Thread: Fish Lake National Forest

Fish Lake National Forest

Hello everyone :)

In planning next years summer backpack, we all agreed on one thing. Solitude. This is hard to come by these days, and the spot we have decided to go is the Delano Peak area in Southern Utah. Problem is, I am having a very hard time finding information about this area.

We are looking for a 20-60 mile loop, that includes Delano and the surrounding peaks. I have found a little info on the Skyline Trail, but that is it. Can anyone point me toward a guide (I have never bought a hiking guide) that can give me some information about trails in this area? I have located one guide that is cheap, but maybe there are other options....

Anyone have any tips for finding info about this area?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The best part about the really great areas is that there are no published guides.

I grew up in Marsvale so Delano is very familiar to me.

The terrain is generally severe. Meaning there are trails but few and infrequently used.

Loops are non existant, the trails pretty much hold the crest of the range.
    This is the land of Valcanos and multi hundred foot cliffs.

If I wanted to experience this as a 20+ mile hike I would start near the the ghost town of Kimberly in the Tip Top area, use the Pipeline trail to skirt west of Gold mountain, follow the Bullion pasture trail to the east side of Delano and up. There is no trail past Delano but you can hit the ridge tops from there to Mt Holly and connect with Skyline just south of Mt Holly.

If you go to Puffer or Lebaron you will see vehicles.
    You will only cross a few roads on this trek but if you need help the ATVers are frequent on the roads.

If you do this PLEASE take a SPOT. I will warn you that if you get hurt in this area you may very well die before anyone gets to you. The local SAR is under trained and ill equipped to help you. I know of many sotries of 6-8 hour efforts to retrieve someone from a main road, let alone where you are talig about going. Expect a 24 hour rescue even if they get a 911 SPOT message from you.

See the attached pdf for some guideance. Have fun and good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

The best part about the really great areas is that there are no published guides.

I grew up in Marsvale so Delano is very familiar to me.

The terrain is generally severe. Meaning there are trails but few and infrequently used.

Loops are non existant, the trails pretty much hold the crest of the range.
    This is the land of Valcanos and multi hundred foot cliffs.

If I wanted to experience this as a 20+ mile hike I would start near the the ghost town of Kimberly in the Tip Top area, use the Pipeline trail to skirt west of Gold mountain, follow the Bullion pasture trail to the east side of Delano and up. There is no trail past Delano but you can hit the ridge tops from there to Mt Holly and connect with Skyline just south of Mt Holly.

If you go to Puffer or Lebaron you will see vehicles.
    You will only cross a few roads on this trek but if you need help the ATVers are frequent on the roads.

If you do this PLEASE take a SPOT. I will warn you that if you get hurt in this area you may very well die before anyone gets to you. The local SAR is under trained and ill equipped to help you. I know of many sotries of 6-8 hour efforts to retrieve someone from a main road, let alone where you are talig about going. Expect a 24 hour rescue even if they get a 911 SPOT message from you.

See the attached pdf for some guideance. Have fun and good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

Thank you for the response. Your information is very helpful.

One person in our group has been to this area before.

It sounds like my best bet is to just get my nsgs maps and plan a route. Unfortunately the one guy who has been there before never actually plans anything, he just goes with others, therefor is not much help :P

As mentioned, it would be tough to do a long loop in the Tushar Mountains that wouldn

Another question about Tushar's/Fishlake National Forest...any fishable lakes that require a hike? I understand that there are tons of lakes like Kents, Puffer, etc but I am looking for something more backcountry...