Thread: The Subway 10/04/09

The Subway 10/04/09

After an extended work week, hiking was on my radar for sunday. Long time friends from Big Sky Mt. had come into The Rat and made their presence known ealier in the week along with another retired couple. They had spent couple weeks hiking at Great Basin, Cedar Breaks, and Snow Canyon before heading to Zion. I was anxious to get out and do some hiking with them since I had known them for maybe 15 years and never once had an opportunity to spend some quality time with them. I thought that The Subway might be a real treat for those "Northerners" as they sampled their "Desert" innagural trip. Weather according to NOAA was calling for 20% chance of precip. with highs at 56 deg. in Springdale. I know that they had no reservations about undertaking such an adventure (lots of BC Skiing, and hiking in The Winds, Tetons, and Glacier) had them tempered for a chilly jaunt into the Left Fork of North Creek. I wasn't quite so charged as they (fairweather hiker am I) so I had come up with a plan "B". Down to the Powell Plaque, Labyrinth Falls and back. Wellllll....we met at 8AM in Virgin at the KT Road turnoff and the radiance in these 60 and 70 Y.O.'s eyes showed me nothing more than 4 big kids excitement waiting for the Candy Store to open! "OK....suck it up Bo, and lets give these kids a treat"! Along for some joy was my climbing buddy Lyle and my wifes and my adopted kids Pamela and Eric down from The Flathead River, Mt. Lud stated that he didn't need no stinkin wetsuit, but his wife, and the 70 Y.O. couple came prepared. (I had brought 2 extra wetsuits) When we got to the Wildcat TH and the wind was howlin' and it felt like 32 deg. outside, I was able to get takers for my extra wetsuits. Imagine that? Anyhow...it was a windy, sand blowin' in the eyes kind of approach. We ran into a few other hardy folks from Washington DC and others from SLC area that weren't going to miss out on their permits. Once down into Russell Gulch/ LF, the wind had normalized to just periodic gusts swirling from downcanyon. We got to the first swim and wetsuits came on reluctantly by a few (others welcomed the extra insulation). The first plunge had everyone thankful for those burdensome, bulky pieces of attire. I had always thought that cool outside temps. would make the water feel warmer? Nope! We laughed and played as we passed one group, and were passed by 3 other groups. One of the groups was 4 women and one fellow from Scotland. No wetsuits! 4 of them were in a somewhat hypothermic state and really wanting to be done with the swimming, but one particularly robust gal in now see-thru attire was just having the time of her life! They were all a joy! The 4 japonese from D.C. whom I believe had never ventured much from the city were getting the hang of it and made it out safely :-) Anyway...I believe that this has got to be one of the most enjoyable hikes I've ever had. Great friends (now I've just got to head up to The Winds so they can show me their playground), awesome fun groups leepfrogging, and in time to grab "A Murder Burger" at Oscars. Now it's back to "Reality" and another super work week at "The Rat"!

PS: Lud, Annette, Yvonne and Gary....hope you guys have a great couple weeks or so hiking the North Rim at GC starting tomorrow! See you sometime at the end of the month on your way home! Thanks Pamela and Eric. Happy job hunting! Lets get in a night climb or 2 this week Lyle!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Dang - that sounds cold! It also sounds like you had a very nice time.

Have the leaves changed colours?

Bogley BigShot
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia
    Dang - that sounds cold! It also sounds like you had a very nice time.

Have the leaves changed colours?

It really wasn't too cold. The hike from the vehics. at Wildcat TH down into Russell/Left Fork was pretty chilly because of the strong wind blowing against us, but once in the canyon, the ridge (South Guardian) windshadowed and made for semi-calm airflow in the Subway.

The leaves definately are showing colours. Another week or so should be prime! I remember doing low elevation recon/search for 5 hours or so a couple years back about this same time as we flew over Left Fork-Right Fork-Wildcat Canyon-Great West Canyon trying to locate a lost Senior Games Solo Hiker. The leaves were just about at their peak. I would think that timing is about the same?

Cheers Felicia!
    Bo

PS: Hope you are all healed up and ready to get up here to enjoy the canyons and all their glory!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya
    Nice!
    Thanks Tanya! Hope you can join on one of the next adventures? Next week I leave tuesday for Moab. We put in our canoes at Ruby Ranch on wednesday and spend the next 5 days floating the Green River down to Mineral Bottom. Hoping the wind is at our backs? (Not likely ) Should have some nice hikes and pictures to share when we return? The folks I'm going with just got off the Grand. They spent a week packrafting. Got to get me one of those Alpaca Packrafts. They floated/hiked over 50 miles of the Grand. Ran into some river trips that were cordial enough to ferry them thru some of the bigger rapids and even share campsites and great river cuisine! One of them is a guide that I've done 2 Grand trips with and he lives in Green River. We'll spend an evening at the Bar with him and his wife on Tuesday. He puts on the Green 2 days after we do and he'll probably catch up with us? Yummy...more river cuisine and river stories!

Cool story Bo! that really made me smile. I hope someday when I approach my 60's and 70's that I'm still able to go on epic adventures and have the "radiance" in my smile that you described. Not that is living! Woohoo!
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

sounds cold

Hmmm, sounds like I better get ready to freeze in November. It'll be my first time down the Subway. Lookin' forward to it.