Thread: Math problem

Math problem

My friend posted it on Facebook. It's his 4th grader homework math assignment. I've spent a few hours on it and can't conveniently solve the problem. Can any of you tackle it?

What's the next trio in the sequence: 1,3,4 2,5,7 8,9,17 25,30,55 __,__,__

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Damn I tried for a bit and can't get it either. The 2 is the secret I think. So I started there.

2= 3-4+1
    5= 4-2+3
    7= 5-2+4

but then it falls apart. Pretty much every pattern I tried. Sorry bro. beyond me

I also see that every 3rd one you can get by adding the previous 2. 1+3=4, 2+5=7, 8+9=17, 25+30=55
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Yup, that's where I failed as well. I called the guy to verify the problem before I waste anymore time on it.

Thanks for trying

Just so you know it's a sad day for me when I can't figure out a 4th grade math problem, hehe.

I'm not sure but I think that you are over thinking it. I think it can be any three numbers as long as the third number is the sum of the first two.

1+3=4
    2+5=7
    8+9=17
    25+30=55

60,70,130 or 60+70=130

How do you kow the next number is supposed to be 60 and 70 though? it's math so there has to be a single correct answer Right?

I think Last Child is right, since it's a 4th grader problem, I bet they are looking for any random number sequence, just pick the first two numbers and add them!

That is where I think you are over thinking. There does not appear to be any correlation to what the next number or set of numbers is. Just because it is math does not mean that there is only one answer. I think this is one of those "Do you see the similarity here" things. That's why I say it can be ANY set of numbers as long as the first two add up to the third.

In a way it's a trick question with an infinite set of answers.

I could be wrong though. But that is the only correlation between the numbers that I can see.

POS!!! What are they teaching kids nowadays? "Just put in your favorite numbers and add them together, there is no wrong answer"

Now that you mention it and I think more about it, I agree Last Child is right. Good one man!

You'll spend hours on this only to be told there's a typo.

This is the new "sunshine math". My kids would bring problems like this home all the time when they were in grade school...

My first questions are... exactly how was the problem worded.... and are you sure you wrote it down correctly.... ie: are you sure the next ordered trio they are looking for is the 5th trio? When my kids would call me at work looking for answers these are the type of errors they would make over the phone....

There was never any of these problems I couldn't solve, but several were far beyond any 4th grade math I ever had....

This is the answer I like best...