Thread: Canyons in Dinosaur NM

Canyons in Dinosaur NM

I'm headed back to Utah over Thanksgiving, and looking for some slot canyons to hike. I know what's in the Moab area, but the Dinosaur National Monument area is a possibility as well. I'm looking for non-technical and easy technical canyons since we'll be bringing a baby along. Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm looking for non-technical and easy technical canyons since we'll be bringing a baby along. Any suggestions?
    Often, much of Dinosaur NM can be snowed by that time of year. Dinosaur NM is much colder than say Salt Lake City in the late fall through early spring season, especially at night.

If you are taking a baby along and want narrow canyons (not quite slots) then Hog Canyon or Sand Canyon should be a good bet at that time of year (though the road to Sand Canyon might be impassible if there is a recent snowstorm). I would not recommend the real slot canyons that time of year, especially with a baby. Any narrow canyon is quite cold; much colder than in Southern Utah though days can be quite nice in the sunshine.

If camping, bring a warm sleeping bag. Night temperatures that time of year are as cold in Dinosaur than say Alta Utah or up at the ski resorts. Day time temperatures rise quickly after the sun comes out, so days are fine for hiking when the weather is good (and it usually is).

Perhaps the best choice that time of year is Jones Hole. It is wide (and thus warmer) rather than narrow, but it is very scenic and has some nice waterfalls, high cliffs and pictographs.

Thanks Scott. Maybe Dinosaur isn't a good choice right now. It sure looks pretty for a summer trip sometime soon though!

Maybe Dinosaur isn't a good choice right now.
    It is still a pretty good choice; just not for slot canyons and the higher elevations. If you stay down low and in places like Jones Hole or around the Quarry/Split Mountain and don't mind camping in cold nights, then it's a really nice place to visit in late November. I just wouldn't suggest the slot canyons.

It sure looks pretty for a summer trip sometime soon though!
    Summer can be brutally hot. Check out the averages (and temps can get much colder or hotter than the averages).

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ut2173

In January, Dinosaur is typically colder than places like Alta, but on July afternoons, it's closer to places like Moab. Winter temperatures have dropped to -40F and summer temperatures can rise to 110F.

April, May, early June, September, October and sometimes early November (depending on location) are usually the ideal months for hiking.

In summer, Jones Hole is a good one with it's cool pools of water, crystal clear streams, and waterfalls in the side canyons.

Check out Jones Hole if you go in summer:

http://www.summitpost.org/album/2663...june-2006.html

Also, check out the below page on Dinosaur National Monument and also see all the pages that are attached on the left side:

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range...-vicinity.html

It's a great place to visit and explore!