Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am very thankful this morning and a bit pissed!!!!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

I am very thankful this morning and a bit pissed!!!!

The kids and I went to St. George this weekend for a five day camping trip. I loaded my little trailer and took off. Coming home was very slow go and very frustrating no matter how I packed that trailer it swayed even if I was crawling along the freeway. I was a nervous wreck!!! I stopped in Cedar City got out looked at the trailer. Tried to decided what I could change. It didn't act like this on the way down. We stopped in Scicipio and repacked everything. All seemed well and the trailer quit swaying... I breathed a little easier. But before Nephi it started swaying again. I felt so stupid for buying this trailer. What buisness do I have running off into the middle of nowhere towing a trailer and trying to be super mom. We left St. George about 1:30 pm and made it home by 9:00 pm.

It was too dark to unload and I was soooo tired. This morning we get up and unload everything. I unhooked the trailer and took the kids to school. When I came back and pulled into the driveway I got a good look at the trailer. The trailer box shifted on the axle!!!!! Brand new axle and tires bought from Big O. WTF!!!!

Seriously! I mean seriously. That could have had some horrible potential I think.

Help me out here. I have to go back to Big O. I am always intimidated when I have to go to the mechanics. This shouldn't have happened right? I don't want to look stupid when I go talk to them. Is it out of my rights to ask for them to fix this and provide a new set of tires with out charge? That created unnecessary wear and tear on the new tires not to mention my car. What would you guys say?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Absolutely their responsibility. Sounds to me like someone didn't tighten some clamps properly. Why do you need to deal with a mechanic, isn't there a manager?

I ran a retail tire place for 17 years and there is no way we wouldn't have taken responsibility. I'm not sure you could have damaged the tires, do they show wear?

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

absolutely. take it in. if they did the work they should make it right. go in there with your story, tears, and cleavage and you are bound to get satisfaction. they obviously didn't torque the bolts down enough.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Big O has some of the best customer service around. They will take care of you.

Here are pics. Yes there is damage to the tire that rubbed the metal bar on the box.

I checked this trailer twice on the way home and it was NOT like this. This happened some time after we left Scicipio.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

They didn't have the world's best mechanics but the local Big-O was always willing to stand behind their products and fix their little blunders while I was doing business with them.

I only quit going there after they quit doing state inspections and a good friend took over the garage at another tire shop that was right down the hill from the house I'd just bought. When you only drive 4000 miles per year, a separate trip for a state inspection is a PITA.

They should fix the box shifting for free and at least promise to replace the tires if they end up worn out long before the UTQG mileage rating has been reached. I'd take a half dozen pictures and keep them with the receipt to be safe though.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

That tire is officially a safety hazard and they should replace it free of charge. I'd make a bit of a scene but if they insisted on a prorated charge for the other, I'd probably pony up the extra few bucks and replace it too. Do you have a spare wheel for the trailer? If not, you could always throw the other tire on a replacement rim before the next trip.

Drop by the courts on your way in and pick up the form for Small Claims on your way in. Make sure they can't help but notice it paper clipped to your receipt.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

We're glad you made it home OK. I can imagine what a stressful nightmare that would be to constantly monitor your load. (been there)

Just a question, you bought the tires and axle from Big O, but did they assemble it for you, or did you put it together?

They're definitely responsible if they put it together, and shouldn't give you any hassle at all. Even if you put it together, I think they'll be glad to help you out and show you what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech
    Just a question, you bought the tires and axle from Big O, but did they assemble it for you, or did you put it together?
    They did it. I wouldn't have a clue how to put an axle on anything. But, I can change a flat by myself.

Re: I am very thankful this morning and a bit pissed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes
    I felt so stupid for buying this trailer. What buisness do I have running off into the middle of nowhere towing a trailer and trying to be super mom.
    No guts, no glory. Don't feel stupid. The mechanic screwed up, not you. You took your kids on an epic adventure and you got back safe. You are super mom!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Judging from this photo, it looks like the axle has no spring perches welded to it. In order to be safe, there absolutely should be spring perches welded to the axle which line up with a pin or bolt on the leaf springs and which keep the axle from sliding back and forth under the trailer. I'd say it was a big screw-up by Big-O (anyone in their business should know how to properly install an axle like that), so go get 'em.
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by Udink
    [
    Judging from this photo, it looks like the axle has no spring perches welded to it. In order to be safe, there absolutely should be spring perches welded to the axle which line up with a pin or bolt on the leaf springs and which keep the axle from sliding back and forth under the trailer. I'd say it was a big screw-up by Big-O (anyone in their business should know how to properly install an axle like that), so go get 'em.
    I noticed that as well, the axle must have spring perches installed/welded. It doesn't matter how tight the u-bolts are, with no perches the thing is going to move.

Re: I am very thankful this morning and a bit pissed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket
    I felt so stupid for buying this trailer. What buisness do I have running off into the middle of nowhere towing a trailer and trying to be super mom.
    No guts, no glory. Don't feel stupid. The mechanic screwed up, not you. You took your kids on an epic adventure and you got back safe. You are super mom!
    X2!

You've got every business running off towing a trailer, and totally being super mom! Why the hell not!?!

