Thread: TR: Birch Hollow, October 16, 2009

TR: Birch Hollow, October 16, 2009

After missing the permit desk on Thursday we were looking for something to do outside of the system. Shaun suggested Birch Hollow, and kept us up that night with stories of fluted rappel after fluted rappel after fluted rappel...

In the morning we helped Kevin strike the camp and got a late start to stage the cars. We left Shaun's at Orderville and Kevin's at the coral, and used mine to an alternate entry to Birch Hollow near the Englestead TH. We left my car some time after 11 am with a few handfuls of Cheddar Ruffles as our eat-and-walk lunch. This approach wasn't too long, and avoided the traditional loose rock first rappel. We hiked down a scree field path marked by cairns to just above the second rappel.

From that first rappel it was a unique (to me) and beautiful canyon. The layered sandstone varies in color and direction. The lighter stone above is checked vertically despite it's horizontal layers, and the deep red layers below are contrasting in color and a more expected horizontal pattern.

The canyon quickly narrows, and then it was drop after drop of the fluted stuff Shaun had promised. Each time I've gone to Zion I find a new canyon that seems to surpass all others I've done. Birch Hollow was that canyon for me.

The raps down were straightforward and unique from each other. We made good time through despite our late start, reaching the top of Orderville around 4. Shaun and Kevin really know their stuff, and it was fun to watch and learn from them. Shaun and I had discussed checking out a nearby wash, but instead opted for yet another fluted marvel at the top of Orderville. Kevin had planned to leave at this point to head to the north wash. This was a short access canyon to the top of Orderville, and from our vantage point we could see where it joined the wash not far below. There were anchors at the top, but no webbing. Shaun set the webbing, with the plan to descend and look for a second anchor, or determine if his 200' rope would reach through the entire set of drops. If not, he would ascend the rope. While he was finishing, a group came from Englestead and watched him start the rap. There wasn't a lower anchor, and he called for me to move the biner block closer to the end of the rope. With the additional rope, he was able to finish the final drop into the wash. He ran the trail back up, taught me how to tie a figure nine, and then another lap on the slot. At the last drop, he had me toss the rope up 25' so the pull from the top would be easier, then we both scrambled out and up to the trail.

I don't recall what time we made it back to his car. 6:30? It was barely dark when I made it back to Springdale. When did the burger place next to the RV Park by ZAC close? I was bummed. Then I drove back to Salt Lake City so I could coach soccer Saturday morning at 8am. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Better photos than Englestead the day before, some of the motion blurs even look intentional. All photos here, some tagged as Englestead even though they are not: http://homepage.mac.com/deanpaulruss...ow_101609%20//

Highlights below:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ahh man, another great TR. Bummed I couldn't hang with you guys a 2nd day. Seeing Shaun again would have been cool too. That canyon is definitely on my list of ones to hit up now, great pics as usual.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

This was a really nice trip - a great canyon with great company!

A few of my photos:

Here are more of my photos on Picasa:
    http://picasaweb.google.ca/cirrus200...wOctober162009

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    What the canyoneering section needs now is more TR and more pictures.

So I'll finally get around to posting my pics from this trip. Thanks Kev for the invite.

Attached are the highlights and the link is all the pics
    http://picasaweb.google.com/trackrun...eat=directlink

Kev DP if I've got a pic you want let me know and I'll send you the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images                

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    Ahh man, another great TR. Bummed I couldn't hang with you guys a 2nd day. Seeing Shaun again would have been cool too. That canyon is definitely on my list of ones to hit up now, great pics as usual.
    Coolio!!

What was the second canyon - last couple of pictures. Looks good! And the Emperor does not know about it...

T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    What was the second canyon - last couple of pictures. Looks good! And the Emperor does not know about it...

T
    it's been right under you nose. bet you walked by the area dozens of times.

Want to trade secret canyon beta?

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner

T

Secret's there are no secrets on bogley. We won't tell anyone.

