Thread: Stupid Millcreek Yurt

Stupid Millcreek Yurt

Reservations for overnight stay at the Yurt in Millcreek canyon became available this morning at 8:am. They have no online and no walk up reservations. So with reservations only taken by phone you have to call in at 8:am and hope you can get through. It's like trying to win a contest at a radio station. Brad and I dialed non stop for more than an hour! Cody and Josh tried for awhile then had to get back to work. When I finally got through at 9:15 they had 1 night in December and 2 nights in April still available; everything else was booked. The two nights in April were consecutive nights so I booked 'em but they are mid-week (27th & 28th) and the end of the month so I wonder how much snow we'll have for a snowshoe trip. Cody and I can, with notice, usually make a mid-week camp work, but I'm sure Brad won't be able to make a mid-week trip. Josh is hit or miss for mid week stuff.
    I prefer Zion's online lottery for canyon permits over this because I tend to assume that if you had a friend working in the parks office this morning you got your name on the date you wanted.
    AND they raised the price this year: it's 75 bucks a night instead of the 50 it cost last year.

So, here's my questions:

Is anyone interested in staying in the Millcreek yurt on April 27th and 28th? It sleeps 8, has a wood burning stove, could be fun despite the lack of choice of dates? I'm going to plan on Josh and Cody for now so that leaves 5 spots for a mini Bogley get together...

Can anyone recommend a yurt within about 100 miles (give or take, might drive 200 if there's fishing near the yurt) of Salt Lake valley? We're looking for something for January or February.

Anyone else try, or actually succeed in getting reservations into the Millcreek yurt this morning?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

i know there is a yurt system in the tushars, but you might have to ski to get to them. though i imagine they have some that you can snowshoe to.

just found this, if you haven't seen it...

http://www.yurtsofutah.com/

What sort of assurance do we have that there will be no naked shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    What sort of assurance do we have that there will be no naked shenanigans.
    It'll be cold. That's just embarassing.

My wife was told by the attendant at the tool booth that they book these reservations at the Forest Service stand in REI on 33rd. Don't know the reality of it, but said she was told this last spring.

Can anyone recommend a yurt within about 100 miles (give or take, might drive 200 if there's fishing near the yurt) of Salt Lake valley? We're looking for something for January or February.
    In the 1990's when they were new, I stayed in the BRORA yurts before:

http://www.evanstonoutdoors.com/

They are south of Evanston and about 100 miles from SLC. You have to walk to them, but some of them it's not very far at all.

Re: Stupid Millcreek Yurt

Quote Originally Posted by Don

So, here's my questions:

Actually I can.
    off the top of my head, it seems that dates are crap, its run by a school district for kids but there are times that the public can rent it or the cabins.
    The problem is that I can not think of the name!
    I shall call my wife, her grandpa at one time was a teacher and heavy involved with it and she used to stay there a week each year with her entire family, damn! almost had the name! phone call time.

wait wait wait!
    Mill hollow!
    seems they have a website...

First off, the yurt info: can be used all year, but school kids are there during summer moths on weekdays. if you go in winter you are allowed 2 dogs and the fee is 65 a night with a 200 dollar deposit.

Reservations: Make reservations by phone or in person at the Mill Hollow Office. Mill Hollow Office: 501 E. 3900 S. in Salt Lake City. Granite School District: 801.646.4668. For more information: www.granitepeaks.org

Get the PDF at http://www.yurtsofutah.com/yurt-pdf-...MillHollow.pdf

BTW, not far off (walking distance) is a lake (Mill hollow res) that has been closed, but they finished reconstruction last year and filled and stocked it this year.

The website for the school district just gives up 404 errors. Iv been there many times, took in the campsite during off season and walked around with my wife for a tour guide.
    Nice place, and that yurt is only a couple years old and in great shape. There are bears in the area, and numerous nature walks marked out on numbered paths. You can drive to it in the summer, its about 6 or 7 miles walk in the winter.
    Hope this helps.