Thread: Trachyotomy - October 18, 2009

Trachyotomy - October 18, 2009

This canyon kicked it up a notch for me, on my latest Utah canyon trip. Eric and Matt dragged me through this on Sunday - my 7th consecutive day of canyoneering/hiking. I'd like to say it wore me out because I hadn't rested in a while, but it probably would have worn me out anyway...

The canyon was a quick approach (after a long dirt road drive) and had 4 distinct narrows sections. Section 1 and 2 were easy, with some fun downclimbs. Section 3 was where a bit of the business started, as the canyon got pretty narrow, with some stemming involved.

I was bridging a section (the others said I was pretty gutsy bridging that bit, but it didn't feel it - seemed pretty secure to me) when I suddenly had a nasty headache come on. Doesn't happen often, and I can usually feel it coming when it does, but this took me by surprise. I think the exertion and heat exacerbated the situation. I had to stop for a moment then find the nearest possible way down, and rest and drink a bit before I could go on. I was fine for the rest of the canyon.

The 4th narrows were da bidness. There were a couple of nasty, nasty potholes, with the foulest water I've ever smelled - or swam in. This was followed by some stemming through seriously skinny narrows for just a little ways - but it sure seemed to go on forever! Finally, a last downclimb (I took a rap off of Eric) and we were out. A very short slog to the exit, and we were up and out. A bit of a slog along to the rim, and we were at the cars.

A stop in Green River at Ray's (after I got pulled over on I-70 - but got off with a warning) was a perfect cap to the day!

All of my photos are here:
    http://picasaweb.google.ca/cirrus200...tomyOct182009#

Some highlights:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nicely presented, Kevin. This report really sold me on a future visit to Trachyotomy. As for the tiredness-that just demonstrates that you accomplished absolutely everything you could in the constrained time span.