Thread: Heart Attack on Snowbasin Trails

Heart Attack on Snowbasin Trails

A brother of somebody I know passed away right on the trail this last week due to a heart attack right on the trail. I'm not sure which trail it was, but it was up in the Snowbasin area, I assume it's the same trail system we've been riding.

He was @55 years old.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, I guess it could happen to anybody but do you know what condition this guy was in? I've seen guys that look like they're going to keel over (including myself!) but have never actually seen anyone do it. Mtn. biking is a strenuous sport. I actually just went to a cardiologist a couple of weeks ago to have some testing done. I have Marfan Syndrome. With Marfan's, tissue can disconnect. Most worrisome is the aorta disconnecting from the heart so I had that checked out. If the aorta is fine, there isn't much else life-threatening with Marfan's. My aorta is good and the cardiologist said he doesn't see too many hearts in as good a condition as mine. I mentioned that I'm a cyclist and he said that would explain why it looks like it belongs to a 25 year-old (I'm 50)! Go bike!
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    Wow, I guess it could happen to anybody but do you know what condition this guy was in?
    It sounds like he went biking often, but some peoples' definition of "often" is a couple of times a year, so I'm not sure. If he's like his brothers, he's in decent shape, not overweight or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve
    I mentioned that I'm a cyclist and he said that would explain why it looks like it belongs to a 25 year-old (I'm 50)! Go bike!
    Nice. That's gotta feel good. Well good luck with Marfan's. That's kind of a scary thought of the Aorta separating.

my friend said it was at the Art Nord trailhead

sad......but then, maybe that is how I would like to go out
    I used to be concerned about my apathy, but now I don't care anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer
    my friend said it was at the Art Nord trailhead

sad......but then, maybe that is how I would like to go out
    You want to be in a massive amount of pain and die laying in the dirt being in your 50's? doesnt sound like the way I want to go out? Dudes life was just getting rolling.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

It turns out I work with his sister in law.

They just lost 2 of their kids @3 years ago driving back from Lake Powell in a car accident.

This guy was with his 24 year old nephew. Still not sure what section they were on, but it was on a climb on some switchbacks. Might have been the coldwater canyon trail. He just died right there on the spot. He was a regular cyclist, was in great shape.

It wasn't an accident by Hanksville where a trailer w/boat overturned?

Still, a fast death doing something you love is much better than dieing of all age or some cancer. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    It wasn't an accident by Hanksville where a trailer w/boat overturned?
    It might have been, about 3 years ago. I believe the boy and girl were in their late teens, maybe even around 20 ish.

This is so sad. My condolences to the family.