View Poll Results: Are you getting the H1N1 vaccine?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 18.52%
  • No

22 81.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Half of Utahns don't intend to get H1N1 vaccine

Poll: Half of Utahns don't intend to get H1N1 vaccine

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

No, but I am planning on getting a vaccine against paranoia though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    No, but I am planning on getting a vaccine against paranoia though.
    what are you referring to?

The whole media blown out of proportion "insert your name here".

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Yes required to because I am a Health Care worker. Granted I am not currently working in the lab but I am still on the payroll. And Weber was recently rocked by the death of a fantastic Math professor. She was healthy. Taught class Monday and dead by Wed. Cause of death... bacterial pneumonia with complications from H1N1.

It isn't the virus itself that I fear. It is the fact that it knocks an otherwise very healthy persons immune system down and then they can't fight off a secondary infection like pneumonia. Crazy how something so small you can't see with out a microscope can take ya down in split second.

Sarah my daughter was diagnosed Fri morning with Flu. She had sever headache, fever and achy legs (common in the kids with H1N1 the doc said) No I did not have her tested for H1N1. They treat the regular flu's the same as H1N1. Took her to the doc to rule out strep throat. Glad I did we started her on Tamiflu that day and by Sat she was symptom free.

So if I don't come down with it just from being with her. I will get vaccinated when Weber gets the shots in or I can make it by the clinic.

I do plan on getting it. Doing my part for the herd. The people who can not receive the vaccine (compromised immune system, etc.) rely on the rest of us to keep it to a minimum. I'm not worried about getting or surviving the flu itself. It's all about herd immunity. It works (duh!).

My kids probably had it in mid October (while I was in Utah; my poor wife). They were never tested for it - diagnosis over the phone, got Tamiflu. My wife was fortunate enough to avoid it.

I've had the N1H1 and it kicked my ass..... it took me 2 or 3 months to get back to my A game. I'll be getting the shot.

I haven't got a vaccine in over a decade....why start now
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ
    I haven't got a vaccine in over a decade....why start now
    Other than tetanus shots, I've been vaccine free for (uh, let's see, 2+8, carry the 2...) thirty years.

Starting now because those in the know say it's the right thing to do. There are scare mongers about the vaccine, and there are scare mongers about the flu.

I trust the people who use science.

I'll get the vaccine.

I got vaccinated for the seasonal flu but I don't think I am getting the swine vaccine. Besides, isn't it too late already for that? Some experts seem to think so. Also, I am not going to stand all night in line to get it. Ridiculous. I inquired about it at my regular doctor's office about a week ago and they don't have it. As far as they know, it is only distributed to public clinics.

On a related note, I am sick as a dog with something. I just finished 10 days of antibiotics and my sinuses are still killing me. I do not have a sore throat or too much nasal congestion. I don't know what the hell is going on. If I get swine flu now I am as good as dead prolly.

Now I am off to have a drink of scotch and eat some bread and garlic. Garlic is the best for all illnesses.
    "Always look at the bright side of life"

Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    I tried to get the vaccine and was told I wasn't in a high risk group even though I am the sole caretaker for my mother who is a semi-invalid. I got the regular flu shot but it didn't help. I was in the doc's office yesterday and found out I've got pneumonia and possible swine. He didn't test me for it, but gave me the Tamiflu and a really potent antibiotic that (even with my insurance coverage) cost me $125. It damn well better work. Hopefully it's been caught in time because I spend a week in the hospital with double pneumonia last year.
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    I've had the N1H1 and it kicked my ass..... it took me 2 or 3 months to get back to my A game. I'll be getting the shot.
    Just curious, when did you have this? Must have been pretty bad if it took you 2 - 3 months to feel normal again. Can you get the vaccine once you've had the virus already? It's some bad stuff going around right now. Whatever I've got, I got it from my little nieces and they both had a regular flu vaccine and the swine vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313
    I tried to get the vaccine and was told I wasn't in a high risk group even though I am the sole caretaker for my mother who is a semi-invalid. I got the regular flu shot but it didn't help. I was in the doc's office yesterday and found out I've got pneumonia and possible swine. He didn't test me for it, but gave me the Tamiflu and a really potent antibiotic that (even with my insurance coverage) cost me $125. It damn well better work. Hopefully it's been caught in time because I spend a week in the hospital with double pneumonia last year.
    Get feeling better soon! What are your symptoms?

