Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slickrock Bike Trail @ Moab BogleyFest

Slickrock Bike Trail @ Moab BogleyFest

While everybody was canyoneering, Mark and I did a couple of trails. We started out with Slickrock. This was my 3rd time on it, and it always kicks my butt. But then again, it doesn't take much.

The 4x4 trail Hells Revenge criss crosses the trail a few times.

Attached Images Attached Images          

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Nice.... DAM IT!!!! I am never coming south with out my bike again. This weather and grrrrrrrr.

We only had time to hit part of the Portal Trail, I wanted to check it out. It's usually accessed via Poison Spider, Gold Bar Rim, or even Gemini Bridges.

I'm kinda glad we didn't do all that work just to come down it because it was one hairy messy trail. I just wanted to see what kind of exposure it had to the cliff, but we ran out of time.

We just started from the bottom and pretty much hiked our bikes up as far as we could with the sun going down.

It sucked.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Slickrock outtakes

Sweet pics. I wish I would have the presence of mind to carry my camera with me more often. The wife and I hit up the Slick Rock Trail for the first time (my first at Moab) a couple of weeks ago. I can't wait to get back down there. Maybe next spring.
    Have you ridden the Whole Enchilada. 27 miles of down hill sounds like a blast, but it also sounds like 27 miles. I don't know... I think it might be #1 for my next trip down there.
    Is that a new steed Sombeech? I know, I'm probably way behind the times but I guess I missed the mention of a Klein free ride. Nice bike.

Unless you have very big ones, the portal trail is pretty much a hike with a bike in tow. It does get you down fast though.
    When we jeep poison spider some of our group likes to hike it down, they beat us to the bottom easily everytime.

Mark.

I borrowed Mark's bike, and we traded back and forth a couple of times on the trail. My little Klein never would have made it up and down some of those drops. I would love to do the Whole Enchilada sometime in the summer when the top is open.

I know the Portal is pretty rough, we were just running out of daylight and I wanted to take a quick look at it. 1.5 miles, how bad could it be? Bad.... very bad.

The bottom portion of the Portal trail is the easiest to ride and it has the least amount of cliff exposure. The whole upper portion, with out doubt has the most risk. I rode the slickrock trail once with out a helmet as well.

You lucky dogs!! I have to agree Chere'...NEVER go south in Utah without the bike!
    I can't seem to get sick of Slickrock I don't know how many times I've ridden it really and I love to take exploratory lines when I have the time although the last few times I've only ridden to the loop and back. I want to ride the 'harder' route next time since the only time I rode that way was on a Honda 200R
    ...ya gotta try it on a motorbike sometime...what a BALL!
    One year I took my DH bike on Slickrock and went up to the Moab valley overlook jumping off stuff all over the place...DAMN! I need to get down there again!

Great pics and video thanks for posting. It's been a few years since I have hit the trails in moab, feels about time to do it again.
    Jared Hillhouse
    North Wash Outfitters LLP.
    Twitter: @North_Wash
    N.W.O. on Facebook
    "Great Adventure Buddies Make It Happen"

I have yet to truly ride Slickrock. Had a blast with the kids, Wade and Brian on the practice trail at Bogleyfest in April. And then the only other part of Slickrock I saw was when Wade, Alison's son and I rode out to where the big loop starts. That is it.

I need to go to Moab with out kids at least once!
    Chere'

WHY are you not wearing a helmet??????
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    He probably took it off to get the shot! Camera is on the helmet.
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes
    Yeah, a little foolish at times, but to take certain "glamor shots" we used the same camera, and Mark just held my helmet & camera in hand.

I had my helmet on for the "ride" though.

Man I am jealous, I want to get out and ride down there, but it doesn't look like it will happen untill spring. Great pics and I am glad it was a safe trip!

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes
    Yeah, a little foolish at times, but to take certain "glamor shots" we used the same camera, and Mark just held my helmet & camera in hand.

I had my helmet on for the "ride" though.
    Whew! Glad to hear it - Traumatic head injuries suck (understatement of the month).
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Slickrock outtakes

Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Fail.
    There were quite a few more clips that I left out, I didn't want to make the outtakes video TOO long.

looks like a fun trip..great pics and video....
    go get lost, it is good for the soul