Sounds like a helluva deal! Glad you made it back. FYI. Trailers usually sway like that when they have too much weight in the rear. If you move most of the heavy items to the front of the trailer it should not sway and if it does you have bigger problems. Also, if it was swaying that much I am sure it had a factor in those bolts coming loose, but don't tell Big O that.

I do know they need to have the weight packed at the front. I did this going down and everything was fine. And I did this as we prepared to leave camp. I know the bikes are on the back end that is how Brian put them on. My dad is going to help me move them up. I need a bigger drill bit then what I currently have to make the holes big enough for the thing-a-ma-jig to go in. We didn't have time to fix that this trip.

Like I said I stopped in Scicipio and re-packed. Which consisted of dumping all water (which I was using to weigh the front of the trailer down). Making those containers lighter and moving them to the back of the trailer and pulling the rest of the load forward.

My theory is that what ever broke. Broke on the dirt road out to Gooseberry it is very bumpy. I didn't go over 15 miles and hour with that trailer attached to the car. I took it very slow especially over any extra bumpy spots. The trailer towed fine all the way down. I had issues after on the way back.

I felt so stupid for buying this trailer. What buisness do I have running off into the middle of nowhere towing a trailer and trying to be super mom
    You have all the business in the world. You made the right choices by slowing down, checking / redistributing the load, etc. I was coming back from Kodachrome basin area Sunday also pulling a trailer and I know for a fact the wind wasn't helping your stability either. I pull some type of trailer nearly every day and I wasn't enjoying that wind AT ALL!

It sucks that the ordeal wasn't of your making. The trailer should definitely have perches on the axle. That said I disagree with theatrics. Get the manager, calmly explain the problem, and see where he / she wants to take it. If you start hearing trailers under a certain GVW don't need perches that is pure BS. I believe Big-O's are franchises, the next step would be contacting corporate HQ. That'll get some attention.

Go Super Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by RocknDirt
    I felt so stupid for buying this trailer. What buisness do I have running off into the middle of nowhere towing a trailer and trying to be super mom
    You have all the business in the world. You made the right choices by slowing down, checking / redistributing the load, etc. I was coming back from Kodachrome basin area Sunday also pulling a trailer and I know for a fact the wind wasn't helping your stability either. I pull some type of trailer nearly every day and I wasn't enjoying that wind AT ALL!

It sucks that the ordeal wasn't of your making. The trailer should definitely have perches on the axle. That said I disagree with theatrics. Get the manager, calmly explain the problem, and see where he / she wants to take it. If you start hearing trailers under a certain GVW don't need perches that is pure BS. I believe Big-O's are franchises, the next step would be contacting corporate HQ. That'll get some attention.

Go Super Mom!
    Agreed, go get em. Your right, that road up to gooseberry sure didn't help. That sucka can be rough, especially coming from the Springdale side.

I know a few people on here are telling you to go in and hardline them with Small claims court papers and such but honestly just go in.. Have them Look at it and ask what they are willing to do to correct the problem also ask why they didn't weld on the spring perches so that it couldn't slide around like this?

10 to 1 says they say they will fix the axle without a problem, the tire that rubbed they will most likely take care of as well. the other tire I can see them not wanting to do anything about as most likely there is nothing wrong with it.

If they balk about fixing it point out that their failure to do the work correctly (weld on the spring perches) put your children at risk and is that the kind of publicity they want? if still no then go hardball but go in nice first. I know that when I have been in that managers situation if someone came in yelling and screaming and threatening right off the bat I was less likely to do anything for them that I didn't have to. but on the other hand the calm polite people that gave me a chance to do the right thing I did. :)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

^^^

What he said. Go in there calm and say "Hey, I think there's a problem with my trailer, it's sliding all around and it's very unsteady".

Most likely they'll look at it and say "Oh crap, so and so didn't weld this on... sorry, we'll do that right now and we'll replace the tire we ruined."

Oh I would never walk into a store and be confrontational. I was hoping to get some technical terms such as U-bolt and spring perches from you guys before approaching Big-O. I needed to know why on earth this box shifted on the axle.

If I walk in there and say "We have an issue that needs to be fixed it is my understanding that if you use spring perches with this axle this would not happen. Why weren't they used when the axle was replaced? And what are you going to do to fix this?" That is going to go over a whole lot better than "WTF are you trying to kill me and my children!!!"

I was very upset Monday morning but have since calmed down and will approach this with a level head as I do most things. You don't mess with mama bear and her cubs! It makes for a very bad day. If I don't get the appropriate response from Big-O my brother-in-law knows several of the guys that work in that shop. They don't know I am his sister-in-law, but I will get him to go back with me and see if his influence would help. I don't think I will need that. I have been a loyal customer of Big-O for sometime. I guess I also wanted to make sure it wasn't something I did wrong.

So one more question. This may seem silly. Am I ok to tow it back to Big-O? The shop isn't far maybe 5 miles. I know I towed this thing from who knows where when it shifted (somewhere after Scicipio) but had I known it was like this, I wouldn't have gone an inch further. Should I take pictures to them and ask if they would come get it from my house?