Thread: Second chance: 49ers name Smith starting QB

Second chance: 49ers name Smith starting QB

We'll see how he does. Hopefully the O-line will give him a few seconds to deliver the ball. He better make the most of it, I am sure this could be his last chance. He looked good on Sunday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4596926

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've always been an Alex Smith fan.... I thought he got a raw deal the first time around.... you can't complete passes when you are lying on your back.

Smith to start at QB for 49ers
    John Crumpacker, Chronicle Staff Writer

Monday, October 26, 2009

(10-26) 13:02 PDT Santa Clara -- Alex Smith's exemplary second half Sunday in Houston earned him more playing time. He'll be the 49ers' starting quarterback this Sunday in Indianapolis and probably for the rest of the season if the quality of his play holds up.

Coach Mike Singletary wasted no time in his Monday press conference to name Smith the starter for the Colts game based on the way he played in rallying the 49ers in the second half at Houston.

"Alex Smith will be the quarterback," Singletary said. "We're not going to be flavor of the month with this guy this week, that guy next week. I had to make a decision based on what I feel gives us the best chance to win."

Singletary pulled Shaun Hill at halftime with the 49ers down 21-0. Smith played the entire second half, threw three touchdown passes to tight end Vernon Davis on the way to completing 15 of 22 passes for 206 yards.

"I feel Alex gives us the best chance to win," the coach said. "When I look at Alex, I really didn't know what we were going to get. I was hoping we'd get what we saw in practice, and that's what we got. We're going to go forward with that."

Singletary explained that in naming Hill the starter in training camp, he went with the quarterback he felt gave the team the best chance to win at that time. He is now going with Smith, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 draft, for the same reason.

"Alex Smith really fits the bill right now, in terms of getting things we need to get done. I told Shaun 'You gave us the best chance to win at the time.' ... I think Alex has a chance to regain some of the confidence, not that he ever lost it. It gave him a chance to settle in and watch Shaun Hill. Looking at his decision-making, learning the offense a little more, gave him the chance to develop that hunger, that enthusiasm for playing."

Thus does Smith have that rarest of opportunities for a professional athlete - the chance to re-invent himself with his original team.

"I think he's ready to play," Singletary said. "We're going to find out."

Yeah- raw deal the first time around- especially with the revolving door of coaches. He's got more to work with this time. Good luck Alex!