I called my doc back today to report that I am not feeling any better. I have terrible nasal congestion, my eyes feel as if I didn't sleep for days, and vertigo spells. No fever, no cough, no sore throat. It's weird as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    Get feeling better soon! What are your symptoms?

I called my doc back today to report that I am not feeling any better. I have terrible nasal congestion, my eyes feel as if I didn't sleep for days, and vertigo spells. No fever, no cough, no sore throat. It's weird as hell.
    Thanks. Once my fever broke around 2 am this morning, I felt quite a bit better (it went to 103 yesterday) I have the same thing with my eyes as you are experiencing - feeling like I haven't slept in ages (of course, I really haven't been sleeping much because I can't quit coughing!) but my first symptom came about on Sunday afternoon and was a cough which just got progressively worse. Sounds like you've got more of a really bad sinus infection because whenever I've had one of those, I always got terrible vertigo. I'm not quite sure what' all in the stuff I'm taking, but I almost feel wired right now - as bad as I am feeling, I just can't sit still!

Ask your doctor for a Z-pack antibiotic. That usually does the trick!

I did ten days of Augmentin twice a day and it didn't help :-/

Good luck to us both!

Quote Originally Posted by KapitanSparrow
    I did ten days of Augmentin twice a day and it didn't help :-/

Good luck to us both!
    A Z-pack is 2 the first day and then 1 a day for the next 4 days. Super potent antibiotic which is what it takes sometimes. My doctor gave me something called Levaquin which is supposed to be an "industrial" strength antibiotic! Hope it works and hope you feel better soon too. Sinus infections are just miserable. Get yourself some saline spray called "Ocean" too....helps wash out the passages and is soothing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe
    aint it a bitch?
    3 weeks ago my son came home from school with a cough and complaining of a headache. by that night my wife elt a bit under the weather and I felt great.
    We awoke at 230 am to my six year old being possessed by captain howdy, forcing him to do his imitation of Reagen. I know it was a hell of an imitation as I could hear the barfing from my bed, and when I got up to check on him, he had gotten it everywhere, shower curtain, in teh tub, on the window, the sink and cabinet, every place possible to get it, with out actually getting any in the toilet.
    Fever was 102. Spent a half hour scrubbing down the bathroom and mopping up, back to bed, alarm goes off at 6 am and the wife is feeling like death took hold in the night. By that afternoon I could feel me getting sick, starting with a headache that felt like a tiny, but powerful vacuum was where my brain used to be, sucking my skull in towards the center.
    Worried about strep throat in the youngest he hit the doctor for a throat culture and they took some other tests as well.
    Saturday they called us to say the throat culture was still negative and we had swine flu.

A week went by before anyone started feeling like anything but hell. now 3 weeks later we are starting to feel good for the first time, not just better but actually good.
    The good news is we do not need the shot!
    We now have an immunity to it, at least till it mutates, so about next year.

The big problem with it is that it spreads fast, 36 hours from exposure to sickness, and it really wipes you out.
    I think the media has made it in to far worse than it actually is, but it is not any fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ih8grvty
    By that afternoon I could feel me getting sick, starting with a headache that felt like a tiny, but powerful vacuum was where my brain used to be, sucking my skull in towards the center.
    Yep - that's it! I couldn't have described it any better - just add the cough. Bummer to know that I am going to feel like crap for another couple of weeks. I usually have pretty good recuperative powers - hope it works with this stuff as well. Hope your family is back to 100%!

We feel 'good' but not 100% still get tired pretty fast, no more 8 mile hikes have occurred since this happened. This week has been nice, weather wise, so Id put a leash on the dog and walk my son to school, its about 8/10s of a mile, Im tired and need to sit down when I get home!
    That headache lasted about 4 days, nothing touched it. The last 3 days were fever and cough and feeling like hell, weak, and then when you were not weak, you got up to do something, take the dog out to use the bathroom for example, and nearly had to crawl back to the bedroom because you were so tired. I swore that I would finish fencing the yard during that week, but have not gotten to it yet. Hope ya start feeling better soon, its nothing I ever want to have again.

Just because I found it interesting:
    http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...0.html?cnn=yes