Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bridal veil falls, rappelling?

Blog Entries

bridal veil falls, rappelling?

I know you can iceclimb the falls in the winter, but any suggestions, beta, on rappelling this? I've only seen one picture of a guy rappelling down it - so is it discouraged here or what?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

the difficulty is finding a route to the top of it that isn't too long...

Blog Entries
    hmm...I was looking at Google Earth, and the do-able route looks like its a scramble to the top, up some gully or hill-side, whatever.

are there any anchors up there? or is all natural from there. The waterfall is 607-ft tall and I'm guessing I need 1-300ft rope/pull-cord and probably 50-ft webbing? or are their rap stations along the way.

I have this weekend free and am seeing a few friends in provo and thought this would be a fun adventure to tackle and get some good notes on it.

I have never hiked up it but a few of my friends have... one section is pretty exposed. I would love to hike up there and take photos of the old burnt out building up there.

Someone set up a slack line up there last summer I think... found this video on youtube.

Blog Entries
    thanks for sharing!
    woah, that vid only enhances my anxiety of falling. I've cliffdived at a max of 55+ feet at Echo Reservoir (and its about 1 1/2" sec fall)...scary.

So, judging from this vid, it looks like the Upperfalls section, and looks like all natural anchors to rappel from. although, I wonder if I can use a 200ft rope for the top tier of the waterfall, not a 300-ft rope.
    If I get time to see the building, i'll take some pics and see if I can find the "simpliest" way up there.

Quote Originally Posted by jman
    hmm...I was looking at Google Earth, and the do-able route looks like its a scramble to the top, up some gully or hill-side, whatever.

are there any anchors up there? or is all natural from there. The waterfall is 607-ft tall and I'm guessing I need 1-300ft rope/pull-cord and probably 50-ft webbing? or are their rap stations along the way.

I have this weekend free and am seeing a few friends in provo and thought this would be a fun adventure to tackle and get some good notes on it.
    i don't know the details. the hike that some people do up and around is pretty exposed. i'd say like 5.4 for 30 feet or so, with death potential on the fall...

but that's just what i've heard and looked at from my own experience from trying to find a way to the summit of cascade mountain. it might be easier than that. it would be the easiest way to get to the true summit, if possible. there are a few other smallish waterfalls on that side that may be worth checking out as well.

Blog Entries
    thanks for the info! We will take that into account.

Well, if we can't do it this weekend, the next week for sure.

thanks for the info! We will take that into account.

Well, if we can't do it this weekend, the next week for sure.
    Please post photos. If it is illegal and you get a ticket, please call Actually this has been on my hit list for years. I just haven't done it yet. Yes, it has been done many times before. There appears to be a couple of direct routes but as Carpey said, exposure is obvious from the bottom. The drainage to the east may be the ticket but it looks like a bear to climb, very steep and one possible nasty spot. Every time I drive past, I check it out. One day I will get out of the car and look a little closer. I have been to the base of the falls many, many times and there is a route to the right and maybe the left up to the top from the trial. Let us know. . .
    Life is Good

Hey, I will be there too on Saturday. I saw your thread and joined and wanted to hear how it goes. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    well welcome to the forums blacktide. If you see people with ropes, that's me and my gang so come say hi.

I was looking at more pics, and although wikipedia says the waterfall is 607 feet high, the two cascades don't look like they are 300feet each. So I'm thinking, they measured it from the upper falls down to the river.

Scott, what are you a lawyer? and if anything happens I'll definitely call you. But question since you been there many times, is each section about 300 feet? or what would you guess?

cause i would hate to carry an extra 100feet of rope up the mountain and then not using it.

You may want to consider going up canyon about 1 mile to check out Upper Falls (40.345219,-111.590517). Their or 5 or 6 tiers of falls up there ... pretty sure Jumar has done it.
    Don't be too shocked if you run into ice up there. My wife was trail running at Stewart falls last week and said the ice was starting to form.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    You may want to consider going up canyon about 1 mile to check out Upper Falls (40.345219,-111.590517). Their or 5 or 6 tiers of falls up there ... pretty sure Jumar has done it.
    Don't be too shocked if you run into ice up there. My wife was trail running at Stewart falls last week and said the ice was starting to form.
    actually, he was the one who inspired this. I was looking at his photos on his website and said he wanted to do it...but never did.

pretty sure Jumar has done it.
    I've climbed it with jumar in winter.... Never in summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Bottom pitch of Stairway to Heaven, not Bridalveil Falls.

Bridalveil Falls rarely freezes. My bet is that its been ice climbed maybe less than a handfull of times in over 20 years.

What folks actually climb is to the right of the main falls in the amphitheater (BV left, right, white nightmare).

Upper falls only comes in every few years as well, and, doesn't get climbed much either.

Blog Entries
    that's interesting. I've always see people in the winter climbing stairway, I'm going to stop by this year and check it out.

On a sidenote of iceclimbing - is there any new news since 2007 about the holographic ice tower in ogden?

On a sidenote of iceclimbing - is there any new news since 2007 about the holographic ice tower in ogden?
    Yeah, they need you to fund it...!

Last I heard they were still comin' up short in the dolla department.

-Brian in SLC

Ogden pledges money for ice-climbing tower
    June 25th, 2008 @ 8:34am
    OGDEN, Utah (AP) -- Ogden wants to build an ice-climbing tower, the latest attraction for a city striving to become a high-adventure hub.

The City Council allocated $100,000 toward the $1.6 million project on Tuesday.

Mayor Matthew Godfrey says the city's support will encourage private donors to step forward.

City officials say a foundation they declined to identify has agreed to contribute $400,000 to the tower. Commercial naming rights could bring another $500,000 for the venue.

Jeff Lowe, a renowned ice climber and executive director of Ogden Climbing Parks, would operate the tower.

Information from: Standard-Examiner

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    Bottom pitch of Stairway to Heaven, not Bridalveil Falls.
    I was referring to Upper Falls. http://www.my-mania.com/canyoneering/upperfalls.html
    Obviously its not nearly as big as BV but its really close and could be a plan B if you decide to chicken out

This is the route that was pointed out to me while hiking Lost Creek with a friend who has done been up above BV.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've been wanting to do BV falls too sometime. I have too many hobbies and not enough time! It seems most of my posts lately are "Yeah that's on my to do list".

I've wondered if the falls in Grove Creek Canyon would be worth doing too, or if they're too short and/or low angle.

Blog Entries
    Alright, time to revive a old thread. So I made the committment last year to rappel down this thing but ran out of time...year actually.

But tomorrow, my friends and I (call me crazy since I just got my cast off 3 weeks ago) a will finally do it! We mapped out the route earlier and scramble on the crack is about a 5.4 to 5.5.

I'll post a full TR tomorow and beta with pics and vids.
    If u are in the area come say Hi and maybe Ill show u the scars on my ankle too.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    But tomorrow, my friends and I (call me crazy since I just got my cast off 3 weeks ago) a will finally do it! We mapped out the route earlier and scramble on the crack is about a 5.4 to 5.5.
    Hope the flow isn't too mucho...

Have fun up there and be safe.