouldn't make a great story to sell. It's all about the $$$.
    Jared Hillhouse
    N.W.O. on Facebook

I don't get it, explain.

James

For the record, I don't hate Ralston.
    I was being sarcastic, I don

[quote=James_B_Wads2000]
    I don
    Jared Hillhouse
    N.W.O. on Facebook

LAME!

I hate hearing about him but found his book to be quite good. I love calling loose rocks in the canyons, Ralston Stones.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I actually met Aron last weekend at Tom's NW Fest and did a canyon with him. I was surprised to find him a very mellow and extremely humble guy...not what I expected at all. The fact that Danny Boyle is making Aron's story the subject of his next film is pretty cool. Boyle is one of the better director's out there and doesn't make crap films. He's one of my faves anyway. Trainspotting will forever hold a place in my top ten.

Quote Originally Posted by FOX
    I actually met Aron last weekend at Tom's NW Fest and did a canyon with him. I was surprised to find him a very mellow and extremely humble guy...not what I expected at all. The fact that Danny Boyle is making Aron's story the subject of his next film is pretty cool. Boyle is one of the better director's out there and doesn't make crap films. He's one of my faves anyway. Trainspotting will forever hold a place in my top ten.
    Was it really one of Tom's Fests? I heard from other folks he was having one; but there's no new activity on his Yahoo group:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TomsCa...guid=162758195

Just curious...

Tom, you ditching the Yahoo group and flying under the radar now?

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc
    LAME!

I hate hearing about him but found his book to be quite good. I love calling loose rocks in the canyons, Ralston Stones.
    ram calls them Ralstones

Quote Originally Posted by AJ
    Was it really one of Tom's Fests? I heard from other folks he was having one; but there's no new activity on his Yahoo group:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TomsCa...guid=162758195

Just curious...

Tom, you ditching the Yahoo group and flying under the radar now?
    It wasn't an "official" Tom's Fest...we just called it that because it felt like one as all of the usual suspects were there. I think it was actually his b-day bash.

Quote Originally Posted by James_B_Wads2000
    I don't get it, explain.

James

Not gonna explain it....it might be construed as a "dirty" joke.

Quote Originally Posted by FOX
    It wasn't an "official" Tom's Fest...we just called it that because it felt like one as all of the usual suspects were there. I think it was actually his b-day bash.

TR?

I'm workin' on it. Chuck has all the pics and video.