Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Must buy vehicle NOW. Please advise.

  1. #1

    Must buy vehicle NOW. Please advise.

    Okay. Relief! The Honda Pilot sold to a great couple less than 24 hours after listing it on KSL. To be honest, I thought it would take much longer.

    I haven't given much thought or done ANY research toward which vehicle to buy next. I feel like I barely came to terms with selling the Pilot this week.

    Here's my situation. We have a 2002 Honda CRV. 106,000 miles. Really like it. The AWD is great for getting up the Cottonwoods on powder days and *most* places I've tried to go off road. Which may not be saying much. I only used the 4WD on the Pilot once, coming up the hill on the return trip from Tusher Tunnel near Moab.

    I have < $10,000 to buy the next car.

    What are your suggestions about something with 4WD? I'm pretty much one of those Japanese car guys. I've really been averse to the Big Three after a bad experience in the past and then working for them as a consultant recently. I feel my budget would put me in a 4WD with high miles or mechanical liability.

    I'd consider another CRV with AWD. I like the one we have, it's a known entity, and I like sitting a little higher than a sedan. Though I feel a little weird about being "one of those families" that has two of the same car.

    I don't know anything about Subarus, except that they're AWD and there seem to be a lot of them around. I'd probably look at Outbacks over Foresters. I drove a Forester in 1999 and it felt very wagon-y. And I'm not a lesbian. (No offense, Chere... :) ) Luce's Subaru reminds me of a VW Passat. Handles really nice, but lower to the ground than I am used to. Not sure if that equals better gas milage than a CRV?

    The other option is to go conservative and pick up a Civic. My wife will mostly drive the new car, and while the back seat would be crowded for out three kids the gas milage would be sweet. We could use the existing CRV as our "adventure car". Okay, stop laughing. No really. Stop it.

    Any thoughts on these cars? Others? Any tips on where to buy a car? It's been forever since I had to do this exercise, and I've always known exactly what I wanted months and months in advance. Since we handed over the Pilot tonight, I'd like to move fairly quickly.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    If you want a small car-based SUV, the Toyota RAV4 or Subaru Forester are the highest rated ones in most comparison test. They are also very reliable and both get pretty good mileage. The CRV isn't bad and gets pretty good milage, but the V-6 Toyota RAV4 gets better mileage than the 4 cyl CRV, so the RAV4 seems like a better choice.

    If you can afford it, Highlander hybrid is bigger and gets better gas mileage, but it isn't cheap.

    If you want a "real 4wd", I'd go with a Tacoma or 4Runner (I have a Pathfinder, but I don't like the new ones which aren't good off road anyway).

    The Civic is a good car and they run a long time. they hold their value good for a car too. Even though much cheaper, a used Civic actually sells more than a used Callidac or Lincoln after a few years. In the long run, the hybrid version is a very good value too.

  4. #3
    I agree with Scott.


    I don't have too much to add to this thread but I can tell you that Summit has a Montero Sport and he loves it.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

  5. #4
    I am a Toyota lover. I just scanned the 4 Runner page on KSL for a sec and saw this: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&ni...iew&ad=1720004

    There are loads more in your price range. Hell, I am tempted to buy one myself. Especially this one, good deal. Low mileage, but I wouldn't blink at buying one with twice the mileage if I knew it was taken care of.

    However, high NADA says, "$8,825" so you could talk this dealer down...


  6. #5
    Carbon Footprint Donor JP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In Nothing But Sunshine
    Posts
    8,849
    Cummins Turbo Diesel

  7. #6
    1. 4 Runner for larger/taller SUV
    2. Subaru Outback for packing in the kids but still having AWD for the winter
    3. RAV4 kinda the mix between the two
    4. Get the Civic

    Good Luck

  8. #7
    Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    locked, loaded and ready to rock!
    Posts
    2,758
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Cummins Turbo Diesel


    Took mine out on a trail yesterday that was WAY above my pay grade. Pretty scary having a 7500 pound truck with only two wheels on the ground and teeter-tottering near a decent size ditch full of 2-3' boulders.

    But, with that being said, my wife has always been a 4Runner fan. It's been one of the more reliable vehicles in our house hold -- needing far less (virtually none) maintenance than any of my Dodge's, Camaro or Ford E450 chassis motorhome.

