Thread: Labrinth Canyon 10-14 thru 10-18

Labrinth Canyon 10-14 thru 10-18

Wow! Perfect weather, perfect company, perfect time. I think I've fallen in love again! Looking forward to the Colorado River from Potash to just below the confluence next trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images                

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very nice, I like that stretch a lot. Great to do it in a canoe, pain in the ass in a raft :)

Make sure you get the sign post early in the day, last week we were there all the good sites were taken. We got there at 4pm on Saturday.

We didn't see any other rafting groups, just kayakers/canoeists. As we were motoring to our camp, we stopped at a few camps and threw beer at them. Nothing makes friends better than a cold one on the river

Make sure to hike Doll House when you get there.

Are you guys going to hire a shuttle to go back up the river?

very nice

Colonnade Arch is such an awesome place.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Very nice, I like that stretch a lot. Great to do it in a canoe, pain in the ass in a raft :)

Make sure you get the sign post early in the day, last week we were there all the good sites were taken. We got there at 4pm on Saturday.

We didn't see any other rafting groups, just kayakers/canoeists. As we were motoring to our camp, we stopped at a few camps and threw beer at them. Nothing makes friends better than a cold one on the river

Make sure to hike Doll House when you get there.

Are you guys going to hire a shuttle to go back up the river?
    We had a great time. No probs. with campsites along the way. There was a group on the river that had a raft support, and he would always be far behind. The one great thing is that we only had one half day of wind and it was our first day when we put in at Ruby Ranch. The other days on the river were without any wind!

Dave has suggested that we canoe down, have them pick up the canoes and extra gear, then we are looking at maybe pack-rafting Cataract? He has pack-rafted several sections of the Grand, most recently North Bass-Tapeats 2 weeks ago. I was offered the use of an Alpaca Packraft during this Green River trip. Dang....this river stuff is FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca
    Cool stuff Bo!
    First time for me in this part of the state (other than driving through Moab in 1983 at midnight), and WOW! Lots of cool looking things to do! I really would like to ride a mountain bike on the slickrock south-east of town!

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Now I can see a bit better what you are talking about in your quote! Definately take a shuttle! There were a lot of folks riding their bikes up from the river at Mineral Bottom. Thats a grind! Albeit...I think I'd rather ride up than down. I can only imagine losing my brakes on that road!

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    very nice

Colonnade Arch is such an awesome place.
    I didn't know the name of the arch, so we referred to it as 5 hole arch?! We also spotted another arch a bit to the south and west. It was a really cool arch too! It was a really great hike and welcome relief from sitting in the canoe. I had sworn that I wanted to do a Rim hike along the way, and this was definately a highlight of the trip!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bo, you could do most of the stuff in the packraft at this level. Rapids 1-10 are just fun wave trains, but all of them have a sneak around them, so you could completely avoid them.

The Big Drops are a different story. You could scramble around them, but it's not an easy hike. A pack raft most likely will get pwned in the Big Drops. Watch my video on this forum.

After Big Drops there are 4 other big wave trains, but again you could easily sneak them all if desired. So overall it's doable. The bitch will be the row out on Lake Powell. 30 miles of absolutely NO current standing water and wind. In my raft I was going 0.8mph rowing full force with two paddlers on the front. I can usually row steady about 4-4.5 mph. So it was rough. Luckily we had a motor.

And ya, this river stuff is too awesome I sense you got the river fever

Bo, you could do most of the stuff in the packraft at this level. Rapids 1-10 are just fun wave trains, but all of them have a sneak around them, so you could completely avoid them.

The Big Drops are a different story. You could scramble around them, but it's not an easy hike. A pack raft most likely will get pwned in the Big Drops. Watch my video on this forum.
    I will surely watch your video! I've seen a few videos of the Big Drops in high water and they look pretty intimidating!

After Big Drops there are 4 other big wave trains, but again you could easily sneak them all if desired. So overall it's doable. The bitch will be the row out on Lake Powell. 30 miles of absolutely NO current standing water and wind. In my raft I was going 0.8mph rowing full force with two paddlers on the front. I can usually row steady about 4-4.5 mph. So it was rough. Luckily we had a motor.

And ya, this river stuff is too awesome I sense you got the river fever
    I've really had the "River Bug" for a really long time (since my first Grand trip in about 1991) but it's been laying semi-dormant, taking back seat to climbing, canyoneering, hiking, and etc. My friends Dave and Mike have been stimulating much interest with their Alpaca Packraft trip stories in the Grand. I have to admit that my somewhat "Epic" tour down The Narrows (even though I got pummeled) really peaked my "adventure river" desires. These trips offer a taste of a wide variety of pursuits. I may have to rethink my desire to invest in Ice Climbing Gear this winter and maybe focus on some River gear for next spring!

photos

great photos Bo! Looks like you had nice fall colors too... I floated Ruby Ranch to Spanish Bottom this summer and loved it. On the jetboat shuttle back up the Colorado to Potash I kept thinking what a great float that would be - the tamarisk appeared to be less dense than on the Green and the side canyons looked much more accessable...

Thanks for the great photo-trip report!

greg
    bearcanyon.wordpress.com

Speaking of a river bug, I am heading out on my last trip this year to float Colorado from Loma to Cisco for 4 days. Will be sad to store my gear for the winter :(

But it gives me more time to research more river gear over winter!

Green River Documentary 10-13 thru 10-18 2009

I just recieved this Documentary provided by Mike from our river trip, and thought I'd share it. Mike has become a great friend, and quite frankly one of the nicest and most enjoyable persons that I've ever met. I truly look forward to some more great times soon with Mike, Dave and Rocky! What a great memory and storytelling gift you have Mike!! Cheers!

[size=6]Green River Labyrinth Canyon River Float

Mid October 2009

A year ago, I went down on a 5 day/4 night canoe trip down The Green River

Re: Labrinth Canyon 10-14 thru 10-18

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    I think I've fallen in love again!
    If this is what "fallen in love again" is - sign me up!

What a wonderful looking trip. Your pictures combined with Mike's words have given me a enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing!

Re: Labrinth Canyon 10-14 thru 10-18

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck
    I think I've fallen in love again!
    If this is what "fallen in love again" is - sign me up!

What a wonderful looking trip. Your pictures combined with Mike's words have given me a enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks Felicia! It truly was magical, and oooooh so relaxing! Great for body and soul! A group trip would be a blast! Let's try to figure one out!

p.s. roman dial has run all of the big drops in a packraft. all are scoutable and portageable, according to him. he exited at either gypsum or dark canyon. can't remember. with a packraft, you don't do the last 30 miles...

bo, i got some footage of a packraft in westwater, check here later.