Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Post your bike crashes

Post your bike crashes

So I had a pretty good get off on Tuesday morning. I don't crash often and had to really dig to find the last bad one on my MTB. It was when I wheelied over in Park city in 2007 and broke my wrist. In 2013 I broke my thumb in a similar crash going over the bars on my dirt bike after clipping a rock just right going down a hill.

Well it was around 7am on Tuesday and I was heading south on the BST (in the dark), just above Mike Weir drive and almost to where the trail heads down and you cross Mike Weir. The trail is narrow with some ups and downs, but nothing crazy. I'm not sure if I clipped my pedal on something hanging off the side of the trail, like a rock or piece of wood. Either that or my handlebars just grazed a tree.

The next thing I know is I'm going over the bars when my wheel must have turned and I'm thinking that really hurt as I roll down the side of the trail. It knocked the wind out of me and I couldn't breath for a bit. I'm thinking, well this sucks. My shoulder area is in excruciating pain and I'm banged up in other areas. I think my shoulder may have hit a tree/piece of thick brush, whatever it is there. I didn't look around much after, but noticed the tree with bark taken off. I will have to go back up and try to have a look.

When I got back on my bike I rode down Mike Weir drive over to the temple and down coyote on the dirt road back to the EQ. Trying to take the easiest/quickest way back. Thinking this will get me back and I wont have to wait for my wife. It was really painful riding and I knew something was jacked up. It was slow going, riding the brakes

When I got back to my car, I could not get the bike on top to put it on my roof rack. Luckily there was a guy who just pulled up to ride the trail and I asked him to help me, otherwise I would have had to take off a wheel somehow and throw it in the trunk. I could not lift it.

I got home and luckily again my wife had some percocet from my daughters recent surgery. I think that dose saved my life. The pain was a 10 at that point. I thought I either broke my clavicle or dislocated my shoulder.

I went to the ER for an x-ray because my doctor said if it was dislocated they would have to fix it there. Luckily a third time...everything looked ok on the x-ray. I did pass out during the x-ray. I think partially from hunger and pain. They wouldn't give me anything until they figured out what was wrong. I also bruised a few ribs from the handlebar (guessing) as I went over. Some other scrapes and bruises. Just got banged up pretty bad and now sore all over. My clavicle really hurts, shoulder blade and scapula area.

Needless to say it has been very difficult to put a shirt on or use my arm for the last few days. Lots of pain and more percocet. Especially for the first couple nights sleeping in a recliner in lots of pain. It has been getting better very slowly. The motion that I cannot do is lift my arm to turn on a light or even change the station on my car stereo. I certainly can't drive with that arm.

Today my daughter wanted me to get on my bike and follow her on her stryder bike. I was able to ride, but any pressure on my right shoulder created sharp pain in my scapula area. I must have really torn some muscles or ligaments. Who knows. I'm trying to keep using it as much as I can to keep it from freezing up. Hopefully I won't need physical therapy. Getting old sucks!

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...rush-Faceplant

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That sucks about crashing. I had a good high speed crash last October up at the Canyons bike park. I couldn't remember the last time that I had crashed. The older that I get, the bigger I seem to go and the more afraid I am of crashing. I think that I watch these young guys hitting the jumps and I think in my mind that I can be young as well. Glad that you are recovering.

Racing my MTB at the World Senior Games and this is how my downhill run ended.

Left shoulder AC separation.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Racing my MTB at the World Senior Games and this is how my downhill run ended.

Left shoulder AC separation.
    Are you more upset about your shoulder, or your poor front wheel??

Seriously though, healing vibes your way.

I actually would have saved it and not crashed if the front wheel hadn't of folded. When the wheel folded it was all over but for hitting the ground. I was really hauling ass at the time as it happened in the fastest part of the course and I was carrying a lot of speed. I landed literally at the feet of the paramedic crew, I slide to within about 5' of where they were standing and came to a stop in a cactus bush, which allowed me to discover a new use for duct tape. It works wonders a pulling hundreds of cactus needs out of your back. Just tape all over you back and then remove the tape and all the hair on your back plus the cactus needles come out.

Duct tape works great for Stinging Nettle as well! Sorry for your injury! What's recovery time looking like?
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Duct tape works great for Stinging Nettle as well! Sorry for your injury! What's recovery time looking like?
    6 to 8 weeks, I'm seeing an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow so that might change.

Dang. Well at least it was during something manly like mountain biking instead of running ha ha

If you head up to Bountiful to Mountain West Surgical Center, let me know and I'll have my wife take good care of you. Only once. Everybody only gets one time with her.

The good news from this weekend's MTB race is that I did gold medal in the hill climb (time trial).

11. Likes double moo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The good news from this weekend's MTB race is that I did gold medal in the hill climb (time trial).

That ebike is charged up and waiting for you

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    That ebike is charged up and waiting for you
    I don't ride ebikes... I pee standing up :-)