Thread: Middle Provo

Middle Provo

With the busy weekend and little time to fish, a short trip to the Middle was in order on Sunday. It was time to check on a spot that I haven't bothered much this year.

On the ride up, I somehow coerced myself to try a really rocky spot at Deer Creek for an hour or so. That didn't amount to anything, so I got back on track.

Like usual, there were tons of people at the bridge and underneath, but not very many upstream. Getting away from the crowd didn't take long and I got into a mess of planter rainbows pretty quickly. Most of them were pretty small, but they were quick to bite.

One of them had much brighter colors than its buddies.

It seems as though a lot of the browns are getting the fall fungus again, as I saw a couple swimming slowly and some big ones half-buried in the weeds.

Every couple of bends, it seemed, a tightly huddled mass of little rainbows awaited me. That was nice, in between the occasional corpses of diseased browns.

There were plenty of healthy browns too. Most weren't interested and spooked after the first pass with my Blue Fox. Two of them grabbed it as soon as it hit the water though.

Wading upstream, the fishing started getting spotty, so I eventually turned around to try and test my luck at the planter holes from the way up. They yielded fewer numbers coming back, but a couple still took the fox. One rainbow was a bit bigger than the rest and saved me some trouble by tail-walking onto the bank for me.

Casting into a mossy flat got me into something pretty big. It fought lazily and drifted right up to my feet after only a few outbursts. Turns out, it had a really nasty case of the funk. It was also foul-hooked near a fin, so it doesn't really count. It was released to drift off and finish dying in a moss bed like it was probably about to do anyway.

Pretty sad. It was a good sized brown pushing 20+ and thick. It felt nice and firm in my hand, it just looked horrible and was acting like it was totally worn out from the start. Too bad.

With the fast action for a couple of hours and three for the table, it was a satisfying afternoon on the river after getting the usual treatment from Deer Creek. The trip home was nice and the cliffs in the canyon were glowing from the golden sunset.

Happy Fishing, Humans.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement