Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moab suggestions?

Moab suggestions?

hey, I'm looking for some quick suggestions on trails to ride. One of these times I'd like to hit Porcupine rim, depending on time available.

I'm looking for the singletrack like sovereign, mixed with a little slickrock.

This is for bogleyfest this weekend.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Less technical than sovereign, but the new trails out at Deadhorse are singletrack with some rock riding. Fantastic views too. Go CCW along the rim, when you start to close the loop I would just turn around and hit the rim trail in reverse...better riding and better views. I think the State park fee is 10 bucks...try to load everyone in one car.

Baby steps is kind of like Sovereign too, it's basically an alternate route to Klondike Bluffs. Some singletrack, some slickrock. Maybe a little less tech than Sovereign but more than Dead Horse.

Both of these would probably be a quicker ride than Sovereign.

I would highly recommend doing the section on the Whole Enchilada from Warner campground, down to the top of the "proper" Porcupine rim trail. From there just ride down the 3 mile climb that you usually would have to go up to get to the rim. That is basically all awesome singletrack that is second to none in my opinion. The section is by far my favorite part of the ride.

There's also Fruita if you have time as it's just a little more than an hour from Moab. There is some great singletrack out there.

Amazing singeltrack on Zippity-Do-Dah (Fruita)

Singletrack on Horsethief Bench (Fruita)

Quote Originally Posted by neilether
    I would highly recommend doing the section on the Whole Enchilada from Warner campground, down to the top of the "proper" Porcupine rim trail. From there just ride down the 3 mile climb that you usually would have to go up to get to the rim. That is basically all awesome singletrack that is second to none in my opinion. The section is by far my favorite part of the ride.

There's also Fruita if you have time as it's just a little more than an hour from Moab. There is some great singletrack out there.
    X2 on the recommendation for Fruita. Most excellent singltrack. Good stuff at Rabbit Valley too, if you know where to look.

I hear Moab got some snow a week ago, so I'm not sure the higher elevation stuff like Enchilada would be open. If so, another ok option would be Fisher Mesa singletrack. Bit of a drive though, and the other suggestions are better, in my opinion.

Great pics Neil!

How far away from Moab is Fruita again? Maybe we could drive there friday and hit a trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    How far away from Moab is Fruita again?
    Hmmm, Google maps has it at just under 2 hours. I thought it was less than that......I guess it depends on how fast you drive.

Seems about right, but I always take the river road (128?) because it's a scenic drive.

The Kokopelli loops (horsethief bench, Mary's, rustlers, etc.) is a little closer, it's off the Loma exit so maybe take 10 minutes off the time to Fruita? The 18 road stuff, Joe's Ridge, Zippety, Kessels will take a little longer, it's a few miles north of town.

OK cool. If I do make it to Fruita, I'll probably have time for a 3-4 hour trail. We'll have 1 vehicle so a shuttle won't work.

I'm looking for a trail with some great singletrack like pictured above, and also some scenic, possibly cliffside riding. What's a good trail that fits that description?

OK cool. If I do make it to Fruita, I'll probably have time for a 3-4 hour trail. We'll have 1 vehicle so a shuttle won't work.

I'm looking for a trail with some great singletrack like pictured above, and also some scenic, possibly cliffside riding. What's a good trail that fits that description?
    Here's what I would do. Get off at the Loma exit and drive over the ridge to Rustler's trail head. Ride Rustler's and then go back up the road about 100 yards to Mary's and ride that out to Horsethief. After Horsethief, continue on Mary's to Steve's/Handcuff's. After that, return on Mary's the way you came to your vehicle. Cliffside cruising, at times with exposure and great views constantly. Go here for maps and directions: http://www.gjmountainbiking.com/koko.html

As described plan on about 20 miles of riding. Trim if you have to but don't skip Horsethief.

Typically Mary's is ridden as a loop taking the dirt road back to the main kokopelli trailhead, but I know you're not driving 5 hours to pedal a dirt road

There's been a lot of new singletrack trails built in the last couple of years, I dont know the names of all of them, but I'd recommend calling one of the bike shops for some "different" ideas.

It took us about 2 hours to get to Moab from Fruita this fall.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Great suggestions, thanks. I'd like to head over there, now I'll just convince Mark.

You should ride Amassa back and maybe poison spider just to see the arch. Stay away from Porcupine and the Portal unless your group consist of advanced riders. We always ride out at Bartlett wash. There is endless exploring on the slickrock.

I'd plan on the full day if you decide to head to Fruita and back from Moab for 4 - 5 hours of riding. Another one people tend to overlook is GoldBar from the Gemini Bridges side. Head up the road to Gemini and look for the left turnoff for GoldBar Rim Trail just AFTER the turn off (the visible hill climb) to Gemini. You will need a map. I'd just stop at the information center in the middle of town on Main and get a trailguide AND a good topo map. GoldBar meanders its way up to the rim where you can hook up with Poison Spider or the Portal Trail...neither of which you have to ride...GoldBar is enough of a climb for anyone and FUN to bomb down back to you vehicle.

So you guys are going to come to Moab Bogleyfest, just to head over to Fruita/Loma

Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

How far away from Moab is Fruita again?
    Going the speed limit, it is 80 minutes. I don't speed and that's how long it usually takes me (I used to live in Fruita).

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ
    So you guys are going to come to Moab Bogleyfest, just to head over to Fruita/Loma

Nah, we're not going to have the time. I think if we're going to hit Fruita, we'd just drive straight there and spend the weekend.

Hey, isn't there a shuttle service for Porcupine Rim?

Quote Originally Posted by REDFOX
    You should ride Amassa back and maybe poison spider just to see the arch. Stay away from Porcupine and the Portal unless your group consist of advanced riders. We always ride out at Bartlett wash. There is endless exploring on the slickrock.
    It looks like it might just be Mark and I, so we'll try to hit Porc Rim unless others join.

I might even borrow one of Mark's bikes to hit some of these drops.

How long would you say it takes to ride Porcupine Rim, including the shuttle?

Nah, we're not going to have the time. I think if we're going to hit Fruita, we'd just drive straight there and spend the weekendf
    Hey, isn't there a shuttle service for Porcupine Rim?
    Fruita Bogleyfest 2010?
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Fruita Bogleyfest 2010?
    I like where you're going with this....

How long would you say it takes to ride Porcupine Rim, including the shuttle?
    Aren't your legs the shuttle?

Seriously though, It's probably 2.5-4 hours if you ride from the (old) trailhead at the bathrooms to the road and leave your car at the turnout where the singletrack ends. Could be longer if you spend any time messing around.