Nice pics.
    Birch is a really fun canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    thanks and don't wory I'll let it out of the bag soon. Just seeing what the emperor's next move

If it makes it so I can pop out closer to englestead and the water where do I send the check.

Haven't seen many photos of Birch, looks great! Yet another reason to visit Zion again (that's never a bad thing)!

T

Shhhhhhhhh

I'll hook up up with the secret beta. shhhhhhhh

thanks for hooking me up shhhhhhh

Don't tell anyone shhhhhhhhh

it's upper orderville at the head of orderville slot most bypass this on the dirt hill to its left when hiking. all drops can be linked with one 185' rope. bring rope condoms or construct a better anchors in the water course

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    thanks and don't wory I'll let it out of the bag soon. Just seeing what the emperor's next move
    Problem is, I'm a spill the beans kinda guy. Canyons I got and can give, I spill. Pipe Spring Canyon, up near MIA; spilled. Observation Point Canyon; spilled. End of Hidden Canyon - goes like this:

Couple raps from the trail down, into potholes that are waist deep at most, possibly a bit more. There are intermediate anchors, trees and rocks and stuff, but at least one rap is kinda long, let's say almost 200 feet. The last short rap is about 40 feet from a single bolt to a pothole where you usually get wet, and a ledge and a wedged stump. Rig off the wedged stump for the rap which is approx 450 feet to the ground. Try to get a tourist to remove your sling off the obvious tree for the first rap.

On the big rap, move the rope after each rappeller, to change the wear point. The final rap is about 250 feet down an 80-85 degree dirty black wall, then the final 200 feet free. The alcove at the bottom is totally wonderful. Use a stout rope, as it gets worked pretty good. With a largish group, It is possible for one person to wait at the trailhead, to confirm by radio that the big rope is down, then trot up to the first rap and catch up. It is good to have a spotter so the tourists won't report to the bus driver that they just saw someone fall off...

OK, there's my secret canyon beta, where's yours???

T

Very interesting. Would like to know where this is located too.
    Bryan in Las Vegas

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    Coolio!!

T
    I'd say it's just a short "walker" from Birch...............

it's upper orderville at the head of orderville slot most bypass this on the dirt hill to it's left when hiking. all drops can be linked with one 185' rope. bring rope condoms or construct a better anchors in the water course
    did y'all miss this?

That writing was way too small for my old eyes, at least! Anyway, up near the top of the page, Deeps wrote all about it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deeps
    Shaun and I had discussed checking out a nearby wash, but instead opted for yet another fluted marvel at the top of Orderville. Kevin had planned to leave at this point to head to the north wash. This was a short access canyon to the top of Orderville, and from our vantage point we could see where it joined the wash not far below. There were anchors at the top, but no webbing. Shaun set the webbing, with the plan to descend and look for a second anchor, or determine if his 200' rope would reach through the entire set of drops. If not, he would ascend the rope. While he was finishing, a group came from Englestead and watched him start the rap. There wasn't a lower anchor, and he called for me to move the biner block closer to the end of the rope. With the additional rope, he was able to finish the final drop into the wash. He ran the trail back up, taught me how to tie a figure nine, and then another lap on the slot. At the last drop, he had me toss the rope up 25' so the pull from the top would be easier, then we both scrambled out and up to the trail.
    Looking down into the top of the mysterious slot:

Anyway, thanks for the pics and link, Shaun!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    ah yes, got it now. I've walked over to this a couple of times and looked down it. Seems there was bolt's on canyon right.
    Zion Ponderosa uses this as their half day trip I believe and Birch Hollow as the full day.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs
    it's upper orderville at the head of orderville slot most bypass this on the dirt hill to it's left when hiking. all drops can be linked with one 185' rope. bring rope condoms or construct a better anchors in the water course
    did y'all miss this?
    What, you expect me to read? I'm just here to look at the pictures.