    She's driving a 2001 Limited Edition with all the bells and whistles. It's been offroading a few times and is very capable.

    The only thing I don't like about Toyota's is the anti-slip and anti-lock brake functions. The way they're designed on that truck, its actually dangerous.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (3" Lift, 37" Tires, Fox Shocks)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

    The random world and adventures of BruteForce

  9. #8
    Awesome.

    Thanks for all of the insight so far.

    1. I'll checkout the 4 Runners. I have a friend with one, so I know a little of what to expect ride wise. Any ideas of *actual* gas milage? 15 city / 18 highway is what was quoted online...

    2. Fell in love with the Outbacks I was seeing online. Especially the leather in the limiteds, and the 2005's have great write ups about resolving the underpowered/overpowered issues of earlier models. One thing: when I went to look at a dealer yesterday for a test drive the rear seats are super wide, leaving a very narrow "hump" for the middle passenger. We have three kids, two in boosters and the 9 year old sits in the middle. I wonder if the way the back seat is designed if it would be comfortable for rides over an hour long... Any experience with that?

    3. Rav4. Looked at them in 1999 when I bought my first CRV. I'm sure a lot has changed. Time to look again.

    I'm still somewhat inclined to pick up another CRV. Maybe as old as a 1999-2001 so the body would differ from the current one we own. that could knock the price down to $7000ish and we could use the balance to finish all of the projects on the house I've left undone... In the event we ever need to sell THAT quickly...

    4. The Civic may be tight for three kids. I had an 88 Civic Wagon that I bought in 92 with 100,000 miles on it. I put another 180,000 on it through 2002. I had a 92 Civic si that was sweet as well. I need to see a 2006ish in person. Good news is that there are Civics on KSL all day long. Lot's of them. The Accord always felt like they designed it for "old people". Still does. The FIT is also small, but it looks like it uses the space well. Looks a little goofy, but the price is right.

    Narrowing the list down, I'll hit serious pavement tomorrow. Thanks again for all the replies.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeps
    Fell in love with the Outbacks I was seeing online. Especially the leather in the limiteds, and the 2005's have great write ups about resolving the underpowered/overpowered issues of earlier models. One thing: when I went to look at a dealer yesterday for a test drive the rear seats are super wide, leaving a very narrow "hump" for the middle passenger. We have three kids, two in boosters and the 9 year old sits in the middle. I wonder if the way the back seat is designed if it would be comfortable for rides over an hour long... Any experience with that?
    I have loved my outback. The back seat is fine for thin people but not for huge people. When there are 5 of us in my outback, we will have my parents drive (who are not classifiable as "thin") and the other 3 of us can be in the back no problem.

    I currently have 2 car seats in the back of my outback and a 3rd person can fit fine in the 3rd seat still but it is a little snug for adults.

    I didn't recommend the Outback originally because it has AWD instead of 4WD.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

  11. #10
    my Jeep Cherokee is still running great, will hold 5 people with gear, has a 4"lift and Goodyear Wrangler MTR's & will go just about anywhere. 4.0 inline 6cyl. Very hard to beat that
    .....I'd consider selling it to you for your 10K

  12. #11
    I recommend a Honda Pilot....
    Coup de grāce
    noun
    Koo-duh-GRAHSS

    1 : a deathblow administered to end the suffering of one mortally wounded
    2 : a decisive finishing blow, act, or event







  13. #12
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    busting my ass
    Posts
    3,889
    When I traded my bitch of a Durango in I originally lusted after the Outback. I test drove the Outback and for kicks and grins my uncle made me test drive the Forester. He sells Subaru's at Nate Wade. Any how I fell in love with the Forester. It feels so much roomier inside then the Outback. I love my Subie. I will drive it tell the wheels fall off or maybe Spenc will buy it in 3 years and I will get me another Subie.

    My mother liked my car so much she traded her old Subie in for a Forester.

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin
    I recommend a Honda Pilot....
    Me too. And if I can ever rebound my business in the new economy I will be right there.

    I looked into buying a 2003 or 2004 but the miles were too high for the price. My wife is lowering the amount of money we should spend on the car daily. If I don't find something soon she'll limit me to $4500. We're looking at everything right now, and since she's the wise and frugal one she keeps pointing at Civics...

