Thread: Escalante / Grand Staircase area

Escalante / Grand Staircase area

So, looks like we'll be heading down to the Kodachrome Basin area this Thursday. I've been looking around for camping areas, preferably "dispersed" camping. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been leaning toward hunting for something on Cottonwood Canyon Rd., South of Kodachrome. We'll be in a full size pick-up, pulling a 23' trailer. Suggestions, please!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kodachrome is a great place to camp. There used to be some nice places by Grosnovor Arch. It has been a couple year since I was last there.

Take lots of pictures and post them here!

James

Thanks for the info James! We ended up camping about 5 miles in along Cottonwood Canyon Rd. from the Kodachrome end. It was a pretty decent place. About the time we were finishing getting set up, a guy on a 4 wheeler rolled into camp. He said his name was Ely, and invited us around to the other side of the hill to his camp. He also said that we'd set up on his mining claim: Sure enough, one of the survey markers was almost in the middle of camp.

He said that he didn't care though. So a big thank you to Ely!

The rest of the trip was great, except we didn't get to explore the Round Valley slot because rain was threatening that day so we chose to let it go.

I'll post some pictures soon when I figure out the Flickr method that seems to be preferred.

Brian

23' trailer! I'm starting to consider a highway 95 to highway 12 trip on CC road in an Accord. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by UintaSolitude View Post
    23' trailer! I'm starting to consider a highway 95 to highway 12 trip on CC road in an Accord. Any thoughts?
    Ought to be doable. The road wasn't too bad; we passed a Lexus sedan on the way to Grosvenor Arch. There's a couple places you'd have to drive careful so you don't drag bottom though and my understanding is you don't want any part of that road if it's muddy. Have fun! I'm headed back first opportunity, I'm not even close to done exploring around there!

In my opinion doing it in an Accord would be impossible.The southern section of Cottonwood Canyon Road was really bad the last two times I went down it. Most recently in Spring of '08. Specifically where the road runs along side the Paria river from Yellow Rock until the last few miles before Hwy 89. There are also a lot of rather steep sections in the middle and northern side that could be tricky in a 2WD car. We did it in a Toyota 4-Runner and I remember thinking how glad I was that we didn't take my wife's Subaru Outback... I'm not sure it would have made it through the rocks and ruts on the south end.