    Quote Originally Posted by greyhair biker
    my Jeep Cherokee is still running great, will hold 5 people with gear, has a 4"lift and Goodyear Wrangler MTR's & will go just about anywhere. 4.0 inline 6cyl. Very hard to beat that
    .....I'd consider selling it to you for your 10K
    Having consulted with Chrysler, Jeep, and Dodge Jeep is the only brand I would go near of the three. I think the gas milage on a 4.0 would be a deterrent for me...

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeps
    Fell in love with the Outbacks I was seeing online. Especially the leather in the limiteds, and the 2005's have great write ups about resolving the underpowered/overpowered issues of earlier models. One thing: when I went to look at a dealer yesterday for a test drive the rear seats are super wide, leaving a very narrow "hump" for the middle passenger. We have three kids, two in boosters and the 9 year old sits in the middle. I wonder if the way the back seat is designed if it would be comfortable for rides over an hour long... Any experience with that?
    I have loved my outback. The back seat is fine for thin people but not for huge people. When there are 5 of us in my outback, we will have my parents drive (who are not classifiable as "thin") and the other 3 of us can be in the back no problem.

    I currently have 2 car seats in the back of my outback and a 3rd person can fit fine in the 3rd seat still but it is a little snug for adults.

    I didn't recommend the Outback originally because it has AWD instead of 4WD.
    Good to know. I'll take the 9 y.o. with me and get her to try it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes
    When I traded my bitch of a Durango in I originally lusted after the Outback. I test drove the Outback and for kicks and grins my uncle made me test drive the Forester. He sells Subaru's at Nate Wade. Any how I fell in love with the Forester. It feels so much roomier inside then the Outback. I love my Subie. I will drive it tell the wheels fall off or maybe Spenc will buy it in 3 years and I will get me another Subie.

    My mother liked my car so much she traded her old Subie in for a Forester.
    I really need to drive one, Chere. I drove a 1999 in 1999. I'm sure they've changed a lot since then.

    I went to Nate Wade on Saturday and had trouble finding anyone to talk with, and the guy they finally pried away to show me a 2005 Outback couldn't even find the keys to open it. And they weren't busy at all. They also have vehicles on the website that weren't on the lot. I can understand that but the guy I spoke with had zero knowledge of them whatsoever. They were awfully light on 2005's, and he kept pushing me toward $20,000 vehicles. Major pisser. If I end up back there I'll look for Spence. Thanks.

  15. #14
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    busting my ass
    Posts
    3,889
    Spenc is my son.

    Talk with John Westover. Make sure you tell him you know me and reference my mother Kathy. I guess he really isn't my uncle he would be more like a 3rd cousin or something. But he knows his Subaru's he has worked for Nate Wade forever.

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes
    Spenc is my son.

    Talk with John Westover. Make sure you tell him you know me and reference my mother Kathy. I guess he really isn't my uncle he would be more like a 3rd cousin or something. But he knows his Subaru's he has worked for Nate Wade forever.
    Ugh. Guess who I talked to on Saturday?

  17. #16
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    busting my ass
    Posts
    3,889
    Are you serious!
    Well sorry.

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes
    Are you serious!
    Well sorry.
    Don't get me wrong. He was a nice enough guy and all, and he knew his Subarus. He just didn't know the ones I saw online existed. And he couldn't grasp that I was looking at 2005 Outbacks for a reason

  19. #18
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    busting my ass
    Posts
    3,889
    No worries... I hate it when sales people won't listen to what you want. I don't blame you for wanting out of the payments.

    If I could go back I probably would have slapped some sense into myself and bought a car with cash. I was tired of mine breaking down all the time. I hated that Durango.

    His loss!

    I am glad he made me drive a Forester. I do really really like my car. It was hard going from the Durango where you are up above most the cars and can see to a smaller car low to the ground. The Outback felt so couped up.

Similar Threads

  1. MuddyCreek San Rafael--ADVISE?
    By FORKAST in forum Backpacking & Camping
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 03:03 PM
  2. find this Utah vehicle
    By Sombeech in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 05:38 PM
  3. Don, I need some advise...
    By greyhair biker in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-24-2009, 07:21 PM
  4. Why would a vehicle have many owners?
    By Wasatch Rebel in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 08:46 PM
  5. Advise about moab area...
    By Mtnman1830 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 09:08 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •